Koa
Koa

First name: Richard
Last Name: Hutchings
City: Warwick
State: RI
Zip/Postal Code: 02889
Focus: Build
I have some cheap guitars I'd like to shave the braces. I can do very little with the tools I have any suggestions?

Get the heck off the couch and go build a guitar!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:55 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: colin
Last Name: north
Something like this?
https://www.amazon.com/Fityle-Woodworking-Carpenter-Woodcraft-Smoothing/dp/B08HJ6B68N/ref=sr_1_16?dchild=1&keywords=Wood+Planer+Hand+Tool%2C+Thumb+Plane%2C+Wood+Hand+Plane+Tool+Mini+Plane+Wood&qid=1629057196&sr=8-16
Or this?
https://www.amazon.com/Unxuey-Trimming-Woodworking-Woodcraft-Instrument/dp/B07T53G6NL/ref=sr_1_16?dchild=1&keywords=Wood+Planer+Hand+Tool%2C+Thumb+Plane%2C+Wood+Hand+Plane+Tool+Mini+Plane+Wood&qid=1629057312&sr=8-16

Catgut is an abbreviation of the word cattle gut. Gut strings are made from sheep or goat intestines, in the past even from horse, mule or donkey intestines.

Otherwise it could be from the word kitgut or kitstring. Kit meant fiddle, not kitten.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:58 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Colin North wrote:

I prefer the wooden ones for making convex soles if scooping braces.

Catgut is an abbreviation of the word cattle gut. Gut strings are made from sheep or goat intestines, in the past even from horse, mule or donkey intestines.

Otherwise it could be from the word kitgut or kitstring. Kit meant fiddle, not kitten.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:35 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: John
Last Name: Parchem
City: Seattle
State: Wa
Zip/Postal Code: 98177
Sticky sandpaper and your fingers

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 4:21 pm 
Koa
Koa

I can do very little with my violin planes. Sticky sandpaper might be a good way but very slow. I'll give it a shot.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:19 pm 
Koa
Koa

I reached in with an Xacto knife with the curved end blade. Can't say I was very precise.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:29 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

banjopicks wrote:
I can do very little with my violin planes. Sticky sandpaper might be a good way but very slow. I'll give it a shot.

This might be a bit quicker (maybe too quick!) but you might want to shorten the handle (or not):

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/pfei ... made-scorp

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:34 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Brian
City: U.P.
State: Michigan
I don't understand your "violin" planes not working well.

I have a couple Ibex finger planes with round soles. They're probably my most trusted tool for final carving of braces. Probably the only tool for carving a curved surface blind that I'd trust to the point of feeling totally comfortable.

I love 'em. Push them or spin around and pull, no problem.

Of course now you can get little USB cameras and look at the inside of a guitar, even with your arm in the hole.

Next best thing to being there.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:58 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Pat
Last Name: Foster
This topic comes up every few years. Here's a thread I posted to a while back.

http://luthiersforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10101&t=51154&p=673560&hilit=spokeshave#p673560

I usually pull it. Still my fave.

http://www.patfosterguitars.com

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:56 am 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
I've used finger plans and they worked well. You are working blind so having a good feel of what the tool is doing is important and being able to reach into the box far enough is necessary too.

It is hit and miss though and your results are subjective in the sense that there are lots of variable here. The one of my own that I did this on was number 6 I believe and I was still searching for my own bracing style and patterns. So I overpriced the hell out of my first attempt at "tapered" or parabolic braces.

That guitar benefitted from some scalloping and material removal but I can't prove that what I hear is any improvement. What I suspect that I heard was the emergence of something that was lacking, more bass. And that is exactly what I would expect as the top gets floppier and the Helmholtz response changes.

I would never do this commercially by the way again it's too subjective and hit and miss. In the case of the one I did I did want to use that guitar so it was worth while. But is there any real learning value in the exercise in my view, no. Doing to improve an instrument, hopefully that you want to use but as something to learn to be a Luthiers it's not something Luthiers commonly do commercially and with good reason too we are dramatically altering an instrument with no guarantees that any value will result.

Just want to give you a North Star that our commercial shop uses to guide us in what we take on repair wise: Is the job something that we have experience with? Is the work predictable? Has prior work made our outcome skewed? Is there a defined beginning, a defined ending and a mutually agreed upon definition of success? All these things have to be in place or we won't take the job on.

You can see that #4 is in question with brace shaving.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:06 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

banjopicks wrote:
I have some cheap guitars I'd like to shave the braces. I can do very little with the tools I have any suggestions?

I did have a request from a Taylor owner for a fret job and " could I do something about the lack of bass", it sounded absolutely dead.
I was reluctant, and said so.
But when working on the fret job, I checked the rotation of the bridge under string tension - it was about 0.8 degrees. Also checked top thickness, 3.1mm (0.122") Sitka, thick for average spruce, so I felt there was a good margin there to thin the braces.. So I discussed and said I would try to work the braces.
I took very fine shavings, checking the bridge rotation often, until it reached 1.9/2.0 degrees, and then a quick light sand and stopped.
The result was not stellar, but was vastly improved to what it was when bought to me, very happy client.
I only did this because I have worked my own guitar braces through the soundhole several times, but if you're working on cheap guitars, go for it.
Somogyi actively encourages this experimentally with overbuilt inexpensive guitars, and Gore gives 2 degrees as a target for bridge rotation.

These users thanked the author Colin North for the post: Pmaj7 (Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:11 pm)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:29 am 
Koa
Koa

I sure wish I had one of Alice's cakes.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:13 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

banjopicks wrote:
I sure wish I had one of Alice's cakes.

Specially for you....

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:47 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Save me a slice!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:00 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Barry
Last Name: Daniels
Shaving braces could be quantifiable if you used spectrum analysis before and after.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:04 am 
Koa
Koa

Don't get all scientific on me now. I do enough of that at work and prefer to do things by the seat of my pants when I'm home.

You have me thinking though.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:29 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

The nice thing about quantifying is that you can figure out what the problem is. This helps with Hesh's question about defining end points. It also helps to avoid making more trouble for yourself down the road. Knowing the 'main top' and 'main back' resonant pitches, and the bridge rotation under string tension, you can see what you can try to move to get the result you want. You can also do experiments with mass loading the top/back or restricting the sound hole size, to see what's effective and get input from the customer before you do anything that can't easily be undone. Of course, you can do all of this with educated fingers and tap tones, if you're a technophobe, but that takes some time and experience to learn. If you've got some sacrificial junkers ('el kabong specials') to practice on that's a good way to start. One issue with shaving top braces is that the results of going too far may not show up for some time (as in months or even years) and a few of those out in the local music community won't help your reputation much.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:35 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Schneider brace shaving plane and a butt chisel.

Pat

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:59 am 
Koa
Koa

rbuddy wrote:
I don't understand your "violin" planes not working well.

I have a couple Ibex finger planes with round soles. They're probably my most trusted tool for final carving of braces. Probably the only tool for carving a curved surface blind that I'd trust to the point of feeling totally comfortable.

I love 'em. Push them or spin around and pull, no problem.

Of course now you can get little USB cameras and look at the inside of a guitar, even with your arm in the hole.

Next best thing to being there.

I gave them another try and they work but I still can't reach far enough to get the braces I truly want to scallop or diminish in some way. I thing some kind of rotary tool while using a camera might be the best option.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:18 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Leonard
Last Name: Duke
City: Kalamazoo
State: MI
Zip/Postal Code: 49001
Focus: Repair
I have done this to maybe ten guitars over the last 50 years but only under these conditions:
1. the guitar must be already a good guitar, well-made with a nice sound.
2. It just seems like the sound could be better and bigger.
3. I have another guitar available to me that is about the same size, braced the same way, made with pretty close the same woods, that sounds much better than mine.
I thump both guitars with a finger or thumb starting at the bridge spreading all over the top and trying to follow the braces. A little mirror on a stick is helpful. When I find a spot where the good example guitar sounds bassier than mine, I remove unbelievably small flakes of spruce from the brace under the spot. After two hours I'll have a total pile of wood flakes equal in weight to maybe two small crickets, removed a bit at a time from many locations. And my guitar is more fun to play.
If you get greedy and try to take your guitar farther than the model you can wreck the sound dramatically and the only way to fix it is to glue more spruce inside! Much better to be cautious! This is not that scientific of a procedure so think of moving your guitar two-thirds of the way towards the model.
As someone else mentioned, I only do this on a guitar that belongs to me. I like what Somogyi says about tapping.