Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:40 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: colin
Last Name: north
Focus: Build
A few days ago I contacted SM to point out hat their new website had a glitch (link that didn't work) and was contacted 2 days later with an apology saying it had been fixed - not much wrong with that.

Catgut is an abbreviation of the word cattle gut. Gut strings are made from sheep or goat intestines, in the past even from horse, mule or donkey intestines.

Otherwise it could be from the word kitgut or kitstring. Kit meant fiddle, not kitten.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:58 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Josh
Dan Miller wrote:
Just a recent anecdote. I ordered three different sets of Erlewine DVDs last week. The order arrived on Saturday, with two of the DVDs and one of the new style ZFiles. I used the contact form on Saturday to notify SM about the mixup. I got email yesterday (wednesday) from Richard L. apologizing both for the mixup and the delay in responding. The missing DVD has been shipped, and I was offered the option of paying for the file at a 25% discount, or getting a return authorization and shipping label. Being a sucker for gadgets, I opted to keep and pay for the file.

FWIW, anyways.
Dan

After singing SM’s praises earlier in this thread, last week my latest order arrived … without a tool I’d been waiting on that was holding up a customers job, and with a set of Waverley tuners that I didn’t order.

I emailed SM and it took 72 hours for them to reply. They offered to express ship the missing tool (which I appreciate) but said it was on me to organise return of the waverly tuners at my expense and they’d then reimburse me the shipping cost.

(They say since I’m outside the US their usual system of mailing out a merchandise return label doesn’t work.)

Now, I’m not expecting a free lunch here, but in my opinion it should be on them, the vendor, to organize and pay for fedex or whoever to come pick these tuners up. Why should I have to drive the tuners across town and front the cash to fix stewmac’s mistake?

Am I being unreasonable? Their email did land in my inbox pre-coffee :D

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:17 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Is this getting to be a thing with StewMac?
Did they charge you for the tuners you didn't order? In some circumstances you can consider it free merchandise when a merchant sends you an item in the mail you didn't order. If you paid with a credit card you can dispute the charges.
https://lifehacker.com/you-re-allowed-t ... 1789443602

If StewMac keeps sending out stuff people didn't order and then expects customers to mail it back to them on their nickel they may be in for a rude awakening. I'm sure StewMac adds a handling charge - will they pay the customer a handling charge for the trouble of sending it back?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:21 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Jay
Last Name: De Rocher
City: Bothell
State: Washington
Clay S. wrote:
Is this getting to be a thing with StewMac?
Did they charge you for the tuners you didn't order? In some circumstances you can consider it free merchandise when a merchant sends you an item in the mail you didn't order. If you paid with a credit card you can dispute the charges.
https://lifehacker.com/you-re-allowed-t ... 1789443602

If StewMac keeps sending out stuff people didn't order and then expects customers to mail it back to them on their nickel they may be in for a rude awakening. I'm sure StewMac adds a handling charge - will they pay the customer a handling charge for the trouble of sending it back?

I was also wondering about whether they had charged him for the tuners. What leverage do they have to get the tuners back at all? Seems to me they should be going out of their way to get them back with absolutely no hassle for josh.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:16 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Barry
Last Name: Daniels
This is not the StewMac of old. What a shame.

These users thanked the author Barry Daniels for the post: Hesh (Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:58 am)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:05 pm 
Koa
Koa

I don’t think I was charged for the tuners, they just ended up in the box along with all the other stuff I ordered.

I was certainly charged for the tool that didn’t arrive. But it seems like they’re fixing that and I get that accidents happen.

I have no intention of keeping these tuners I haven’t paid for. But I also have no intention of bearing the actual shipping cost plus the opportunity cost of time spent organising shipping, just to fix stewmacs error. My business isn’t huge but it’s still a business and time has some value. I guess we’ll see what SM says when I explain that.

These users thanked the author joshnothing for the post: Dave Rickard (Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:04 am)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:57 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Mike
Last Name: O'Melia
City: Huntsville
State: Alabama
windsurfer wrote:
Is Brock still running their customer service and marketing?

Wow. That was low laughing6-hehe

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:50 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

If these items are not showing on an invoice, I wonder how many buyers are finding "extras" in the box and not mentioning it to StewMac?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:06 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

City: Lenoir City
State: TN
Zip/Postal Code: 37772
Focus: Repair
I've done 3 orders from them this month, my usual combo of parts and the odd tool. The first two arrived on time and with the correct items. Third order should be here tomorrow so we'll see.

Edit: order #3 got here on time and with the correct items. Sounds like StewMac may have a bit of a hit or miss problem, maybe some untrained new people or ??

Last edited by SteveSmith on Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:41 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Bob
Last Name: Gramann
City: Fredericksburg
State: VA
Zip/Postal Code: 22408
I had an interchange with customer service a couple of weeks ago. It took 3 days for them to answer my request, but all was resolved satisfactorily with no problems. I would suggest cutting them a bit of slack. Business has not been as usual for a year and a half now. Folks are meeting all kinds of challenges just trying to do what used to be easy. Many jobs are going unfilled due to the lack of applicants. It’s not ideal, but maybe just do them a favor and send the tuners back the next time you go across town.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:31 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Yeah, there's a problem at Stewmac IMO. I ordered one of of the ebony fingerboard specials they had recently, It was just thrown into a box, hardly any packing, not strapped to a support board and it arrived broken in half at the 7th fret. Oh,and it was also missing an inlay. Over the last 2/1/2 weeks I've tried several times to contact them via the contact us for "world class" customer support, no replies, no phone number listed anywhere, old phone number doesn't work. So it appears that I'm stuck with it thanks to their "world class" customer service. It wasn't a lot of money, but.. I will say that it was a nice piece of ebony and a very good deal. So if anyone scored some of those, way to go.
How you go from 5 star customer support to 0 star customer support overnight I don't know. This is more than a Covid problem, unless they're a one man show who has Covid. I don't think so.

Last edited by Jim Watts on Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:25 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Private equity firms often make changes to make a business more "profitable". That may be one reason customer service has changed for the worse. Another thing they sometimes do is cut employee benefits, which can create disgruntled employees who no longer take pride in their work and may do things like carelessly fill orders, leaving out some things and adding in other (un-billed) expensive items to get back at the company. This is all "speculative fiction" on my part - I have no real knowledge of what is going on at StewMac, but there does seem to be a trend of companies cutting real wages and benefits and then complaining they can't find good help.
I think the pandemic has shown people how they are truly valued by "business". Even the Chinese are dealing with "tang ping" - "laying flat". The younger generation is eschewing the rat race's hamster wheel that makes them run faster without getting ahead.
https://www.thedailybeast.com/how-lying ... s-by-storm

Last edited by Clay S. on Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:26 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

This is very discouraging. I think the first order I ever made to Stew Mac was in about 1992. I used to love to thumb through the catalog and the little tips sections they had in their for building and repair. I have literally NEVER had a problem with them and in fact they have been exemplary in every way.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:32 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Yes, they literally had world class customer service. We've been spoiled by our suppliers like Stewmac, LMI , Allied and the various other suppliers that pride themselves on customer service. Let's hope the others don't follow Stewmacs lead.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:49 pm 
Koa
Koa

bobgramann wrote:
I had an interchange with customer service a couple of weeks ago. It took 3 days for them to answer my request, but all was resolved satisfactorily with no problems. I would suggest cutting them a bit of slack. Business has not been as usual for a year and a half now. Folks are meeting all kinds of challenges just trying to do what used to be easy. Many jobs are going unfilled due to the lack of applicants. It’s not ideal, but maybe just do them a favor and send the tuners back the next time you go across town.

Maybe I should cut them some slack. On the other hand, I’m running my little business during a global pandemic too - will they cut me some slack? The answer is, apparently not.

I’ve been very happy with SM over the years but our relationship is 100% transactional. I have paid a fair rate for every item I’ve purchased from SM. I get what I need, they make money. Neither of us owes the other anything - it’s just business.

I explained to SM that I thought it was fair if they took responsibility for organising return shipping on the item, so I wasn’t losing time and fronting cash to fix their mistake. I also mentioned that I thought they weren’t offering the same quality of customer service as in years gone by.

Their response was (and I quote): “thanks for the feedback, we definitely understand.”

But their position is mostly unchanged. They have now offered to front the cost for shipping if I organise it and do the legwork to get the item on its way. How generous of them.

I guess I’m just perplexed by this situation where I’m at work in the shop here, minding my own business when suddenly something I didn’t ask for lands on my doorstep and I now am apparently obligated to find time to run an errand for poor ol’ SM so they aren’t out the money on this piece of merchandise. Nearest shipping centre is about an hour drive round-trip.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:58 pm 
Koa
Koa

jfmckenna wrote:
This is very discouraging. I think the first order I ever made to Stew Mac was in about 1992. I used to love to thumb through the catalog and the little tips sections they had in their for building and repair. I have literally NEVER had a problem with them and in fact they have been exemplary in every way.

I’ve only been an SM customer 10 years but this is the first time they’ve been anything other than fantastic. I use to marvel at how they’d get a package of urgently needed supplies from their warehouse in Ohio to my shop in Australia in under 72 hours. They never once made an error and email enquiries were answered within hours.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:11 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Jim Watts wrote:
Yes, they literally had world class customer service. We've been spoiled by our suppliers like Stewmac, LMI , Allied and the various other suppliers that pride themselves on customer service. Let's hope the others don't follow Stewmacs lead.

One reason StewMac has been successful is because of the added value of the little tweaks they make to the tools, the convenience of "one stop" shopping, and the superior customer service they gave. It's certainly not the pricing. It's not a business you can run with a Big Box Store mindset.
Josh,
Would StewMac have been aware of their mistake if you hadn't contacted them? As Bob mentioned, you don't have to make a special trip to send the tuners back, you can do it next time you happen to be in the area. That is what I would do.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:47 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Barry
Last Name: Daniels
I don't know about you guys, but I won't be buying from them until or if they fix this.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:55 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Jay
Last Name: De Rocher
City: Bothell
State: Washington
joshnothing wrote:
I guess I’m just perplexed by this situation where I’m at work in the shop here, minding my own business when suddenly something I didn’t ask for lands on my doorstep and I now am apparently obligated to find time to run an errand for poor ol’ SM so they aren’t out the money on this piece of merchandise. Nearest shipping centre is about an hour drive round-trip.

You likely know this, but you are under no obligation whatsoever to fix their mistake. If you feel like doing them a favor, you of course can do that, but it's entirely at your discretion. If it was me with that hour drive, I would tell them to step up and take care of it on their own, or write it off as a loss. Their choice.

Post subject: WTH IS StewMacs Problem
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:48 am 
Koa
Koa

Clay S. wrote:
Josh,
Would StewMac have been aware of their mistake if you hadn't contacted them? As Bob mentioned, you don't have to make a special trip to send the tuners back, you can do it next time you happen to be in the area. That is what I would do.

They wouldn’t have known if I hadn’t told them - the tuners were at the bottom of the box of goods, I hadn’t ordered them, they weren’t listed on the packing slip.

I thought I’d better let them know ASAP as i figured there must be some other guy opening his order to find out the tuners he’d been waiting on were missing!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:26 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: peter
Last Name: havriluk
City: granby
State: ct
Zip/Postal Code: 06035
Considering the cost of labor and interruptions to both the sender and the recipient, if I got a surprise addition to my order that wasn't on the packing slip, I think I'd add the freebie to my inventory and carry on. Not the same thing, but many times I've ordered stuff that needed to get returned, and I've been told to just keep it, we'll make the order right. Done. It may well cost a vendor more to negotiate the return of stuff sent in error than the item cost them in the first place.

I doubt that a vendor would inadvertently pack something really costly by mistake, but I'm not the one doing the packing.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:44 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

phavriluk wrote:
Considering the cost of labor and interruptions to both the sender and the recipient, if I got a surprise addition to my order that wasn't on the packing slip, I think I'd add the freebie to my inventory and carry on. Not the same thing, but many times I've ordered stuff that needed to get returned, and I've been told to just keep it, we'll make the order right. Done. It may well cost a vendor more to negotiate the return of stuff sent in error than the item cost them in the first place.

I doubt that a vendor would inadvertently pack something really costly by mistake, but I'm not the one doing the packing.

Something similar happened recently with a USB cable I ordered for my Olympus E-P3 camera. The vendor stated that it worked with this model, but it didn't. When I apprised him of this, but that it did work for the OMD-em5 and 5ii which take a similar looking cable he said he would refund my money and to just keep the cable. Since it did work for the other cameras, I told him to just refund 1/2 the monies ($4) as I could use it as a spare. I'm still looking for a cable that will work for the E-P3 so I don't have to pull the SD card each time to download photos.
When a vendor sends me a return shipping label, I send the item back. It's a bit of a hassle but if they return my money it's only fair to send the item back.
Most vendors wouldn't intentionally send something really costly that wasn't ordered, but a disgruntled employee might! gaah laughing6-hehe Many people wouldn't complain about finding extra stuff in the box they weren't charged for.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:58 pm 
Koa
Koa

In case anyone was staying tuned for the thrilling conclusion - you will recall SM had sent me a set of tuners I didn’t order or pay for, and neglected to send me another item I did pay for. We’re still at stalemate on the tuners. But when I brought the missing item to their attention around a month ago they apologised and said they’d ship the it immediately.

Having still not received it after 30 days, I sent them a gentle enquiry this week. After the (now normal) 48hr wait to receive a reply, they got in touch to let me know that, whoops! turns out they had forgotten to ship the item *again*.

Assuming they remember to mail it this time, total wait time on my order of this in-stock item will be around nine weeks.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:59 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Chris
Last Name: Pile
City: Wichita
State: Kansas
Focus: Repair
That is unacceptable.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:09 pm 
Koa
Koa

I sure hope this is a one off kind of incident. I've had great luck with Stew Mac's service and products since the 70's. Things can change though...

Dave

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next