Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:01 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Richard
Last Name: Hutchings
City: Warwick
State: RI
Zip/Postal Code: 02889
Focus: Build
Sanded this coffee table down to bare wood and added a coat of poly with a foam brush. Yuck, I'll be sanding again.

Attachment:
20211113_112224_copy_383x800.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Get the heck off the couch and go build a guitar!!!!

These users thanked the author banjopicks for the post: Hesh (Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:16 pm)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:59 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Rob
Last Name: McDougall
City: Cochrane
State: Alberta
Some cool work being done out there!
I have three builds on the go, a Cypress/Cedar OM, a 5-String Bass, and a EIR/Lutz OM:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

These users thanked the author Robbie_McD for the post: Hesh (Sat Nov 13, 2021 1:21 pm)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 1:58 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Zac
Last Name: Stout
City: Floyd
State: VA
Zip/Postal Code: 24091
Long time since my last post, I love these threads! I'm applying the finish to this Black Limba weissenborn. My first weissenborn, my first slotted headstock, and my first time trying out French polish. So far, so good!

Black Limba top, back, and sides
Macassar Ebony headplate and bridge
Pau Ferro fretboard, binding, and butt wedge
Red Spruce bracing with Wenge/Sycamore/Wenge laminated floating back braces

I've wanted a weissenborn for years, and after forum member mtracz posted a link here a while back to his YouTube videos documenting a build, I decided it was time to get started on one of my own. Mike's videos are extremely well done and do a great job of showing how it all goes together. I reached out to him through the forum and he's been quite gracious with his time and knowledge answering all my questions that have come up as I progressed through the build. He was even nice enough to send me a pdf of his plans and bracing specs (the floating back bracing, in particular, is fantastic). If you're planning on building one of these I highly recommend watching his videos (link below). Mike's got some great tooling and jigs, and I definitely had more than a few :idea: light bulb :idea: moments as I studied the videos that have helped me refine some of my processes and do cleaner work. Thanks Mike!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHB9Sij ... zY_Rfojh4D

These users thanked the author Zac Stout for the post (total 4): DannyV (Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:26 am) • Hesh (Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:43 am) • Robbie_McD (Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:18 pm) • Chris Pile (Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:28 pm)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:06 pm 
Koa
Koa

A redwood 000 that seems to be taking forever but am on the home stretch now I think. A dropped Martin to fix for a friend.

These users thanked the author Darrel Friesen for the post (total 4): DannyV (Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:26 am) • Hesh (Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:43 am) • Robbie_McD (Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:18 pm) • Chris Pile (Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:28 pm)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:50 pm 
Koa
Koa

I don't remember poly going on so bad. The last time I brushed it was 30 some years ago. I fully expected it to self level.

These users thanked the author banjopicks for the post: Hesh (Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:44 am)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:06 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Jay
Last Name: De Rocher
City: Bothell
State: Washington
Working on the neck of a new design for an octave mandolin. Glued the fretboard on today.

Attachment:
OM neck in progress.jpg

Attachment:
OM top.jpg

Attachment:
OM back 2.jpg

These users thanked the author J De Rocher for the post: Hesh (Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:44 am)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:09 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Carl
Last Name: Dickinson
City: Forest Ranch
State: California
Zip/Postal Code: 95942
Darrel,
I've got a top like that but am worried that the bridge could easily pull off. Let us know how it works and what glue you"re using for that. Thanks.

These users thanked the author CarlD for the post: Hesh (Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:45 am)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:32 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Dennis
Last Name: Kincheloe
City: Kansas City
State: MO
CarlD wrote:
Darrel,
I've got a top like that but am worried that the bridge could easily pull off. Let us know how it works and what glue you"re using for that. Thanks.

As always when endgrain is involved, I recommend giving the wood a coat of thin hot hide glue, letting it dry, lightly sanding back flat, and then doing the actual glue-up. The pre-coat plugs up the pores so they don't suck the glue out of the joint after it's clamped.

Redwood is very brittle though, so it could peel up the wood along with the bridge. But I've heard a lot more people worry about it than stories of it actually happening :) And seen a photo of a 12 string by Harvey Leach with a not-particularly-large bridge on large curl sinker redwood. So I think a typical Martin belly bridge would be plenty of glue area for 6 strings.

These users thanked the author DennisK for the post (total 2): CarlD (Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:37 pm) • Hesh (Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:51 am)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:41 am 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
Ahhh the smell of tubes burning in in the morning..... :)

"Hey, hey, my, my rock and roll will never die" was recorded by Neil Young on one of these 1959 15 watt tweeds to give you some idea how it can break up when you want it to.

It's done and I'm happy as a pig in mud. It sounds great although a little light on the trebles that's what EQ is for. Deep, powerful bass, mids off the charts (does Clapton's "woman tone" very well).

Had some voltage anomalies yesterday that made me cautious but when I consulted my StewMac expert (who helped me on a Saturday!!!) (twice) he chalked it up to the supply in our homes is pretty variable these days and not always 110.

It was a rewarding and fun project and the only problem I ran into was the alignment on the speaker as mentioned that StewMac made right and then some and I put a jumper on the wrong eyelet (stupid ***********) :)

Going to take a week and figure out if I want to build a 1/2 stack Plexi, this has been on my mind... :)

Lastly it's very quiet which I was going for too keeping all the power and signal wires distant from each other when I can. It's a little quieter than the 1957 5 watt that I built last month so I am happy.

These users thanked the author Hesh for the post (total 3): Robbie_McD (Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:38 am) • DannyV (Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:27 am) • joshnothing (Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:46 am)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:50 am 

CarlD wrote:
Darrel,

Carl in around 2006 Bob, Zootman Bob aka "Bob's Your Uncle" which I coined for him got in some curly redwood. I bought a top and built a SJ with it and had it pictured on the OLF one month later. Lots of debate back then on if the bridges would stay put or not. Bob also told me that he sold out of redwood tops, 50 of them in only a week after I showed my pics here of mine.

17 years later the original bridge is still on I am happy to report and I just used good ole Titebond original.

Hope this helps.

These users thanked the author Hesh for the post: CarlD (Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:38 pm)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:52 am 

DennisK wrote:
CarlD wrote:
Darrel,

As always when endgrain is involved, I recommend giving the wood a coat of thin hot hide glue, letting it dry, lightly sanding back flat, and then doing the actual glue-up. The pre-coat plugs up the pores so they don't suck the glue out of the joint after it's clamped.

Redwood is very brittle though, so it could peel up the wood along with the bridge. But I've heard a lot more people worry about it than stories of it actually happening :) And seen a photo of a 12 string by Harvey Leach with a not-particularly-large bridge on large curl sinker redwood. So I think a typical Martin belly bridge would be plenty of glue area for 6 strings.

Agree more people stress over this and I have yet to see a bridge joint failure on a redwood top. I'm sure it happens and poor techniques is always a possibility but with 17 years under the belt of my bridge on my redwood toped SJ it's a non-issue.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:48 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Josh
J De Rocher wrote:
Working on the neck of a new design for an octave mandolin. Glued the fretboard on today.

Attachment:
OM neck in progress.jpg

Attachment:
OM top.jpg

Attachment:
OM back 2.jpg

This looks really nice!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:35 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

CarlD wrote:
Darrel,

I find it ironic that people will reject a top because it shows some bireflectance because of a small amount of runout, but will happily accept a top that is totally runout.
Some have suggested (Alan C?) it might improve the long term success of a curly wood top by using a less dense wood for the bridge that has a larger footprint.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:24 am 
Koa
Koa

CarlD wrote:
Darrel,

I've heard the same thing and have some worries but made one a ten years ago with the same top wood and glued the bridge with Titebond. No problems so far. I made a pyramid bridge for this one but then decided to go with a belly bridge like my last one for the increased glue surface. Not sure if it matters though.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:12 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Finishing up a folk art barnwood white oak pine top guitar in French Polish. And just finished the persimmons pyramid bridge.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:00 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Dan
Last Name: Smith
City: Round Rock
State: TX
Zip/Postal Code: 78681
banjopicks wrote:
Sanded this coffee table down to bare wood and added a coat of poly with a foam brush. Yuck, I'll be sanding again.

Attachment:
20211113_112224_copy_383x800.jpg

You can thin oil based poly with mineral spirits for easier wiping or brushing.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:06 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Don
Last Name: Parker
City: Charleston
State: West Virginia
Zip/Postal Code: 25314
Darrel Friesen wrote:
I made a pyramid bridge for this one but then decided to go with a belly bridge like my last one for the increased glue surface. Not sure if it matters though.

Just a thought for Darrel or anyone concerned about the reduced gluing area of a pyramid bridge versus a belly bridge: I have built some pyramid bridges that were 1 1/4" wide instead of 1" wide. They were still 6" long. They look pretty good, and obviously provide more gluing area: 7.5 square inches versus 6 square inches for the 1" wide standard size. This also provides a bit more leeway on where the saddle slot is cut.

This is not a good option for those shooting for a reproduction of an historic guitar, but if you are not completely hemmed in by those sorts of constraints, a slightly wider pyramid bridge might be something to consider.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:56 pm 
Koa
Koa

Binding has happened today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author SnowManSnow for the post (total 2): Hesh (Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:58 am) • Chris Pile (Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:40 pm)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:11 pm 
Koa
Koa

Hesh wrote:
Ahhh the smell of tubes burning in in the morning..... :)

"Hey, hey, my, my rock and roll will never die" was recorded by Neil Young on one of these 1959 15 watt tweeds to give you some idea how it can break up when you want it to.

It's done and I'm happy as a pig in mud. It sounds great although a little light on the trebles that's what EQ is for. Deep, powerful bass, mids off the charts (does Clapton's "woman tone" very well).

Had some voltage anomalies yesterday that made me cautious but when I consulted my StewMac expert (who helped me on a Saturday!!!) (twice) he chalked it up to the supply in our homes is pretty variable these days and not always 110.

It was a rewarding and fun project and the only problem I ran into was the alignment on the speaker as mentioned that StewMac made right and then some and I put a jumper on the wrong eyelet (stupid ***********) :)

Going to take a week and figure out if I want to build a 1/2 stack Plexi, this has been on my mind... :)

Lastly it's very quiet which I was going for too keeping all the power and signal wires distant from each other when I can. It's a little quieter than the 1957 5 watt that I built last month so I am happy.

Way cool Hesh. The closest to that for me (and not very close) is the Bill Machrone suggested mods that I did myself way back when on my Blues Junior. It sounds great to me but I lead a sheltered life!

These users thanked the author Darrel Friesen for the post: Hesh (Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:59 am)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:39 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

First name: Jordan
Last Name: Bollig
City: Wichita
State: Kansas
Focus: Repair
This poor D-28 was involved in an accident when its owner fell on it. Fortunately, the guitar broke the owner's fall and he wasn't hurt, however most unfortunately, the owner's fall broke the guitar. I do plan on making a separate post for this job, as the guitar needs a lot of work (besides the obvious).

Before:

These users thanked the author jabollig for the post (total 2): joshnothing (Mon Nov 15, 2021 5:35 am) • Hesh (Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:00 am)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:41 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Chris
Last Name: Pile
You'll do great, Jordan. DIVE RIGHT IN!

These users thanked the author Chris Pile for the post (total 2): Hesh (Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:00 am) • jabollig (Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:52 pm)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:51 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

And a few of the pics from after gluing...

As you can see in the last picture, there's still a hole that needs to be patched, which is what I'm working on currently :)

These users thanked the author jabollig for the post (total 2): Hesh (Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:00 am) • Chris Pile (Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:40 am)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:52 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

Chris Pile wrote:
You'll do great, Jordan. DIVE RIGHT IN!

Thanks Chris!!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:21 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

meddlingfool wrote:
Hesh...

How much money do you save buying a kit vs just buying the amp?

I think I built five or so about a decade ago. I ordered ala carte, and they were about half the price of the available kits. The last few were my own takes on Dumble style designs, and it also really allowed me to feel comfortable tweaking things.

Not that I remember any of it now. [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH AND COLD SWEAT]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author James Orr for the post: Hesh (Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:01 am)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:35 am 
Koa
Koa

banjopicks wrote:
I don't remember poly going on so bad. The last time I brushed it was 30 some years ago. I fully expected it to self level.

As awful as it looked, it did self level. The next day it was awesome. So now, I need to remove some nibs and buff it. I'm tempted to start using it on guitars. We'll see after I buff it out, if it looks like a guitar finish.

These users thanked the author banjopicks for the post: Hesh (Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:22 am)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next