Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:48 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Bryan
Last Name: Bear
City: St. Louis
State: Mo
Focus: Build
James Orr wrote:
doncaparker wrote:
It should not take the effort Hesh had to invest in order to get a resolution.

Or that level of personal connection. What about the guys that can’t just call Dan or get noticed by Brock? I don’t think the issue was resolved so much as Hesh was placated thanks to his industry ties.

I’m stunned by the turn Stew-Mac’s taken, and until any ordinary person can get in touch with them or get their issues resolved, nothing has been addressed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is what I have been thinking since this turned into “Stew Mac is taking care of the issue now.”

The online community is seeing a rash of people complaining about the customer service Stew Mac is now providing. It is way beyond the few threads here. I want to be lenient and understanding to the current times but there seems to be more too it than that. I don’t think that Hesh knowing Brock or Dan and getting some resolution is in anyway indicative of the problem being addressed. In some ways it feels like the opposite. I’d like to believe that this thread here will be the push to get the company to resolve their issues but I’m not convinced. It is not like they are just now hearing that the community is disappointed with their service because Hesh spoke up.

People have been complaining to stew Mac, they have to be aware. If they have not been, and it simply took Hesh talking to Brock about his amp, the. Whoever is steering the ship is truly lost.

Take care of your feet, and your feet will take care of you.

These users thanked the author Bryan Bear for the post: Hesh (Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:20 am)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:55 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I think it's important in this day and age to point out misinformation regardless of 'rules.' This is the kind of misinformation that has led to a very high percentage of the 700,000+ Americans that have already died.

I have never been so busy in my shop since the pandemic hit. I had a hard time getting gloves for French Polish and N-95 masks for wood dust but that's about it. I've always had a sort of reluctant social life too. Every Friday at the same watering hole, bike rides on Wednesday evening and weekends, hiking and so on. And now I have come to love the excuse that I can't go out because of the pandemic, I'll just stay in my happy place, my workshop, building and restoring old beautiful guitars.

So for me personally covid was an excuse to actually work harder! But I have too indeed noticed it in other places as an excuse to reduce services. Here's to hoping that this is not the case at Stewmac.

These users thanked the author jfmckenna for the post: Hesh (Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:20 am)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:01 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Dan
Last Name: Miller
City: Cape Vincent
State: NY
Zip/Postal Code: 13618
Woodie G wrote:
You might consider the Bassman Micro plans-built amplifier from Rob Robinette for your next,

I second the Bassman Micro - it was my second amp, first being a Champ Micro, also by Rob Robinette.

These users thanked the author Dan Miller for the post (total 2): Sasamat&Trimble (Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:14 pm) • Hesh (Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:21 am)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:17 am 
Mahogany
Mahogany

First name: Josh
Last Name: French
City: Houston
State: TX
James Orr wrote:
doncaparker wrote:

Or that level of personal connection. What about the guys that can’t just call Dan or get noticed by Brock? I don’t think the issue was resolved so much as Hesh was placated thanks to his industry ties.

I’m stunned by the turn Stew-Mac’s taken, and until any ordinary person can get in touch with them or get their issues resolved, nothing has been addressed.

Does this summarize the complaints?

1.) Defective part
2.) No phone number
3.) Did not respond to email within 24 hours

I am confident StewMac would have replaced the defective part without Brock or Dan getting involved. That may have taken a couple more days, and I appreciate the annoyance factor, but I don't think you need connections for StewMac to make something right. When I email them, they email me back. Not immediately, but they do try to be helpful.

These users thanked the author jfrench79 for the post: Hesh (Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:22 am)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:21 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

jfrench79 wrote:
James Orr wrote:
doncaparker wrote:

1.) Defective part
2.) No phone number

I am confident StewMac would have replaced the defective part without Brock or Dan getting involved. That may have taken a couple more days, and I appreciate the annoyance factor, but I don't think you need connections for StewMac to make something right. When I email them, they email me back. Not immediately, but they do try to be helpful.

I wouldn't be so confident. They didn't do it for me with a broken fingerboard.

These users thanked the author Jim Watts for the post: Hesh (Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:23 am)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:29 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: peter
Last Name: havriluk
City: granby
State: ct
Zip/Postal Code: 06035
Expressing 'confidence' in an inaccessible ghost business (If you don't answer a phone, don't answer e-mails, don't resolve problems, you're a ghost business) is based on what, exactly?

But they enjoy taking your money.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:11 am 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
Woodie G wrote:
You might consider the Bassman Micro plans-built amplifier from Rob Robinette for your next, thus avoiding dependence on the support chain from the kit manufacturer or distributor. Mr. Robinette has a huge builder base for his low-power and full-power interpretations of classic amps like the 59 Bassman/Marshall JTM45 and excellent support on the Shock Brothers forum on TDPRI. I have the cabinet (sans the pink and brown Tolex) and the BOM for Mr. Robinette's 1963 AB763 SRV-inspired Blackvibe (a single channel reverb-less/trem-less blackface Vibroverb) that sits waiting for time and attention... a Strymon Flint will handle the vibrato channel duties should I become a much, much more accomplished player as a result of freak COVID booster vaccine modifications to my DNA (nothing is impossible, right?) or (more likely) time to practice.

The Bassman Micro in particular is a near-ideal small repair shop amp...enough power to get obnoxious and quite gig-able volume levels, a master volume to allow both clean and tweed distortion at reasonable bedroom or basement volumes, and two different power levels just from swapping out the single power tube. We built a total of four micro-Bassman at Greenridge, including my own (pink turret board material was almost impossible to find!), and all used lighter-weight white pine dovetailed cabinets and the higher output 12BH7A power tube in push-pull configuration. I later converted mine to the EZ81 tube rectifier configuration, but the other shop amps are all still diode rectified amps in keeping with their dedicated shop amp role.

https://robrobinette.com/Bassman_Micro.htm

Woodie this is great stuff, thank You! I am very interested in a Bassman and have a Fender 59 Bassman repro in my home.

You're right these make great shop amps too we have the Peavey version of the 59 Bassman in our shop too.

Being partial to the Tweed tone my 57 Champ, 59 StewMac 15 watt and 59 Fender all look like poppa bear, momma bear and baby bear with the same look jsut different overall sizes.

I know that Todd is an engineer EE? and that would be a great person to have to help with one of these. How is the documentation is it good enough to get them together without being an electronics person?

I'm very interested and thanks for the lead here, very cool. Might get myself a birthday present with one of these. I find it very relaxing wiring and soldering and I'm hooked.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:19 am 

Bryan Bear wrote:
James Orr wrote:
doncaparker wrote:

This is what I have been thinking since this turned into “Stew Mac is taking care of the issue now.”

The online community is seeing a rash of people complaining about the customer service Stew Mac is now providing. It is way beyond the few threads here. I want to be lenient and understanding to the current times but there seems to be more too it than that. I don’t think that Hesh knowing Brock or Dan and getting some resolution is in anyway indicative of the problem being addressed. In some ways it feels like the opposite. I’d like to believe that this thread here will be the push to get the company to resolve their issues but I’m not convinced. It is not like they are just now hearing that the community is disappointed with their service because Hesh spoke up.

People have been complaining to stew Mac, they have to be aware. If they have not been, and it simply took Hesh talking to Brock about his amp, the. Whoever is steering the ship is truly lost.

This thread here has the attention of top SM management and they are responding very well to me and they are also very aware, now of these issues impacting others. I do know Dan personally, he is a friend and Brock too and they both came forward to help me.

Without giving details, people do share confidences with me I strongly suspect that things will improve for all shortly. Please remember every industry has massive supply chain issues and the trade war is also taking it's toll since I live in the Detroit area and the auto industry is way down too, no chips...

There are some good reasons, this is all I can share why SM had issues and has issues and I also know of other good reasons why this will improve. I would hang in and expect SM's legendary customer service to return and I try very hard to never, never mislead people. That's all I can say and remain who I am as a person. I hope you understand and thanks.

One last thing. I'm a natural cynic but the duality of Hesh has me also believing in people, good people who want to do the right thing much if not most of the time. SM has excellent people and that's going to result in resolution and improvement. That's my belief.

It will get better.

Last edited by Hesh on Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:21 am 

Dan Miller wrote:
Woodie G wrote:
You might consider the Bassman Micro plans-built amplifier from Rob Robinette for your next,

I second the Bassman Micro - it was my second amp, first being a Champ Micro, also by Rob Robinette.

Very cool Dan I see one in my future too.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:23 am 

jfrench79 wrote:
James Orr wrote:
doncaparker wrote:

1.) Defective part
2.) No phone number

Completely agree and I am a very impatient SOB too which made things worse. Thanks for this post, much appreciated and some talking us off the ledge is very welcome and appropriate too.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:35 am 

So SM is shipping out a new grill to me today and they gave me the choice of a new grill or a new cabinet. I choose the grill because I recognize that we all benefit from a strong, profitable, functioning StewMac.

I have to say that this is great service especially when I am not being asked to return anything, ever. It does not get better than this for me.

There were delays, I know some of the reasons(s) why now and can't share but I am confidant that other folks issues will be resolved in time too. Perfect storms do happen, sadly. And none of us have to be very bright to know what's changed in the last 18 months either....

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:13 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Bryan
Last Name: Bear
City: St. Louis
State: Mo
Hesh wrote:

This thread here has the attention of top SM management and they are responding very well to me and they are also very aware, now of these issues impacting others. I do know Dan personally, he is a friend and Brock too and they both came forward to help me.

Without giving details, people do share confidences with me I strongly suspect that things will improve for all shortly. Please remember every industry has massive supply chain issues and the trade war is also taking it's toll since I live in the Detroit area and the auto industry is way down too, no chips...

There are some good reasons, this is all I can share why SM had issues and has issues and I also know of other good reasons why this will improve. I would hang in and expect SM's legendary customer service to return and I try very hard to never, never mislead people. That's all I can say and remain who I am as a person. I hope you understand and thanks.

One last thing. I'm a natural cynic but the duality of Hesh has be also believing in people, good people who want to do the right thing much if not most of the time. SM has excellent people and that's going to result in resolution and improvement. That's my belief.

It will get better.

I really do hope you are right and things do get back on track. It would be a shame to think that a company noted for its exemplary customer service would let that lapse. I don't want to sound cynical because I really do hope things get sorted out.

Take care of your feet, and your feet will take care of you.

These users thanked the author Bryan Bear for the post: Hesh (Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:39 am)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:09 pm 

Woodie G wrote:
You might consider the Bassman Micro plans-built amplifier from Rob Robinette for your next, thus avoiding dependence on the support chain from the kit manufacturer or distributor. Mr. Robinette has a huge builder base for his low-power and full-power interpretations of classic amps like the 59 Bassman/Marshall JTM45 and excellent support on the Shock Brothers forum on TDPRI. I have the cabinet (sans the pink and brown Tolex) and the BOM for Mr. Robinette's 1963 AB763 SRV-inspired Blackvibe (a single channel reverb-less/trem-less blackface Vibroverb) that sits waiting for time and attention... a Strymon Flint will handle the vibrato channel duties should I become a much, much more accomplished player as a result of freak COVID booster vaccine modifications to my DNA (nothing is impossible, right?) or (more likely) time to practice.

The Bassman Micro in particular is a near-ideal small repair shop amp...enough power to get obnoxious and quite gig-able volume levels, a master volume to allow both clean and tweed distortion at reasonable bedroom or basement volumes, and two different power levels just from swapping out the single power tube. We built a total of four micro-Bassman at Greenridge, including my own (pink turret board material was almost impossible to find!), and all used lighter-weight white pine dovetailed cabinets and the higher output 12BH7A power tube in push-pull configuration. I later converted mine to the EZ81 tube rectifier configuration, but the other shop amps are all still diode rectified amps in keeping with their dedicated shop amp role.

https://robrobinette.com/Bassman_Micro.htm

Wanted to show off my Bassman and such.

This is the "Burst Room" where I keep the sunburst guitars here. Two Collings, two Gibson and a Fender bursted Tele behind me. The Bassman is my go-to amp although that is changing with the new 5 watt 57 that sounds better and was also a StewMac kit. It's the Champ circuit and what Clapton recorded all of Layla album with. Jimmy Page and many others use these Champs to record.

You mentioned the Strymon Flint. That was my first Strymon pedal and I loved it, best utility of the bunch so we hooked-up with Strymon and go direct and we get a discount. So I bought more...:) and have perfect solutions for Purple Rain, Kashmir, Wish You Were Here, and Cream Disraeli Gears tones which are my favorite.

I play about an hour a day and then my back starts to hurt so I go do something else. But I love it and my playing has improved a great deal in the last two years probably because I had nothing else to do until several months ago when I went back.

Going to check out the Bassman kit and hopefully they sound better than this Fender repro that sounds kind of icepicky to me compared to the amps upstairs, Twin and Super Sonic.

Thanks again for the suggestion I'm all over this now. ;)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:42 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Hesh wrote:
how's that for a positive spin James? :)

LOL, I like it.

These users thanked the author James Orr for the post: Hesh (Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:10 pm)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:36 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Willard
Last Name: Guthrie
City: Cumberland
State: Maryland 21502
Zip/Postal Code: 21502
Focus: Repair
Mr. Breakstone:

To the best of my knowledge, Mr. Stock is an aerospace engineer, although I believe his summers in college and his grad work included the usual electronics troubleshooting, given the need to build and operate a range of electronics devices and systems for wind tunnel and flight data collection tasks. I believe Mr. Stock still does some systems fabrication and troubleshooting, as he remains an active company pilot and engineer doing flight test work for the engineering think tank where he works. I suspect the later model Tektronix analog/digital oscilloscope and other electronics test gear in the shop was a legacy of that activity, and was fascinating to use when I was debugging my own amplifier project (with only general guidance from the gentlemen).

The Robinette directions are NOT step-by-step, but cover general order-of-build and start-up/troubleshooting. Perfect for someone with some adult guidance or a kit build or two under their belt. The wonderful thing about the Bassman Micro is that it IS a '59 Bassman (or JTM-45 with one cap swap), complete with negative feedback loop (fun to play with) and that wonderfully interactive tweed bass/mid/treble/presence tone stack, but with 10" loudspeaker (a Weber vintage with medium dope), is still lighter than a Champ, but about as loud.

-Mark Helprin, The Oceans and the Stars: A Sea Story, A War Story, A Love Story (A Novel)

These users thanked the author Woodie G for the post: Hesh (Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:52 am)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:13 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Hesh the Mojo Tone kits are laid out really well too with wiring diagrams and step by step instructions that you check off as you go. The SM kits have always been more expensive but I think that's because they actually offer support, ie you can get on the phone with someone. Hopefully that has not changed.

I'm fortunate enough to have a world class amp repair guy in my town. So when I built my Marshall clone even though everything worked out well I took it to him to give it the once over. He made a few shielding improvements.

These users thanked the author jfmckenna for the post: Hesh (Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:54 am)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:21 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Robert
Last Name: Ionta
City: Hopkinton
State: Massachusetts
Zip/Postal Code: 01748
I recently finished building Rob Robinette's 6v6 version of the Blackvibe. I modified it a bit, adding a second preamp copied from Steve Luckey's amp based upon the Vox AC15. I built it into the cabinet and chassis of a 1959 Guild Masteramp that I acquired through a friend. It was a fun build and I'm really enjoying playing a little electric (previously an acoustic player exclusively). I highly recommend Rob Robinette's designs and web site. Very informative and the designs are very buildable. This was my first amp build and I have a feeling I'll be doing more of them.

These users thanked the author bionta for the post: Hesh (Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:59 am)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:53 am 

Woodie G wrote:
Mr. Breakstone:

To the best of my knowledge, Mr. Stock is an aerospace engineer, although I believe his summers in college and his grad work included the usual electronics troubleshooting, given the need to build and operate a range of electronics devices and systems for wind tunnel and flight data collection tasks. I believe Mr. Stock still does some systems fabrication and troubleshooting, as he remains an active company pilot and engineer doing flight test work for the engineering think tank where he works. I suspect the later model Tektronix analog/digital oscilloscope and other electronics test gear in the shop was a legacy of that activity, and was fascinating to use when I was debugging my own amplifier project (with only general guidance from the gentlemen).

The Robinette directions are NOT step-by-step, but cover general order-of-build and start-up/troubleshooting. Perfect for someone with some adult guidance or a kit build or two under their belt. The wonderful thing about the Bassman Micro is that it IS a '59 Bassman (or JTM-45 with one cap swap), complete with negative feedback loop (fun to play with) and that wonderfully interactive tweed bass/mid/treble/presence tone stack, but with 10" loudspeaker (a Weber vintage with medium dope), is still lighter than a Champ, but about as loud.

Yes the video that I watched of it at your shop it sounds killer, very strong mids too something I appreciate in an amp. The player is great too, great video.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:58 am 

jfmckenna wrote:
Hesh the Mojo Tone kits are laid out really well too with wiring diagrams and step by step instructions that you check off as you go. The SM kits have always been more expensive but I think that's because they actually offer support, ie you can get on the phone with someone. Hopefully that has not changed.

I'm fortunate enough to have a world class amp repair guy in my town. So when I built my Marshall clone even though everything worked out well I took it to him to give it the once over. He made a few shielding improvements.

Very cool and I will check out their kits too. I appreciate step-by-step instructions a lot.

I like your idea of having an amp guy check these out when completed too and I may do that.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:59 am 

bionta wrote:
I recently finished building Rob Robinette's 6v6 version of the Blackvibe. I modified it a bit, adding a second preamp copied from Steve Luckey's amp based upon the Vox AC15. I built it into the cabinet and chassis of a 1959 Guild Masteramp that I acquired through a friend. It was a fun build and I'm really enjoying playing a little electric (previously an acoustic player exclusively). I highly recommend Rob Robinette's designs and web site. Very informative and the designs are very buildable. This was my first amp build and I have a feeling I'll be doing more of them.

Hey Bob I hope that you are doing great!! I have a feeling that we both will be building more amps in our futures :)

These users thanked the author Hesh for the post: bionta (Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:02 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:03 am 

Since I broke it I have to fix it so here is another update on the now exceptional customer service that I am receiving in real time from StewMac.

After electing, they gave me the choice of having a replacement baffle sent to me only it shipped last night from West Virginia and will be here today. They overnighted it to me!

Again I do not have to return the defective one and I can keep my already shellacked cab with tube chart already installed on the inside and cable guides too. So this is great I do not have to prep a cab again and can keep making progress with the amp.

I'm very happy now and if it all fits well I'm good to go.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:12 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: colin
Last Name: north
[:Y:]

Catgut is an abbreviation of the word cattle gut. Gut strings are made from sheep or goat intestines, in the past even from horse, mule or donkey intestines.

Otherwise it could be from the word kitgut or kitstring. Kit meant fiddle, not kitten.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:31 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Andy
David Allen is really the guy to check out - Allen Amplification. One of the best guys in the business. There are two kinds of Allen owners - those that have an amp and love it, and those that sold one and wish they hadn't. Best deal is, all of his amps can be bought as kits. Instructions are clear. It's not Robinette level (which requires a deeper dive), but high quality build kits for someone that is solder clueful and maybe not highly electronics knowledgeable.

These users thanked the author AndyB for the post: Michaeldc (Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:20 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:42 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: John
Last Name: Parchem
City: Seattle
State: Wa
Zip/Postal Code: 98177
Going back to the original post ...

I just had a shipment missing a item, I used the contact us service request and got a response within 48 hours with a good resolution. I miss the ability to call. Interesting enough I read an article yesterday that was about businesses fighting inflation, trying to keep prices down by reducing costs elsewhere. Moving away from staffed service lines was mentioned.

These users thanked the author johnparchem for the post (total 3): Hesh (Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:53 pm) • Bryan Bear (Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:53 pm) • Michaeldc (Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:20 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:00 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

johnparchem wrote:
Going back to the original post ...

I just had a shipment missing a item, I used the contact us service request and got a response within 48 hours with a good resolution. I miss the ability to call. Interesting enough I read an article yesterday that was about businesses fighting inflation, trying to keep prices down by reducing costs elsewhere. Moving away from staffed service lines was mentioned.

Somehow the cynic in me thinks cutting jobs is more about making more profit and less about fighting inflation.
For some reason I think Stew Mac would like to "go Amazon" on us - place your order and we will send you the stuff, no questions asked (or answered).

These users thanked the author Clay S. for the post: Hesh (Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:54 pm)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next