Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Ed
Last Name: Bond
City: Vancouver
Focus: Build
https://youtu.be/NZDCRFi8dKY

Might be time to look past abranet...

These users thanked the author meddlingfool for the post (total 2): Clay S. (Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:53 am) • Barry Daniels (Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:34 pm)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:19 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Thanks. Not dull for me. I ordered a few discs of the 80 and 120 grit 3m Extract off Ebay to give it a try. I will report back.

These users thanked the author guitarjtb for the post (total 2): Pmaj7 (Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:41 am) • Chris Ide (Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:19 pm)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:17 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

City: Lenoir City
State: TN
Zip/Postal Code: 37772
Focus: Repair
Nope, not dull at all. I’ve been an Abranet fan for a while, I do like the mesh abrasives. I’ll have to try the 3M Xtract.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:46 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Ed
Last Name: Bond
City: Vancouver
Focus: Build
I’ve been very satisfied with abranet. I usually get three guitars out of a set of 120/180/220 disks. But if this stuff is even better, well heck yeah!

These users thanked the author meddlingfool for the post: Pmaj7 (Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:45 pm)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:45 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

There is a reason to have "good" sandpaper and a reason to have "cheap" sandpaper. Sometimes I find myself sanding a material that will clog up the sandpaper before it is worn out and either change to a scraper or use the cheap stuff. This is also a good reason to save worn out discs- It give's them the last hurrah! - the Picket's charge of sanding.
I didn't see them mention the quality of the surface the sanding disc's leave. Some disc's are poorly grades and will leave swirl marks from the few stray grits that are oversized. Micron papers don't seem to have this problem.
One chart I did find very helpful was the one showing the amounts removed during each 5 minute interval. Most pros don't use the same piece of sandpaper for 20 minutes, so the amounts removed during the first 10 minutes are what count and factor into the labor cost. For hobbyists this is less critical - we can drone away with dull sandpaper if we so desire.
Overall it seemed like a pretty good test and will probably help sell a lot of ceramic sandpapers.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:05 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

It did not go over the quality of the sanding though. I have always trusted 3M stuff but I would be weary of a rogue particle on some of the cheap big box brand papers. I use Festool simply because, as mentioned in the video, it fits their own tools. Frankly that kind of peeved me when I found out about that after the fact. But it seems to be good stuff.

Frankly for guitar stuff I don't think I want the kind of paper that rips through wood the best. I have already thinned out the wood to where I think it is best for the tone of the guitar so I just want to polish it out.