Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 197 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:18 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

First name: Roy
Last Name: Machin
City: Mexborough
State: South Yorkshire
Zip/Postal Code: S64 0HW
Focus: Build
Heres a simple addition to a parrot vice to hold the handle in position for fast twirling with a finger. Prevents the handle catching on the bench top and stops it rattling.
The rubber is 2mm thick and I cut the 10mm holes with a leather punch.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

These users thanked the author stumblin for the post (total 9): Tom G (Thu May 26, 2022 3:52 pm) • Durero (Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:12 pm) • kjaffrey (Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:12 am) • Hesh (Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:00 pm) • Robbie_McD (Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:32 am) • DennisK (Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:00 pm) • Bryan Bear (Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:43 pm) • Chris Pile (Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:32 pm) • banjopicks (Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:22 pm)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:23 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: John
For those of you using go bars decks I have found sch 40 cut into strip going lengthways will work for go bars in most cases. If you cut the ends right you can slip a bit of heater hose or fuel line on the tip for cushion against the brace to protect from indentation.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:30 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: peter
Last Name: havriluk
City: granby
State: ct
Zip/Postal Code: 06035
What's 'sch 40'?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:56 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

phavriluk wrote:
What's 'sch 40'?

Sorry should have been more descriptive. Sch 40 pvc pipe like from the hardware store. 1 10’ stick of 2” sch 40 pvc pipe is usually under $10. Over cut your sections like you would for wood dowels or whatever your using on your deck then cut it on the table saw or bandsaw into about 1” strips lengthwise then shape the tip to fit your hose.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:02 pm 
Koa
Koa

City: Escondido
State: CA
Zip/Postal Code: 92029
How are you cutting it? I’ve cut lining clamps out of it on my bandsaw, and it makes a terrible mess. Hate cutting the stuff. Do you have a tip there?

I see you say use the bandsaw, any jigs or just pushing it through freehand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:57 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

rlrhett wrote:
How are you cutting it? I’ve cut lining clamps out of it on my bandsaw, and it makes a terrible mess. Hate cutting the stuff. Do you have a tip there?

I see you say use the bandsaw, any jigs or just pushing it through freehand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yea it gets pvc dust everywhere. It’s been a while since I sliced any but last time I did it on table saw. My saw is move able and stationed close to the roll up door so I get it about halfway outside. For the pipe I lay it out marking lines lengthwise then clamp 2 2”x4” down on either side of the saw and go to town but feed slowly and keep your eye on the line. I’ve also done something similar on the bandsaw but the table saw is faster for me. If you want them stronger cut another section a few inches shorter and center it with the first section & epoxy. I’ve not Han any issues other than the mess.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:45 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Bob
Last Name: Gramann
City: Fredericksburg
State: VA
Zip/Postal Code: 22408
When PVC pipe breaks, it’s often sudden and it can throw sharp pieces. I would worry about using it in this application. Other than that, it’s an ingenious idea.

For gobars, I have been using some of the clear radiata pine boards from Home Depot sliced into 5/16” strips. Every now and then, one snaps across the runout. but they’re cheap and I just grab the next one.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:51 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

bobgramann wrote:
When PVC pipe breaks, it’s often sudden and it can throw sharp pieces. I would worry about using it in this application. Other than that, it’s an ingenious idea.

For gobars, I have been using some of the clear radiata pine boards from Home Depot sliced into 5/16” strips. Every now and then, one snaps across the runout. but they’re cheap and I just grab the next one.

I initially thought that could be an issue also but after I tried to break some intentionally I realized with fresh pvc with no uv exposure it wasn’t going to be a problem. But next time I need some extra bars I may give pine a shot.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:03 am 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
Slim wrote:
bobgramann wrote:

I initially thought that could be an issue also but after I tried to break some intentionally I realized with fresh pvc with no uv exposure it wasn’t going to be a problem. But next time I need some extra bars I may give pine a shot.

Sounds like a good idea to me and if people would take a look at the post that I did here years ago showing various amounts of go-bar deflection and the resulting downward force generated on a bathroom scale they would know that only minor deflection is required to get maximum clamping force. This means PVC go-bars need not deflect much at all which also may take breaking for non UV exposed bars out of play.

We have evidence from archeologists that go bars were used by ancient folks using caves for the deck and sticks for the bars. I'm betting they learned about deflection and how more is not always more too.

Anyway good tip let's keep them coming please? Thanks. :)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:49 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: colin
Last Name: north
Hot from the press.
When epoxying large surfaces together in a go-bar deck, pin them in place to stop them going walk about!!

Catgut is an abbreviation of the word cattle gut. Gut strings are made from sheep or goat intestines, in the past even from horse, mule or donkey intestines.

Otherwise it could be from the word kitgut or kitstring. Kit meant fiddle, not kitten.

These users thanked the author Colin North for the post: Hesh (Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:08 am)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:57 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Ken
Last Name: Lewis
City: Mt. Pearl
State: NL
Colin,...tell us the rest...you'll feel better.:)

These users thanked the author Ken Lewis for the post: Hesh (Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:08 am)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:26 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Ken
Last Name: Nagy
City: Goodrich
State: MI
I think it's like the Paul Simon song you sing on winter roads.

I'm thinking of replacing my cello top, so I'm regrouping as well. After carving the bass bar.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:26 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Ken Lewis wrote:
Colin,...tell us the rest...you'll feel better.:)

I'm shy...... oops_sign
Caught it in time! bliss

Catgut is an abbreviation of the word cattle gut. Gut strings are made from sheep or goat intestines, in the past even from horse, mule or donkey intestines.

Otherwise it could be from the word kitgut or kitstring. Kit meant fiddle, not kitten.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:14 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Josh

These little brushes are cheap, disposable, sharp-pointed and…

… tiny. I find them helpful to apply things to tight spaces …

… such as brushing etching acid and adhesive accurately into a nut slot when doing a light-cured composite repair… also good for small touch ups and with water or solvents for cleaning tight spaces.

These users thanked the author joshnothing for the post (total 3): Terence Kennedy (Tue Dec 14, 2021 3:13 pm) • Durero (Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:07 am) • Hesh (Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:07 am)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:12 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Dan
Last Name: Smith
City: Round Rock
State: TX
Zip/Postal Code: 78681
Not really a tip, but I tried some of the fancy Wypall #80 paper towels that Ken Parker uses to apply Epoxy with.
I used them to apply my final coat of un-thinned Zpoxy with great results. No lint, no tears. Really good paper.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:43 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

dzsmith wrote:
Not really a tip, but I tried some of the fancy Wypall #80 paper towels that Ken Parker uses to apply Epoxy with.
I used them to apply my final coat of un-thinned Zpoxy with great results. No lint, no tears. Really good paper.

I'll second that, got a full box after watching the videos, but kind of slipped my mind for the tips.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 3:15 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

joshnothing wrote:

These little brushes are cheap, disposable, sharp-pointed and…

… tiny. I find them helpful to apply things to tight spaces …

… such as brushing etching acid and adhesive accurately into a nut slot when doing a light-cured composite repair… also good for small touch ups and with water or solvents for cleaning tight spaces.

Let’s hear more about the etching acid. Is it a big help getting the light cure stuff to stick?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 5:24 am 
Koa
Koa

Terence Kennedy wrote:

Let’s hear more about the etching acid. Is it a big help getting the light cure stuff to stick?

Thanks!

I always use it, just to be safe. The manufacturer instructions for the composite I’m using say to etch first. It is relatively cheap and only adds 30 seconds or so to the process. I brush it into the slot, wait 15 seconds, neutralize with a little water/bicarb solution, and continue the process, next painting in the adhesive, zap it with the light, then composite, zap again.

The composite seems to stick fine so far.. however… I only got the gear to do these fills a couple months ago and am relatively inexperienced. Hesh has been doing this for much longer and if memory serves he has said he’s not convinced the etch is necessary. There is a recent thread about it in the repair section of the forum:

http://luthiersforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=54494

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author joshnothing for the post: Terence Kennedy (Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:43 am)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:39 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

City: Lenoir City
State: TN
Zip/Postal Code: 37772
Focus: Repair
The dental composite I use for repairs uses a primer/adhesive and filler. The primer/adhesive is applied first then UV cured. Next the filler is applied and UV cured. I've never had any problems and wasn't aware of an etching acid. Like most things, there are probably several different systems out there.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:22 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Rob
Last Name: McDougall
City: Cochrane
State: Alberta
Here are a couple of buffing tips:
Warm up the buffing wheel thoroughly on a piece of scrap before combing and applying new compound.
If you have a buffer with two buffing wheels, remove the one you are not using when buffing.
Saves getting the unexpected wrenching of the guitar out of your hands when it inadvertently touches the other wheel...
Also, when buffing the intricate curves around the heel of an electric guitar, try removing one of the doubled-up wheels to make a thin buffing wheel.
I just discovered this last week and it made a huge difference in getting into the tight spaces.

Last edited by Robbie_McD on Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:26 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Has anyone used bamboo for go bars?
I may try that. There is a bamboo forest that I have been slowly whittling away at. The bamboo is around 30 feet tall and a couple of inches in diameter at the base, and the walls are moderately thick, so I'm thinking I can split it and make inexpensive go-bars from some of it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:57 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Barry
Last Name: Daniels
Bamboo should work fine. It makes good fly rods.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:41 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Brad
Last Name: Hall
City: Windsor
State: Ca.
Zip/Postal Code: 95492
After you cut the bamboo be careful of the razor sharp ends. Round over with some 80 grit sandpaper or a file. I assume the long split edges would also be sharp. Bamboo is surprisingly hard. Cuts hands easily.
Don’t ask how I know.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:18 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

State: West Somerset
CA Unbond

I realised that sooner or later I am going to stick a decent sized piece of skin to something when using CA glue, so bought some unbonding stuff - only a few years late!

I stuck it in the cupboard where the glues live. However eventually a light bulb went off - when this happens I am going to need to be able get at this stuff (I work alone like so many of us) and having it in a cupboard is not sensible.

It is now sitting well within reach of the bench!

Cheers Dave

These users thanked the author Dave m2 for the post: Smylight (Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:20 am)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:38 pm 
Koa
Koa

Clay S. wrote:
Has anyone used bamboo for go bars?
I may try that. There is a bamboo forest that I have been slowly whittling away at. The bamboo is around 30 feet tall and a couple of inches in diameter at the base, and the walls are moderately thick, so I'm thinking I can split it and make inexpensive go-bars from some of it.

Years ago I used bamboo go-bars. Rather than split large bamboo i used thinner shoots which didn’t require processing. You could buy them in huge bundles very cheap, sold as stakes for gardening. They were about as thick as an index finger.

They worked but I prefer everything else I’ve tried better - fibreglass kite spars, StewMac’s rectangular fibreglass bars, hardwood ripped to 1/4” strips. Pressure was inconsistent bar to bar with the bamboo. Splitting larger ones up as you describe might solve that.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 197 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next