Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:25 pm 
Koa
Koa

Recently I made my first soprano uke. I made a trial saddle with ebony or ABW to verify compensation, then made the bone saddle.

I ran across Jose Oribe's newer web site. He seems to have cross-over guitars the opposite way, i.e. steel string guitars with classical body and dimensions. I presume the interior is braced differently than a classical.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:54 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

City: Lenoir City
State: TN
Zip/Postal Code: 37772
Focus: Repair
John, no problem with the units, at least for me; I spent my career working with both.

Alan, thanks for weighing in. Helpful info as always, and, as usual, these pesky acoustic things are more complex than we'd like.

Looks like I'm at a 1 7/8" minimum nut.

I suppose I can stick with the Ramirez string spacing at the bridge of 2.24" unless someone has a compelling argument?

Thanks everyone for taking the time to go through this, it's super helpful!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:43 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

The old gut strung Martin's and many of the romantic guitars used 1 7/8th inch nuts - but again that was -gut- strings.
I usually use 2 3/8th inch+ spacing at the saddle for nylon, but no compelling reason. Many of the old guitars do the same.

These users thanked the author Clay S. for the post: SteveSmith (Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:16 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:27 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: John
Last Name: Parchem
City: Seattle
State: Wa
Zip/Postal Code: 98177
Focus: Build
I have 57 mm string spacing so I am OK with 2.24" :)

These users thanked the author johnparchem for the post: SteveSmith (Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:47 pm)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 4:36 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Ok, I'm back on this. I like doing this kind of planning. I'd appreciate any thoughts.

I'd like to see if I can move this around to do a 13 Fret with a 26.0" scale. The saddle would have to come towards the soundhole about 0.8". Not knowing much about classical bracing and such I'm wondering if it would be a big deal. I've found that moving things around a bit on steel strings isn't a big deal.

Looks like I have several options if I want to go to 13-frets.

Option 1. Leave bracing and soundhole as is and just move the bridge patch forward 0.8". Since the fan braces appear to somewhat symmetrical around the bridge I'm not sure if that would be optimal.

Option 2. Move the bridge patch forward 0.8" and also shift soundhole and bracing xx" closer to the body join.

Right now I'm thinking of using option 2 with xx" being 0.5".

Appreciate the thoughts. Here's a shot of top with the saddle locations marked in red.
Attachment:
RamirizTopPlan with MarkUps - Annotated-Small.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 5:22 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Tim
Last Name: Mullin
City: Shefford
State: QC
Zip/Postal Code: J2M 1R5
The Ramirez guitar has a scale length of 660 mm, whereas modern classicals tend to be 650. Change the scale length, you won’t have to change the bridge patch placement much at all. (You’ll find strings fit better as well, since some brands are stingy with length — ask how I know).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author Tim Mullin for the post: SteveSmith (Thu Dec 23, 2021 5:45 pm)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 6:03 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Tim Mullin wrote:
The Ramirez guitar has a scale length of 660 mm, whereas modern classicals tend to be 650. Change the scale length, you won’t have to change the bridge patch placement much at all. (You’ll find strings fit better as well, since some brands are stingy with length — ask how I know).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi Tim, I had looked at using the 650mm (25.59") scale and, yes, for a 12-fret 650mm the bridge patch only moves 0.27". The 26" scale (Ramirez is 26.125") was inspired by a crossover 26" done by Michael Colbert with that scale and using D'Addario EJ44 ProArte strings. My general approach when doing something new is to find something I like and do something similar.

I know the difference between long and short scale steel strings but what is the difference between 650mm and 660mm scale for nylon strings. Does it matter?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 11:35 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Well, given the total lack of response to my last post I suppose my 13-fret idea is a dud. Only reason for that is that I need access to the upper frets; I prefer a 14-fret join but a 13-fret is ok. For some of the stuff I play 12-fret is too tight.

Once again I will step back from the edge and look at the 25.5" 12-fret, especially since this is the first time I am dipping my luthier toe into the classical world. I would consider changing the body shape for a 14-fret but I already have access to a 12-fret Ramirez mold. Guess it will get some kind of a cutaway so I can get access to the higher frets, probably scooped like Alan Carruth's cause I really like that look.

Thanks all, I do appreciate the discussion!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 10:57 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

SteveSmith wrote:

I know the difference between long and short scale steel strings but what is the difference between 650mm and 660mm scale for nylon strings. Does it matter?

It matters but both 650 and 660 mm are standard classical. 655 mm is used a lot in flamenco. One rule of thumb I heard that one needs at least a 5 mm scale length change to really feel it. 10 mm is noticeable. I did make on commission a 14 fret join 8 string nylon with a 660 mm scale that worked out. It also had a cutaway. I did not have a problem playing it (any more than I usually have).

https://www.harvestmoonguitars.com/bocote%208%20string1.htm

These users thanked the author johnparchem for the post: SteveSmith (Sun Dec 26, 2021 1:04 pm)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 11:37 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

In theory longer strings should work better, at least up to a point. Ideally the bending stiffness of the string should be negligible relative to the tension to minimize inharmonicity in the higher partials; the longer the string the more likely this is to be the case assuming the same string diameter. With nylon strings you start running up against the elastic limits of the material, although this varies depending on the type of nylon. Most nylons start to creep at around 65% of their ultimate theoretical breaking strength, and that can set in at around 660 mm I believe.

There is a useful little book, "The Healthy Guitar", by Alicia Kopfstein-Penk that goes into the question of choosing scale length. She struggled for years to make the stretches, hoping that practice would make perfect. Then she realized that at 5'2" she was never going to reach the top shelf in the kitchen without a ladder, no mater how much she practiced. She worked out a process for figuring out the scale length that would fit her hand, and went looking for somebody who would make the guitar. I've used her method with several students, and find it a bit conservative, in the sense that it tends to advise using a shorter scale than may be strictly necessary, but then, none of them was trying for a concert career either.

These users thanked the author Alan Carruth for the post: SteveSmith (Sun Dec 26, 2021 1:05 pm)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 3:04 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

John - The 8 string came out really nice! Not sure what I could do with 8 strings, I have enough trouble with 6. Your comment about discernable lengths in scale length makes me think that as a steel string player then the 650mm (25.59") scale length probably makes more sense for me anyway, at least for a first foray into the nylon string world.

Alan - thanks for giving me new information; as always another useful nugget! I believe I bought "The Healthy Guitar" a long time ago when I was just getting into this (along with "Left-Brain Lutherie"). I will have to see if I can find it and reread it, I'm sure it will mean a lot more to me now.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 5:50 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

SteveSmith wrote:
John - The 8 string came out really nice! Not sure what I could do with 8 strings, I have enough trouble with 6. Your comment about discernable lengths in scale length makes me think that as a steel string player then the 650mm (25.59") scale length probably makes more sense for me anyway, at least for a first foray into the nylon string world.

Not a push for 8 strings just an example of using a longer scale length with a nylon string crossover to deal with your 13 fret join.

These users thanked the author johnparchem for the post: SteveSmith (Sun Dec 26, 2021 6:13 pm)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 6:17 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

John - didn't think you were pushing 8 strings - the people that play those well are somewhat uncommon. The one you made is really nice!

I've given up on the 13-fret for this one and will just put in a cutaway for access to the upper frets. Scale will be 25.5" so I can use one of Andy's stock fretboards. I'll let you all know how it goes.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 9:15 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

This is my crossover -Jazz Classical model.
It has a carved arched back.

In my experience nylon strings need very little compensation- I use 1/64” with a straight saddle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author Brad Goodman for the post: SteveSmith (Sun Dec 26, 2021 10:07 pm)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 10:12 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Brad - that's a fine looking guitar, very clean look. Interesting that you used a carved back. I am not planning on putting much compensation into it although I was thinking of a bit more than 1/64", probably double that.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 6:40 pm 
Koa
Koa

From another thread… a few days late… but it still counts Image

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:28 pm 
Koa
Koa

Well crap. This was the wrong thread sorry guys

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:57 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

No worries - nice looking setup you got there!