Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1415 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 57  Next
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 5:38 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

City: Lenoir City
State: TN
Zip/Postal Code: 37772
Focus: Repair
Hesh wrote:
Well not much happening in my shop recently but I just got out of the hospital and I am now officially a cardiac kid.... Hesh has a-fib and it's manageable but no more medial weed for me, sadly. Notice my priorities LOL.... I may put my bong in the classified here JUST KIDDING...

But I hope to go back to our shop and do some geetar fixing tomorrow if I feel up to it.

It was pretty scary an ambulance and the fire department came and we thought it was a heart attack. Everyone was wonderful to me and although I am VERY beat up at the moment I think I'm on the road to recovery and not yet destined for that place filled with pre-war Martins and 58 - 60 Lesters or, alternatively and no offense Josh my friend the alternative where old Ov*tions go. :)

Glad you’re ok. Welcome to the cardiac club.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

These users thanked the author SteveSmith for the post: Hesh (Mon May 30, 2022 11:27 am)

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 6:17 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: colin
Last Name: north
Focus: Build
Hesh wrote:
Well not much happening in my shop recently but I just got out of the hospital and I am now officially a cardiac kid.... Hesh has a-fib and it's manageable but no more medial weed for me, sadly. Notice my priorities LOL.... I may put my bong in the classified here JUST KIDDING...

But I hope to go back to our shop and do some geetar fixing tomorrow if I feel up to it.

It was pretty scary an ambulance and the fire department came and we thought it was a heart attack. Everyone was wonderful to me and although I am VERY beat up at the moment I think I'm on the road to recovery and not yet destined for that place filled with pre-war Martins and 58 - 60 Lesters or, alternatively and no offense Josh my friend the alternative where old Ov*tions go. :)

I'm sure you will, but take care of yourself Hesh.

Catgut is an abbreviation of the word cattle gut. Gut strings are made from sheep or goat intestines, in the past even from horse, mule or donkey intestines.

Otherwise it could be from the word kitgut or kitstring. Kit meant fiddle, not kitten.

These users thanked the author Colin North for the post: Hesh (Mon May 30, 2022 11:27 am)

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 6:52 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Don
Last Name: Parker
City: Charleston
State: West Virginia
Zip/Postal Code: 25314
As scary and traumatic as that experience was, the good news is that you now know about the condition and can treat it; I’m glad that’s the case. Take care of yourself, Hesh.

These users thanked the author doncaparker for the post: Hesh (Mon May 30, 2022 11:27 am)

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 8:14 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Josh
Hesh wrote:

Sorry to hear about the A-Fib Hesh but glad you’re back at large. My best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author joshnothing for the post: Hesh (Mon May 30, 2022 11:30 am)

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 8:36 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Dang Hesh that is scary. Here's to hoping you get it perfectly under control. Both my mom and my step mom have been living with it for years. I've seen it happen to my mom and it is quite scary but totally manageable. Hang in there buddy.

These users thanked the author jfmckenna for the post: Hesh (Mon May 30, 2022 11:30 am)

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 9:05 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Chris
Last Name: Pile
City: Wichita
State: Kansas
Stick around. You might come in handy.

These users thanked the author Chris Pile for the post: Hesh (Mon May 30, 2022 11:30 am)

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 9:29 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

A fib is the disease du jour these days amongst the cool set. A guy ain’t no kinda nothin if they haven’t had it.

Welcome aboard.

These users thanked the author Terence Kennedy for the post: Hesh (Mon May 30, 2022 11:31 am)

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 8:58 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Robert
Last Name: Ionta
City: Hopkinton
State: Massachusetts
Zip/Postal Code: 01748
That whole ambulance thing is pretty scary. Wishing you an easy time dealing with A-fib.

These users thanked the author bionta for the post: Hesh (Mon May 30, 2022 11:31 am)

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 9:29 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Brad
Last Name: Combs
Take care, Hesh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

These users thanked the author bcombs510 for the post: Hesh (Mon May 30, 2022 11:31 am)

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 11:35 am 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
Wow thanks everyone you made my day!!

So I'm home and even went to work and repaired three today :). I need a med adjustment my heart rate is too low hovering around 50 which is lower than my usual 60. I feel fine though, no dizziness, etc.

Afib seems to indeed be very common now and that sucks for all of us. But what are ya going to do. idunno

I'm glad to be kicking though and the ambulance ride was indeed enough to give you a heart attack :)

Thanks again everyone I love you guys!!!

These users thanked the author Hesh for the post: jfmckenna (Mon May 30, 2022 10:51 pm)

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 8:55 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Big
Last Name: Jim
State: Deep in the heart of Bluegrass
Hesh wrote:

Take Care , I buried my 38 Yr old son in march from same situation, his went into heart attack it was instant and no second chance . Be safe

Forgiveness is the ability to accept an apology that you will probably NEVER GET
The truth will set you free , But FIRST, it will probably Piss you Off !
Creativity is allowing yourself to make Mistakes, Art is knowing which ones to Keep !
The Saddest thing anyone can do , is push a Loyal Person to the point that they Dont Care Anymore
Never met a STRONG person who had an EASY past !
http://wiksnwudwerks.blogspot.com/
http://www.facebook.com/groups/GatewayA ... rAssembly/

These users thanked the author WudWerkr for the post: Hesh (Tue May 31, 2022 3:24 pm)

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 9:59 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Dan
Last Name: Smith
City: Round Rock
State: TX
Zip/Postal Code: 78681
Finished spraying lacquer on this build.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

These users thanked the author dzsmith for the post (total 5): PatrickW (Tue Dec 20, 2022 12:31 am) • Michaeldc (Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:37 am) • Robbie_McD (Tue May 31, 2022 7:36 pm) • Hesh (Tue May 31, 2022 3:24 pm) • Chris Pile (Tue May 31, 2022 2:42 pm)

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 10:52 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Chuck
Last Name: Skarsaune
City: Butler
Hesh wrote:
Wow thanks everyone you made my day!!
Thanks again everyone I love you guys!!!

As somebody said above, stick around.
Your contributions here are much appreciated, even by us lurkers.

These users thanked the author Skarsaune for the post: Hesh (Tue May 31, 2022 3:24 pm)

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 1:11 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Robert
Last Name: Ionta
City: Hopkinton
State: Massachusetts
Zip/Postal Code: 01748
WudWerkr wrote:
Take Care , I buried my 38 Yr old son in march from same situation, his went into heart attack it was instant and no second chance . Be safe

I’m very sorry for your loss.

These users thanked the author bionta for the post (total 2): Hesh (Tue May 31, 2022 3:24 pm) • WudWerkr (Tue May 31, 2022 2:18 pm)

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 3:26 pm 

WudWerkr wrote:
Hesh wrote:

Wow very sorry to hear this too Wud that's terrible!

These users thanked the author Hesh for the post: WudWerkr (Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:31 am)

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 4:56 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Ed
Last Name: Bond
City: Vancouver
I’m sorry to hear that WudWerkr….

These users thanked the author meddlingfool for the post: WudWerkr (Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:31 am)

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 5:16 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

City: Lenoir City
Zip/Postal Code: 37772
Yes, so sorry WudWerkr

These users thanked the author SteveSmith for the post: WudWerkr (Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:31 am)

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 5:58 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Ken
Last Name: Nagy
City: Goodrich
State: MI
I hope you've been recovering from that Jim. Children should outlive us. Our daughter works as a nurse in NICU and deals with happy and sad stories. But when it hits home.

These users thanked the author Ken Nagy for the post: WudWerkr (Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:31 am)

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 6:13 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Don
Last Name: Parker
City: Charleston
State: West Virginia
Zip/Postal Code: 25314
Jim—

That’s a terrible loss. I’m so sorry to hear that your family has had to go through that. It happened to my parents (I lost an older sister and my mother’s parents in a fire), and I saw how it affected them. My deepest sympathies.

These users thanked the author doncaparker for the post: WudWerkr (Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:30 am)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:40 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I admit that I fell for the advertising but I've always wanted a Klon clone so here I go. This is the Stew Mac Klon clone they call the Ghost Drive. Will make a nice weekend project.

These users thanked the author jfmckenna for the post (total 2): joshnothing (Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:46 am) • Hesh (Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:12 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:37 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Thank you everyone , didnt mean to steal the thread. Do miss him. Pic of him . Thanks

Attachment:
IMG_E8516.JPG

Now back to "Whats going on in your shop "

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Forgiveness is the ability to accept an apology that you will probably NEVER GET
Creativity is allowing yourself to make Mistakes, Art is knowing which ones to Keep !
The Saddest thing anyone can do , is push a Loyal Person to the point that they Dont Care Anymore

These users thanked the author WudWerkr for the post: Hesh (Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:12 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 1:59 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Jees man that's terrible. So sorry for your loss.

These users thanked the author jfmckenna for the post: Hesh (Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:12 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:13 pm 

jfmckenna wrote:
I admit that I fell for the advertising but I've always wanted a Klon clone so here I go. This is the Stew Mac Klon clone they call the Ghost Drive. Will make a nice weekend project.

JF please let me know how you like it tone wise when completed I saw those too and want one?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:45 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Ken
Last Name: Nagy
City: Goodrich
State: MI
I have a couple of neck sets looming. I've done a dozen of the violin sort. Easy. The Cello should be the same but different. It is a bit off the norm; par for me; because I built the ribs tapered so the back is smaller, and more comfortable. Like a rib bevel for your legs! I have to add about 3.5 degrees to the angle from the top.

I only have all the wood for an arch top. I'm thinking 7 string 680 scale. A-D or B to E or whatever. Just a low string. 12 fret, low bridge. Outline is a Stauffer regular on the bass, and a Stauffer Terz on the treble. Wasn't happy with any f holes, so I'll do something to mimic the Terz side. With pearl?

I really do like working on the cello. It is just as easy as a violin, or an arch top. but BIGGER. I like the bigger scale. Wood is more expensive, and the strings? Guitar people have it made. Violin strings I can get wholesale for $50-80. Decent Cello D'addario Helicores are $110, good synthetics are $180-260, and real Guts are about 180! I don't really like the sound of metal strings. I do have Helicores on my 5 string, and they sound good, but WAY different. Good sound for a 5 string I guess. Probably easy to amp up?

Attachment:
IMG_0925.jpg

Attachment:
IMG_0927.jpg

Attachment:
IMG_0926.jpg

Attachment:
IMG_0924.jpg

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:22 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Ken Nagy wrote:
I have a couple of neck sets looming. I've done a dozen of the violin sort. Easy. The Cello should be the same but different. It is a bit off the norm; par for me; because I built the ribs tapered so the back is smaller, and more comfortable. Like a rib bevel for your legs! I have to add about 3.5 degrees to the angle from the top.

I only have all the wood for an arch top. I'm thinking 7 string 680 scale. A-D or B to E or whatever. Just a low string. 12 fret, low bridge. Outline is a Stauffer regular on the bass, and a Stauffer Terz on the treble. Wasn't happy with any f holes, so I'll do something to mimic the Terz side. With pearl?

I really do like working on the cello. It is just as easy as a violin, or an arch top. but BIGGER. I like the bigger scale. Wood is more expensive, and the strings? Guitar people have it made. Violin strings I can get wholesale for $50-80. Decent Cello D'addario Helicores are $110, good synthetics are $180-260, and real Guts are about 180! I don't really like the sound of metal strings. I do have Helicores on my 5 string, and they sound good, but WAY different. Good sound for a 5 string I guess. Probably easy to amp up?

Beautiful Work , I have people asking if I repair violins , I turn them away

Attachment:
IMG_0925.jpg

Attachment:
IMG_0927.jpg

Attachment:
IMG_0926.jpg

Attachment:
IMG_0924.jpg

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1415 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 57  Next