Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 197 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:59 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Doing a refret yesterday I thought of adding this tip here today... The fret rocker.

It seems most use it to find high frets during setup jobs which of course it's designed for but I find it most valuable for doing actual fret jobs. If you hammer in frets, perhaps if you squeeze too, you hammer in the fret then sight it real close, I use 10x specs, to make sure that the 'shoulders' of the fret crown seat nicely on the wood the whole way across. Then move on to the next fret and continue down till you are done.

I then use the fret rocker to across the whole fret board, usually 3 positions for each set of 3 frets the low E edge, center then high e edge and look for high spots. When I find a high spot I tap it down. Cover the entire board till there is no more rocking, no more high spots. I like to use fish glue which has a long pot life but once done you could also then set in the frets with thin CA.

The point being is that now all your frets are very very close to the same height so when you dress them you barely take any of the crown off. On a refret job if I can get the neck real straight then I love the Stew Mac leveling beam. I will level out the fret board then seat all the frets and use it again to level the frets before crowning.

These users thanked the author jfmckenna for the post (total 3): joshnothing (Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:52 pm) • Colin North (Wed Dec 15, 2021 5:42 pm) • Hesh (Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:10 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 5:37 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

City: Lenoir City
State: TN
Zip/Postal Code: 37772
Focus: Repair
The fret rocker is also good for tapping (lightly) on the frets with the small end to find any frets that are loose. Seems to give a clearer difference in the sound between good and bad frets than anything else I've tried.

These users thanked the author SteveSmith for the post (total 3): Robbie_McD (Fri Dec 17, 2021 8:43 am) • Smylight (Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:21 am) • jfmckenna (Wed Dec 15, 2021 6:27 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 5:42 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: colin
Last Name: north
Focus: Build
SteveSmith wrote:
The fret rocker is also good for tapping (lightly) on the frets with the small end to find any frets that are loose. Seems to give a clearer difference in the sound between good and bad frets than anything else I've tried.

I've always used a small brass bar for that, about 10mm x 2mm x 50mm, less chance of scratching the frets I thought..

Catgut is an abbreviation of the word cattle gut. Gut strings are made from sheep or goat intestines, in the past even from horse, mule or donkey intestines.

Otherwise it could be from the word kitgut or kitstring. Kit meant fiddle, not kitten.

These users thanked the author Colin North for the post: SteveSmith (Wed Dec 15, 2021 5:56 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 5:57 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Colin North wrote:
SteveSmith wrote:

I've always used a small brass bar for that, about 10mm x 2mm x 50mm, less chance of scratching the frets I thought..

Brass would probably be better. I've never had a problem but it does take a light touch.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 11:16 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: colin
Last Name: north
Reminded of this by a job I just finished and handed back today.
For classical guitars where the neck has a forwards bow and acceptable relief when strung up, but has no truss rod to adjust it straight, you can do a fret dress/level with a length of 6mm MDF faced with wet 'n' dry held by double sided tape.
The flex in the board allows you to dress the fret tops without a neck jig.
I use a small block of wood CA'd on the back of the board to hold the MDF board, and usually a narrower board to mill extra relief as is required towards the bass side.

Catgut is an abbreviation of the word cattle gut. Gut strings are made from sheep or goat intestines, in the past even from horse, mule or donkey intestines.

Otherwise it could be from the word kitgut or kitstring. Kit meant fiddle, not kitten.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 8:42 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: john
Last Name: hall
City: Hegins
State: pa
Zip/Postal Code: 17938
you can make pickguards with epoxy you can make sheets or you can do shapes
I use system Three 112 and colortone stains

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Co President of ASIA
You Don't know what you don't know until you know it

These users thanked the author bluescreek for the post (total 2): Chris Pile (Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:24 am) • Smylight (Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:07 am)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:25 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Chris
Last Name: Pile
City: Wichita
State: Kansas
I'd heard some makers install poured pickguards. Sounds reasonable, looks good.

These users thanked the author Chris Pile for the post: Hesh (Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:43 pm)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:44 pm 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
Chris Pile wrote:
I'd heard some makers install poured pickguards. Sounds reasonable, looks good.

Mario P. makes his own too and they look fantastic.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:39 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Here's a few tips for those who go pro... Inquire about local business licensing in your area. This includes your city, your county, your state. In Wichita, KS - the city hit me up one time. The county wanted me to follow rules. The state required paying monthly, and then every three months. GET LEGAL, because eventually they WILL catch you. You can't plead ignorance, either. If you have a listing in the Yellow Pages, maintain a website or FB page - you are a target. Protect yourself.

For real fun, when you decide you want to hire employees - file for a Federal Employer Indentification Number - or EIN. You think the paperwork is bad for state and local? The paperwork increases ten fold when you get the US Gubmint involved. Be ready.

I've stated it here a number of times over the years - get an accountant. The one I had for almost two decades saved my ass and my money a ridiculous amount of times. She was worth every penny I paid her. If someone is hassling you - just say, "Here's my accountants' number - call them for answers". She handled it with aplomb.

One final tip - if you consider what you are doing a hobby - keep NO records. You don't know how much you spent, and you don't know how much you charged. The way the gubmint looks at it - if you keep track - you're in business. So for federal, state, and local gubmint - look as clueless as possible, and they won't bother you for long.

These users thanked the author Chris Pile for the post (total 3): Robbie_McD (Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:09 pm) • joshnothing (Tue Dec 28, 2021 3:27 pm) • Hesh (Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:55 am)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:44 am 
Koa
Koa

State: Texas
Some tips for various things I've learned.

1. Never work on Ovations

2. Never work on Ovations

3. Stainless steel fretwork is worth learning to do well and can make you a good chunk of extra income for your shop.

4. Doing good work is far different than doing lots of work.

My best tip. Make friends with the competition in the area, there do exist customers that are simply not worth having around. Sometimes if you get an inkling about a potential client it can be eye opening to hit up one of your friends in the area and just ask "You ever do business with this guy?"

These users thanked the author DanKirkland for the post (total 4): Smylight (Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:19 pm) • joshnothing (Tue Dec 28, 2021 3:28 pm) • Chris Pile (Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:00 pm) • Hesh (Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:56 am)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:04 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

State: West Somerset
Probably obvious but... when I need a bit more magnification than my normal lens I add my magnifying glass to it giving the sum of the two.
Cheers Dave

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

These users thanked the author Dave m2 for the post (total 2): Durero (Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:14 pm) • Hesh (Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:42 am)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:15 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Here's a little layout tool I made some years ago that I find very useful for putting right angle lines on my tops and backs when I'm laying out braces or marking the top for the bridge. Also handy when building jigs or anytime you want to mark a line perpendicular to another line. It's just an acrylic template blank from StewMac about 6" x 9" with 2" by 2 1/2' rectangles scribed into it.

These users thanked the author SteveSmith for the post (total 4): Robbie_McD (Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:47 am) • joshnothing (Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:43 am) • Hesh (Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:44 pm) • Chris Pile (Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:29 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:27 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Dennis
Last Name: Kincheloe
City: Kansas City
State: MO
SteveSmith wrote:
Here's a little layout tool I made some years ago that I find very useful for putting right angle lines on my tops and backs when I'm laying out braces or marking the top for the bridge. Also handy when building jigs or anytime you want to mark a line perpendicular to another line. It's just an acrylic template blank from StewMac about 6" x 9" with 2" by 2 1/2' rectangles scribed into it.

I just use a sheet of typing paper :) Lay it with one edge along the centerline and you get a perfect 90 degree angle to reference off of. Although yours is a touch faster since you can push the ruler up against the edge of it rather than visually aligning.

These users thanked the author DennisK for the post: Hesh (Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:44 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:45 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Josh
I’m sure this isn’t new to many of you, but it helps me. Say you’re working on an archtop with scratchy pots, and they’re metric/Asian pots so your stewmac pot cleaning cap doesn’t fit.. or maybe you just want to inspect them without fishing the harness part way out of the f-hole and dealing with that can of worms…

… a 6mm scrap of unshrunk heatshrink slips easily yet securely over the splines. This allows you to undo the nut and drop the pot down in a controlled fashion, so you can easily spray contact cleaner into it, inspect the solder joints etc through the f-hole. A peg on the heatshrink means zero chance of accidentally dropping the pot inside the guitar and having to fish it out. Once you’re done with the pot, it’s easily pulled back into position by the heatshrink. The nut and washer have remained on the heatshrink and automatically fall into place on the shaft

I guess theres plenty of other things that might work but this sure beats tying string on em, and I’ve always got scraps of heatshrink lying around :D

Last edited by joshnothing on Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

These users thanked the author joshnothing for the post (total 6): Durero (Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:48 pm) • windsurfer (Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:04 pm) • Robbie_McD (Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:19 am) • stumblin (Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:29 am) • Hesh (Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:13 am) • Chris Pile (Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:41 am)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:42 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Clever boy!

These users thanked the author Chris Pile for the post: joshnothing (Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:51 am)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:13 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Barry
Last Name: Daniels
Vinyl tubing also works for that and is also useful when installing a full harness.

These users thanked the author Barry Daniels for the post (total 2): joshnothing (Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:13 pm) • Hesh (Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:33 am)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:00 pm 
Mahogany
Mahogany

First name: Paul
Last Name: Dzatko
I like to use old Tooth Brushes for cleaning up glue and other tasks around the shop.
Here's a tip: I insert the end of the brush in very hot water and bend it to the best angle for the task at hand

These users thanked the author pkdz for the post (total 5): jfmckenna (Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:34 pm) • Smylight (Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:41 pm) • joshnothing (Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:50 pm) • Chris Pile (Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:46 pm) • Hesh (Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:02 pm)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:20 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Aaron
Hot Hide Glue tips:

Dispense from plastic bottles, including BabyBot.

Stainless Steel nuts and bolts in said plastic bottles.

Freeze bottles and hhg between uses.

Use small ice cube trays to mold hhg, refrigerate, then cut into small pieces and freeze. Add to plastic bottles of hhg as needed.

These users thanked the author Aaron O for the post (total 2): Smylight (Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:04 pm) • Hesh (Sun Jan 30, 2022 4:07 am)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:34 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Another one of the simple ones:

For those who use peg winders. Well first off, when you get a guitar in for a set up it should ALWAYS come with a new set of strings. I'm sure most of us do, outside perhaps a truss rod tweak, but when is it really only just a truss rod tweak right?

Anyway I like to use the old stings for several reasons. Now that I am going into it this post has become about two tips. So first one is, I like to sand the nut down till my little nut sanding block scrapes the tops of the old strings.

But the main tip is, when you are doing a set up and have to tune and detune a lot when using a peg winder count the number of turns you take to loosen the strings. I find that 7-9 seems to be the magic number. That way when you make that adjustment to the saddle or what ever you just count up to 7 when retuning and it gets you pretty close ;)

These users thanked the author jfmckenna for the post: Hesh (Sun Jan 30, 2022 4:07 am)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 4:16 am 

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
jfmckenna wrote:
Another one of the simple ones:

For those who use peg winders. Well first off, when you get a guitar in for a set up it should ALWAYS come with a new set of strings. I'm sure most of us do, outside perhaps a truss rod tweak, but when is it really only just a truss rod tweak right?

Anyway I like to use the old stings for several reasons. Now that I am going into it this post has become about two tips. So first one is, I like to sand the nut down till my little nut sanding block scrapes the tops of the old strings.

But the main tip is, when you are doing a set up and have to tune and detune a lot when using a peg winder count the number of turns you take to loosen the strings. I find that 7-9 seems to be the magic number. That way when you make that adjustment to the saddle or what ever you just count up to 7 when retuning and it gets you pretty close ;)

Great post JF and if you don't mind I wanted to add a few things to the idea of new strings and how they come in.

I too use the old strings that stuff comes in with to tune to pitch OR the desired pitch for this player and then adjust the rod and evaluate the fret plane. Once I have it tuned to pitch and relief set I use the old strings to cut the nut slots. One of the reasons I like the old strings is we use string lifters that can leave marks on classical strings so we use the old strings for the slots.

When I'm done with this off come the old strings and everything else is set with new strings in the exact gage and brand that the client likes. Different brands of even the same size string intonate differently. I set action and intonation in the playing position with the new strings.

Often we get guitars with a new set of flat wounds that someone just installed and then ask me to preserve them. So they don't get their frets cleaned or the board conditioned because taking strings on and off encourages them to break sooner often on the client so we don't go there.

But to JF's point the old strings are very useful and like JF does with the nut when we make a new nut we also use the old strings and sacrifice them as we use huge files to take the top of the nut down until we are hitting the old strings.

I use old strings for other things too like putting light cured dental fillings in nut slots, first the bonder and then they composite filling.

Good stuff.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:43 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

State: West Somerset
Hesh do I gather that UV cured dental filling is your go to stuff for filling over deep nut slots? Isn't it a bit hard?

Don't know where I would go to in the UK to buy this stuff.

Being a reasonably serious amateur I seem to often find I go too deep on nut slots and am not really happy with bone dust and CA glue, particularly with steel strings.

Dave

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 1:33 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

eBay has it. Some of it is expired dental material, but your guitar won't care.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:13 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Pierre
Last Name: Castonguay
City: Québec, Qc
Barry Daniels wrote:
eBay has it. Some of it is expired dental material, but your guitar won't care.

Hey Barry, thanks. Can you share a link to an example of the stuff you’re using? My dental expertise chops are a bit rusty… ;-)

Also, while we're on the subject, what kind of UV light are you guys using?

Pierre
Guitares Torvisse

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:49 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Something like this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/164530151686?_trkparms=amclksrc%3DITM%26aid%3D1110002%26algo%3DSPLICE.SOI%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D236212%26meid%3Db159173abfd54f15b6514fc8c989823c%26pid%3D101196%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D164809985281%26itm%3D164530151686%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D0%26pg%3D2047675%26algv%3DPromotedSellersOtherItemsV2WithMLRv3%26brand%3DPRIME-DENT&_trksid=p2047675.c101196.m2219&amdata=cksum%3A164530151686b159173abfd54f15b6514fc8c989823c%7Cenc%3AAQAGAAACEO3dp5KjHcePfwPIe%252FQnpMnII2rVUEOp64Plv%252BLFaBbeAKrt9eeImKi63V5%252BmiHSDhZ0EENyT94NBXHPYyrAjHXqVoyKsFMGTiJIWoaAmZZjHOput7GVn0W4tKPrW%252FU5NYK7OJW2NpvSHLJfRZymC%252F7lggJVBQyTWAxZMVjFDepnRSMjApiuVu6QsYQw%252Fc9zBnTAZq2h%252FWARIuzvzhVaIucPr64dthprZKP1GCnjRWLicbv87QXdXvq2bX692C1ST4dddvlcvMvCUYO08YwuUA83CY%252Be7QZsZtvhScDZjsanfdvLq4Fuoa2Y7HPenuMOqYOK2oVZa%252B9h6n81qz3hanWIBh%252BDNjpOWKpsv%252FMurfUqDX9gyy8iQrQ1EquU%252BlNNPjvz8oJzZkGi6wf%252Bg79jn%252BsR9a9Hhfc%252Fv26FMIoSu3D6Sl6bdxb9v8bhS26vHFpvTmyUuA5EsbTVUIDEVyGinGghna6nFvGN7j8ob05gZuNs0P5uzfE6ZU5DhQUJuETjzEHMk9YAnbOiEvzvCAyBPu9AM4Iy0iJ1cu9Rp4gnCsmcG04%252FNSvDMPxD%252BMDXNeBhLNQQFsYzOKHpiN%252Fy7me3bAbFGxMTHCG2YOBSlW%252BIq6DKx0NYgmwvZW1ygLaH4A9cY67vPDjVYvTIrdeFoX%252BdiCNozjqTfxacS4JoPT59jH0KMeLHvMxdiP4KdIC8VUSaQw%253D%253D%7Campid%3APL_CLK%7Cclp%3A2047675

These users thanked the author Barry Daniels for the post: Smylight (Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:30 pm)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:31 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Pierre
Last Name: Castonguay
City: Québec, Qc
Thanks Barry! What shade are you using? It's a bit bewildering…

Pierre
Guitares Torvisse

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 197 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next