PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:52 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Ken
Last Name: Nagy
City: Goodrich
State: MI
Focus: Build
Ever have the Do do do do Do do do do, twilight zone days? Well maybe not THAT bad, but weird stuff? I decided to put the bronze strings on the arch top. It sounds a lot like the Stauffer with the nylons. The Stauffer might be better! So I loosened the strings, saw that it only moved up .5mm at the bridge, and went for it.

I hated the hideous tailpiece, so I made a new one. I made it shorter to give the strings more spring. The tightness was what I didn't like. Weak fingers I guess, but I wasn't playing at all. The tailpiece weighs 1/2 of the other, and looks way better; at least I think so.

Attachment:
IMG_0541.jpg

Attachment:
IMG_0542.jpg

Then I couldn't find the bone nut. Ok, I need a new nut anyway, the strings are thinner. But where could it have gone.

The strings were kinda short, because the tailpiece was a least 1/2" shorter than before, so a couple strings weren't on the tuners when I was starting to fit the ebony nut. I have ebony. I don't have bone. I saw it fall off the guitar, and onto the floor. I looked for 10 minutes, and couldn't find it. Went upstairs, came down and it was right on the floor, where I was standing. I couldn't have missed it.

So the nut is in the slot, the slots are in, the strings are still maybe a mm too high, and I bring it up to pitch. The high e keeps moving. The nylgut e on the Stauffer drops every day still, so I figure it is just the bends from being wound on the peg stretching out because it is longer now. I check to see how much it moved at the bridge. It seems like it is still something just under the 20mm it started at, and ting; the e brakes.

You know what happened.

The string isn't anywhere. The ball was under the tailpiece. There is a light over the head. It isn't anywhere. NO the ball isn't found, but it WAS under the tailpiece before it broke!

It's just weird.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Weirdness?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:13 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Carl
Last Name: Dickinson
City: Forest Ranch
State: California
Zip/Postal Code: 95942
Focus: Build
I know, Ken. Sometimes I think there are gremlins in my shop idunno. I bought a set of ebony bass bridge pins for an ABG I'm working on and my Basset Hound puppies helped themselves to them. One whole one remained so I bought another set. I had them on a workbench in the shop and they started disappearing, one at a time and even the pieces of the first set. When it got down to three of them (it's a 4 string bass) I got out some mousetraps. I've gotten 4 so far but can't find their nest with my other pins duh . Ordered more but won't leave them out this time [uncle] .

Post subject: Re: Weirdness?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:14 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

City: Lenoir City
State: TN
Zip/Postal Code: 37772
Focus: Repair
In my experience you will find the old bone nut about the time you finish making the new bone nut laughing6-hehe

I agree, the new tailpiece definitely looks nicer.