Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1415 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 57  Next
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 1:42 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: colin
Last Name: north
Focus: Build
Brad Goodman wrote:
Colin North wrote:
That's some really neat tail joints there Mr Goodman.

Thanks!
Like all of my processes I have simplified it as much as I can and I’m getting really nice results.
After I bend the sides I simply mark the center lines off the mold and then bandsaw 16th of an inch away from the line.
Then on my 6 x 89 sander I sneak up to the line and adjust as necessary just takes a few minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Much the same as I do, bandsaw just outside the line just I use a 90 degree shooting board and a block plane.

Catgut is an abbreviation of the word cattle gut. Gut strings are made from sheep or goat intestines, in the past even from horse, mule or donkey intestines.

Otherwise it could be from the word kitgut or kitstring. Kit meant fiddle, not kitten.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 4:38 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Brad
Last Name: Combs
Ziribari filled and sealed - ready for topcoats tomorrow. Spraying the Cardinal UV urethane for the first time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

These users thanked the author bcombs510 for the post (total 2): Hesh (Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:41 pm) • Michaeldc (Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:56 pm)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 4:51 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Dave
Last Name: Ball
This is an Indian Rosewood 7 string Hawaiian guitar neck with a picture of Howard Dixon (of the Dixon Brothers--20's NC based duo. Howard played Hawaiian Guitar) on the headstock. Gold lip pearl, white pearl and black pearl. Engraved banjo style inlays on the fingerboard.

I'll get this thing done one of these days!

Dave

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

These users thanked the author ballbanjos for the post (total 5): Colin North (Wed Apr 06, 2022 2:06 pm) • Hesh (Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:41 pm) • KingCavalier (Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:58 pm) • Michaeldc (Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:55 pm) • Chris Pile (Mon Apr 04, 2022 12:04 am)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:53 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

Sweet, very nice work!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 2:12 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Trying Osmo Oil on a neck, this is silk.
Feels pretty good.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Catgut is an abbreviation of the word cattle gut. Gut strings are made from sheep or goat intestines, in the past even from horse, mule or donkey intestines.

Otherwise it could be from the word kitgut or kitstring. Kit meant fiddle, not kitten.

These users thanked the author Colin North for the post (total 3): Michaeldc (Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:51 pm) • Hesh (Thu Apr 07, 2022 2:32 pm) • Chris Pile (Wed Apr 06, 2022 2:26 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 2:28 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Chris
Last Name: Pile
City: Wichita
State: Kansas
Focus: Repair
This is the only place I have ever heard of the stuff. Result looks nice.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 6:01 am 
Walnut
Walnut

Removed

Last edited by KingCavalier on Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

These users thanked the author KingCavalier for the post (total 5): Michaeldc (Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:51 pm) • Hesh (Thu Apr 07, 2022 2:32 pm) • Chris Pile (Thu Apr 07, 2022 7:36 am) • bcombs510 (Thu Apr 07, 2022 7:16 am) • joshnothing (Thu Apr 07, 2022 7:03 am)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 6:10 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Beautiful,

These users thanked the author Colin North for the post: KingCavalier (Fri Apr 08, 2022 5:53 am)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:38 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Dave
Last Name: Ball
Very nice!

These users thanked the author ballbanjos for the post: KingCavalier (Fri Apr 08, 2022 5:53 am)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 11:15 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Chris
Last Name: Pile
City: Wichita
State: Kansas
Focus: Repair
Grit Laskin should be worried.

These users thanked the author Chris Pile for the post: KingCavalier (Fri Apr 08, 2022 5:53 am)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 3:49 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Ken
Last Name: Nagy
City: Goodrich
State: MI
I don't have anything cool like those inlays. I just decide to finish some things, one at a time, that have been sitting around almost done.

A Bastogne Walnut and Alaskan Yellow Cedar violin.

Attachment:
IMG_0752.jpg

Attachment:
IMG_0753.jpg

I have a fingerboard started, so I started with the pegs. I use a basic heart shape. I do them like production; one op at a time. I don't mind doing this at all. It took about an hour to get this far. I hade to make another, because I split it with the center! I've done that before with ebony and rosewoods. Think of the pressure on that center. I've made maple pegs for a baroque guitar, so I imagine that the walnut should be fine for a violin. Maybe I'll superglue the shaft?

Attachment:
IMG_0751.jpg

These users thanked the author Ken Nagy for the post: Chris Pile (Thu Apr 07, 2022 4:23 pm)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 4:21 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Don
Last Name: Parker
City: Charleston
State: West Virginia
Zip/Postal Code: 25314
bcombs510 wrote:
Ziribari filled and sealed - ready for topcoats tomorrow. Spraying the Cardinal UV urethane for the first time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'm looking forward to hearing about your work with the Cardinal UV products, Brad. My Cardinal products arrived today, but I won't have time to try them out for a short while.

These users thanked the author doncaparker for the post (total 2): Hesh (Sat Apr 09, 2022 3:29 am) • bcombs510 (Thu Apr 07, 2022 4:26 pm)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 5:03 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Brad
Last Name: Combs
I'll write up where I land with a spray schedule and feedback. Already a couple of lessons so far:

- The Cardinal UV cured porefill takes more careful attention and more time with the light to fully cure. ~50% more time and needs the light source to be really squared up to the surface. The simtec was much more forgiving in this area.

- The solids % is much lower with the Cardinal compared to Simtec. Like 50% compared to 75%. It sprays a bit differently. I had no issues with test panels (flat boards) but had a couple of sags with the first coats on the uke above. Nothing I couldn't fix between 1st and 2nd coats when scuffing though.

I will share the end to end at some point. Looking forward to seeing you at the end of the month.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 5:28 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Don
Last Name: Parker
City: Charleston
State: West Virginia
Zip/Postal Code: 25314
bcombs510 wrote:
Looking forward to seeing you at the end of the month.

Same here! Pulling everyone into the loop: please consider visiting Appalachian Tonewood (Lewisburg, WV) with me, Brad, and a few others on April 30. It's an opportunity to both see a tonewood wholesaler's operation in person, and buy some wood in person. These are rare opportunities for some of us. See the separate thread for details, and PM me if you are interested.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:33 pm 
Mahogany
Mahogany

First name: Mark
City: Seattle
State: WA
All luthier projects are on hold whilst doing some long overdue house repainting and refinishing.

The small desk in our kitchen has a support with a +/- 4" radius roundover piece glued to a plywood panel. When I built it, I glued up before the roundover (which I did with hand planes and custom sanding blocks).

Here's what I came up with for gluing on the replacement panel. I don't always bother with dry clamping, but glad I did in this case. Pleased to see the joint pull together nicely.

These users thanked the author pullshocks for the post: Hesh (Wed Apr 13, 2022 2:54 am)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 2:55 am 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
pullshocks wrote:
All luthier projects are on hold whilst doing some long overdue house repainting and refinishing.

The small desk in our kitchen has a support with a +/- 4" radius roundover piece glued to a plywood panel. When I built it, I glued up before the roundover (which I did with hand planes and custom sanding blocks).

Here's what I came up with for gluing on the replacement panel. I don't always bother with dry clamping, but glad I did in this case. Pleased to see the joint pull together nicely.

Mark when I started building guitars all my wooden furniture got..... nervous including my 100 year old Birdseye maple bedroom set :) It sure sounds good now (just kidding... ;) ).

These users thanked the author Hesh for the post (total 2): Durero (Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:53 pm) • pullshocks (Wed Apr 13, 2022 2:11 pm)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:21 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Not inside the shop but just outside. What does a luthier do when a big White Pine falls on his property?

These users thanked the author jfmckenna for the post: Hesh (Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:09 am)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:10 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Ken
Last Name: Nagy
City: Goodrich
State: MI
Cool Jf. How long are the sections? It that pine as big around as it looks?

Only thing happening in my yard right now is this:

Attachment:
IMG_0762.jpg

I suppose the white will reflect light into the window to make cutting veneer easier? There has to be something good in it.

These users thanked the author Ken Nagy for the post: Hesh (Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:09 am)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:05 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

32in diameter and 22 inches long. They probably should have been cut longer but these will be for my small folk art parlor guitars. We got a dusting of snow in the highlands of Virginia today too. Yesterday I was out mushroom hunting at 65deg LOL!

These users thanked the author jfmckenna for the post: Hesh (Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:10 am)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:29 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Chuck
Last Name: Skarsaune
City: Butler
State: TN
jfmckenna wrote:
32in diameter and 22 inches long. They probably should have been cut longer but these will be for my small folk art parlor guitars. We got a dusting of snow in the highlands of Virginia today too. Yesterday I was out mushroom hunting at 65deg LOL!

I just resawed some EWP from a tree we milled last year.
Attachment:
B48DFBE2-87A9-41A9-85E4-E8BDBBBEE072.jpeg

For some folk art little guitars myself.

These users thanked the author Skarsaune for the post: Hesh (Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:10 am)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:47 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Skarsaune wrote:
jfmckenna wrote:

I just resawed some EWP from a tree we milled last year.
Attachment:
B48DFBE2-87A9-41A9-85E4-E8BDBBBEE072.jpeg

For some folk art little guitars myself.

Nice!

I got in on an old Maple tree that fell a few years ago on one of my local University's property, a historic museum. The tree fell and they offered it up to local wood workers with an agreement that they would build something for the museum. The profs of the forestry department estimated the tree was 350 years old so it was a piece of history itself. Anyway, the wood is just about dry enough to use now. I've also got some other local soft wood that I need to get tested. It looks a lot like red spruce. It was a shelf that my wife used to dry her pottery work on. When we moved away from the old farm to a new house she told me I ought to look at that shelf. I didn't really feel like it but went down in the basement anyway and it was this perfectly quartersawn board of what looks like spruce that was 23 inches wide and vertical grain all the way across. Got a few nail holes in it but that's just part of the folk art story.

These users thanked the author jfmckenna for the post (total 2): Skarsaune (Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:37 am) • Hesh (Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:10 am)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:42 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Chuck
Last Name: Skarsaune
City: Butler
State: TN
Love rescued / repurposed wood.
We got a similar call about a big oak that came down local. I’ve got a couple of pieces in my kiln now.
The mayor called the other day about a big maple. Going to look at it this week.

These users thanked the author Skarsaune for the post: jfmckenna (Tue Apr 19, 2022 3:16 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 3:18 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Tried this today on fretboard when wicking CA under the frets, worked like magic.
I've tried a few furniture waxes, beeswax and candle wax, but this beats them all.
The CA (Bob Smith Industries Insta Cure Super Thin CA) just floated on it and wicked under and around the frets leaving very little residue on the fretboard for the attention of a single edged razor blade.
Leaves a nice sheen on the board and feels very good under the fingers.

These users thanked the author Colin North for the post (total 4): Hesh (Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:32 am) • Durero (Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:03 pm) • joshnothing (Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:08 am) • SteveSmith (Tue Apr 19, 2022 4:32 pm)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:33 am 

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
Yep we are waxers and wickers too and it works great save time and energy with less clean up too.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 5:57 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

16" model, EIR/Torrified Sitka, Padauk neck and bridge, just off the bench.
Finish is Osmo Oil (silk) neck, back & sides, GluBoost top and headplate.

These users thanked the author Colin North for the post: Hesh (Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:23 pm)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1415 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 57  Next