Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1415 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 57  Next
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 4:14 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Pat
Last Name: Foster
Focus: Build
Got this lil' feller ready for finish, unless I decide to relocate the 9th fret marker to its proper place.

Attachment:
DSC08218.jpeg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

http://www.patfosterguitars.com

These users thanked the author Pat Foster for the post: Hesh (Sat Dec 18, 2021 7:30 am)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 5:10 pm 
Koa
Koa

Good looking uke Brad. I don't think anyone other than maybe Jake Shimabukuro would notice! :)

These users thanked the author Darrel Friesen for the post: Hesh (Sat Dec 18, 2021 7:30 am)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 6:33 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Robbie_McD wrote:
Nicely done!
That looks like a fun build, I wonder what kind of tone it produces?

They are a lot of fun to build. They sound a lot bigger than they look too. So far I have built 5 of these and each one has really surprised me. And in fact frankly one of them is one of the best guitars I have built to date. It was just a lot of luck but it sounds glorious. I have learned a LOT building these things. It has changed my entire outlook on what 'tonewood' really is. That or oak and pine is just a perfect combination for a small parlor guitar.

Bryan Bear wrote:
That looks cool. To think, that OLF challenge launched a whole product line for you.

Yeah it was the YouTube videos that caught on. I was not at all expecting that. But for the right person these guitars are perfect. It's why I always refer to them as folk art guitars because that is exactly what they are. So far every one I have built one for wants a nice sounding guitar first but second they love the idea of a guitar built from the wood of an old fallen down barn. Problem is I am running out of wood now.

These users thanked the author jfmckenna for the post: Robbie_McD (Sat Dec 18, 2021 8:06 pm)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 8:08 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Carl
Last Name: Dickinson
City: Forest Ranch
State: California
Zip/Postal Code: 95942
Now that we finally have some rain and burn piles are taken care of, it's time to harvest some boards from some of the Manzanita I found while brush clearing.
Four logs gave me this stack of @ 1/2" X 2"-5" X 36" pieces. Hopefully for binding, fretboards, bridges and other veneer trim.
Attachment:
Manzanitadryingstack2.jpg

Here's one of the straightest.
Attachment:
Manzanitalog.jpg

Here's a couple of the pieces. I've used the light outside layer for inlay material.
Attachment:
Manzanitablanks.jpg

More to go through.
Attachment:
Manzanitalogs01.jpg

Some burls too. Makes nice rosettes. The white stuff is snow from yesterday's storm
Attachment:
Manzanitaburls.jpg

I've got a lot of other dry standing stuff saved over the years. Hopefully the ants and checking left some intact pieces.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

These users thanked the author CarlD for the post: Hesh (Sat Dec 18, 2021 7:31 am)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:27 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I've been working on this instrument. A little more finessing, final assembly and polishing to do.
Attachment:
IMG_3772 small.JPG

These users thanked the author Jim Watts for the post: Hesh (Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:42 am)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:43 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Carl
Last Name: Dickinson
City: Forest Ranch
State: California
Zip/Postal Code: 95942
What's the inner ring of the rosette, Jim?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:55 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

It's a slice of maple burl.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:58 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Barry
Last Name: Daniels
My latest project is a '73 Martin D-18 that has some poor modifications as you may see. I plan on pulling the pots and plugging the holes along with a needed refret and neck reset. But when I looked inside I discovered the real damage. During installation of the pots the X-brace was completely cut away in a huge notch, then they added a sister brace to try and replace the strength, but they notched it out too. The photo doesn't show the notch very well. They also knocked one of the finger braces out and moved it. I am not sure how I am going to restore the x-brace. I will try to get a better photo when my new boroscope arrives tomorrow.

These users thanked the author Barry Daniels for the post (total 2): PatrickW (Mon Dec 19, 2022 11:20 pm) • Hesh (Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:40 pm)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 12:33 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Doh!

It's amazing how people don't think first before doing something like that LOL.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:43 pm 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
Barry Daniels wrote:
My latest project is a '73 Martin D-18 that has some poor modifications as you may see. I plan on pulling the pots and plugging the holes along with a needed refret and neck reset. But when I looked inside I discovered the real damage. During installation of the pots the X-brace was completely cut away in a huge notch, then they added a sister brace to try and replace the strength, but they notched it out too. The photo doesn't show the notch very well. They also knocked one of the finger braces out and moved it. I am not sure how I am going to restore the x-brace. I will try to get a better photo when my new boroscope arrives tomorrow.

What a crying shame to see work like this on a nice Martin. Thanks for saving her Barry a very worthy endeavor.

A 73 may be also one of the Martins with a wrongly located saddle/bridge. May be an opportunity to check it and correct if it's one of the ones affected.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:52 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I will definitely check that out. Thanks.

I am also looking at that huge honking bridge plate and feeling the desire to rip it out.

These users thanked the author Barry Daniels for the post: Hesh (Sun Dec 19, 2021 4:00 pm)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:22 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Hesh, you are correct. The guitar essentially has zero compensation.

These users thanked the author Barry Daniels for the post: Hesh (Sun Dec 19, 2021 4:07 pm)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 4:07 pm 

Yeah their are a lot of these out here and many people don't notice the poor intonation if all they do are cowboy chords.

The bridge plates on this era were as you said huge and honking. Since this is a player replacement would likely improve it and that's a good idea Barry. We've replaced these before too just to free up the top more and let her open up.

This is a fun project and if you don't mind me pointing this out to others Barry is refretting it and doing a neck reset. We've come to the conclusion that a neck reset should always, always have at the very least a fret dress afterwards and if there is fret wear it may be even better to refret and level the board and kill any body hump in the process.

So we call this service "The Whole Nine Yards" and won't price a reset alone because it's a poor approach to not address the fret plane when the neck has been off and altered, angle wise. Additionally when they need a reset they often have other issues such as lifting bridge wings, etc. So our Whole Nine Yards often is a $1,200 service but when they get it back it's perfect and ready for many decades to come.

These users thanked the author Hesh for the post: Robbie_McD (Mon Dec 20, 2021 7:17 am)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 4:18 pm 

OK new week so I'll add more progress. My 45 watt Marshall clone is done and rockin!! Just had my brother over to help me flip it and install it in the cab since I can't lift anything now with five identified hernias.....

This was a VERY fun project and a nice diversion from fixing guitars. This is my third amp that I have built in three months and my only regret is that I'm out of amps to build. There were some new things for me on this one such as biasing the power tubes. I now own a bias meter and know how to do it. I love math :)

StewMac was superb with me and my one glitch that I caused melting a plastic British input jack StewMac promptly sent me a new one complimentary. They also unexpectedly sent me a matched set of high end EL34 power tubes for this amp or as spares. Wow I'm thrilled.

So this is the first time it's been in it's cab and fired up and it works great.

Sweetwater will have the Marshall oversized extension cabs this month they tell me and I have one set aside for me loaded with 4 12" Greenbacks, 25 watt Greenbacks so they break up quicker.

My rendition of Leonard Cohen will sound killer though this rig :) Kidding of course but The Who, The Stones and Hendrix will be right at home.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:33 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Dan
Last Name: Smith
City: Round Rock
State: TX
Zip/Postal Code: 78681
Hesh: “cowboy chords” cracked me up!
I reckon that includes using the thumb on a G chord. Haha

Sweet amp you are building!
My favorite amp was the Fender Music Master Bass amp.
I had two. I believe it was about 15 watts, with three tubes, 15” speaker.
I drove mine with a mic preamp, and cranked the volume all the way up.
It had the sweetest clean distortion ever.
My current amp is an Orange 30W 2x12 combo tube amp. No effects: just plug in and go.

These users thanked the author dzsmith for the post: Hesh (Mon Dec 20, 2021 3:36 am)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 3:40 am 

dzsmith wrote:
Hesh: “cowboy chords” cracked me up!
I reckon that includes using the thumb on a G chord. Haha

Sweet amp you are building!
My favorite amp was the Fender Music Master Bass amp.
I had two. I believe it was about 15 watts, with three tubes, 15” speaker.
I drove mine with a mic preamp, and cranked the volume all the way up.
It had the sweetest clean distortion ever.
My current amp is an Orange 30W 2x12 combo tube amp. No effects: just plug in and go.

Dan the MusicMaster amps were very cool!!! Amps today suck ass and sounds like ****. I was amazed at how good the 5 watt sounded so I built the 15 and that sounds killer so went to the 45 :)

Cowboy Chords :) you can tell what people play by the fret wear and which position it's in. Shortly after Stairway was written we started seeing 6th, 7th, 8th fret wear on guitars that had been at a G*itar C*nter on a Saturday afternoon when every snot nosed brat in town were all doing their own bad versions of Stairway at the same time and in different tunings....:). That must be what hell is like :)

These users thanked the author Hesh for the post: dzsmith (Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:54 am)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:00 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Nice looking amp Hesh. I was tempted to build a 45 Plexi but decided to go with the 18 watter. So speaking of amps and in the spirit of what we do in out workshops I had a good hour long session banging on this amp last night and it even inspired a new song for my band :D

This amp has a 20 watt Greenback in it and it's fantastic.

These users thanked the author jfmckenna for the post (total 3): Hesh (Wed Dec 22, 2021 4:17 am) • Chris Pile (Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:22 am) • Robbie_McD (Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:27 am)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:20 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Side profiles for a 'wedge' bodied OM
Attachment:
OMR 022.JPG

If you want to know how to obtain them, it's here:
viewtopic.php?f=10102&t=8117&hilit=+side

These users thanked the author Dave Higham for the post: Hesh (Wed Dec 22, 2021 4:24 am)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:05 pm 
Koa
Koa

jfmckenna wrote:
Nice looking amp Hesh. I was tempted to build a 45 Plexi but decided to go with the 18 watter. So speaking of amps and in the spirit of what we do in out workshops I had a good hour long session banging on this amp last night and it even inspired a new song for my band :D

Some great looking amps guys! Makes me want to pull my old Mesa Boogie 11C out of storage and shake the wife's dishes. Can't bring myself to sell it but it's inevitable as my gigging days are over. :)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:48 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Here is a better photo of the D-18. The pot's hole that falls right on top of a brace is the lower leg of the original X-brace. The X-brace and the adjacent sister brace were apparently notched out for clearance. The repair plan will be taking a detour.

These users thanked the author Barry Daniels for the post: Hesh (Wed Dec 22, 2021 4:21 am)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 4:20 am 

jfmckenna wrote:

JF very, very cool and your rig looks fantastic. Thanks for the comment on the Greenback too I have not heard them in person so I am taking a recommendation of another friend who gigs. You comment makes me feel better that I will like them.

I would have gone with the 18 watt too had Stew Mac offered it. Was trying to stick with StewMac at least for a while because of the legendary great documentation and my need for hand holding.

Very cool thanks for posting that and rock on :D

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 4:23 am 

Barry Daniels wrote:
Here is a better photo of the D-18. The pot's hole that falls right on top of a brace is the lower leg of the original X-brace. The X-brace and the adjacent sister brace were apparently notched out for clearance. The repair plan will be taking a detour.

Barry you are a braver Luthier than I am that would scare the hell out of me :) Dave would dive in :)

This is some of the worse prior work I have ever seen, wow and what a shame too. But with your help this guitar has a bright future once again. Thanks for being there for the guitar and it's steward Barry.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:36 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

At this point I will either be retopping the D-18 or pulling the back and rebracing the top. I basically have to decide if the top is worth saving.

Hesh, I don't know if I am brave or foolish.

These users thanked the author Barry Daniels for the post: Hesh (Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:55 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:18 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: peter
Last Name: havriluk
City: granby
State: ct
Zip/Postal Code: 06035
Is this D-18 a candidate for retopping? Any possibility of sourcing a braced top from Martin's 'Guitarmaker's connection'?'

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:56 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Phil, it is definitely a candidate. I doubt Martin would sell me a braced top, but I can check. However, I should have no problems in recreating a new one.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1415 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 57  Next