Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1418 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 57  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:44 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Chris
Last Name: Pile
City: Wichita
State: Kansas
Focus: Repair
I have an Israeli made B&G Calretta on the bench, needs a fret level from the 10th on up and some lighter strings. I thought the fret ends had a bit of sprout, too. Sweet little axe... Cute, too. Plays great now, sounds sweet.

https://i.imgur.com/xBh6dQs.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/BR2bA0c.jpg

These users thanked the author Chris Pile for the post (total 2): Hesh (Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:37 am) • Pmaj7 (Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:38 am)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:39 am 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
Chris Pile wrote:
I have an Israeli made B&G Calretta on the bench, needs a fret level from the 10th on up and some lighter strings. I thought the fret ends had a bit of sprout, too. Sweet little axe... Cute, too. Plays great now, sounds sweet.

https://i.imgur.com/xBh6dQs.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/BR2bA0c.jpg

I've never seen one of these and it's cool. Got the L-OO shape to it as well. I wonder how they do their RH control since it's so dang dry there or can be depending on where you are in the south or the north.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:39 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I can't speak to Israel, but the owner needs to gets some RH control in his home. He's the same guy with the $7000 Taylor I worked on awhile back....

The guitar is based on an old Stella model, according to company lore. No Stella I've ever seen looked this good, played this nice, or sounded even close.

These users thanked the author Chris Pile for the post: Hesh (Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:53 am)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:52 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Michael
Last Name: Giltzow
City: Boise
State: Idaho
Zip/Postal Code: 83709
Focus: Build
Happy New Year to everyone.

I just finished an L-00 size guitar: Australian Blackwood sides, back & top. Also an Astrolabe. Pics below

These users thanked the author giltzow for the post (total 5): PatrickW (Mon Dec 19, 2022 11:32 pm) • Hesh (Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:57 pm) • Terence Kennedy (Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:57 pm) • bcombs510 (Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:38 pm) • Chris Pile (Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:52 pm)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:22 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Dave
Last Name: Ball
I've mostly been taking the time to try to get my shop organized better. Spent the bulk of 2021 moving the rest of what I was going to move from my house/shop of 35 years into the new place which is about a third the size of the old place. The shop has been a temporary storage/parsing out area.

That's done now, so I'm organizing and finally getting back to my deep bodied 000 seven string square neck Hawaiian...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

These users thanked the author ballbanjos for the post (total 3): Hesh (Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:57 pm) • bcombs510 (Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:39 pm) • Chris Pile (Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:53 pm)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:43 pm 
Koa
Koa

A new start:) OM:) let’s do this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author SnowManSnow for the post (total 2): Chris Pile (Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:43 pm) • Hesh (Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:57 pm)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:59 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Nice work Glitzow!! What’s the white veneer on the headstock? Looks great with the purfling.

These users thanked the author Terence Kennedy for the post (total 2): giltzow (Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:48 pm) • Hesh (Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:57 pm)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:40 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Glitz that is a gorgeous guitar. I have no idea what an Astrolabe is but it lookks cool too.

Second Terence's question about the white purfs on the head stock. ?

These users thanked the author jfmckenna for the post (total 2): giltzow (Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:48 pm) • Hesh (Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:58 pm)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:58 pm 

I'm seeing some exceptionally fine work and artist's eyes here!!! Wow!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:47 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Last Name: Giltzow
City: Boise
State: Idaho
Zip/Postal Code: 83709
Terence Kennedy wrote:
Nice work Glitzow!! What’s the white veneer on the headstock? Looks great with the purfling.

Hi Terence
That is LMI white fiber veneer .020" thick. The white line around the peg head is a plastic purfling 0.010" wide
Thanks - Mike G

These users thanked the author giltzow for the post: Terence Kennedy (Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:53 am)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:27 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: colin
Last Name: north
Venture into the unknown.
Using a mega-mold for the first time. I have always used external molds (ex. classicals) but got a good deal in a swap for a UK made version of the mega-mold and decided to use it for experimental shapes and builds at least.
KMG site maintained by John Parchem has been really useful for planning this. thanks John!
First part of EIR sides in the mold settling, planning on laminated sides for the first time.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Catgut is an abbreviation of the word cattle gut. Gut strings are made from sheep or goat intestines, in the past even from horse, mule or donkey intestines.

Otherwise it could be from the word kitgut or kitstring. Kit meant fiddle, not kitten.

These users thanked the author Colin North for the post (total 3): Durero (Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:26 pm) • Hesh (Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:17 am) • bcombs510 (Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:03 am)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:56 pm 
Koa
Koa

Last Name: Colbert
City: Anacortes
State: WA
One of the problems with commissions is that the client usually wants an aesthetic you’ve done multiple times before. Luthiery in the time of Covid has been both productive and profitable but I’m BORED! So I’ve put all of my current clients on hold until I’m not bored anymore. This could take some time -

Meanwhile, I’m playing with a 16” L-5ish Benedetto sort a thing. I’m currently not board and actually really enjoying my shop time.

Happy New Year everyone!

M

These users thanked the author Michaeldc for the post: Hesh (Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:22 am)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:11 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: john
Last Name: hall
City: Hegins
State: pa
Zip/Postal Code: 17938
finish buffing

Co President of ASIA
You Don't know what you don't know until you know it

These users thanked the author bluescreek for the post (total 5): PatrickW (Mon Dec 19, 2022 11:34 pm) • Durero (Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:28 am) • J De Rocher (Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:00 pm) • Hesh (Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:25 am) • Chris Pile (Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:13 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:25 am 

Michaeldc wrote:
One of the problems with commissions is that the client usually wants an aesthetic you’ve done multiple times before. Luthiery in the time of Covid has been both productive and profitable but I’m BORED! So I’ve put all of my current clients on hold until I’m not bored anymore. This could take some time -

Meanwhile, I’m playing with a 16” L-5ish Benedetto sort a thing. I’m currently not board and actually really enjoying my shop time.

Happy New Year everyone!

M

She's a beauty Michael! Just wanted to say that's what happened to me I got very bored at what my clients wanted me to produce. It kind of ruined it for me..... After 54 and before I finished 55 it was time to find another aspect of the trade that kept my interest and that was how Ann Arbor Guitars was formed.

Might there be some repair work in your future my friend? :) Now a days I love my work mostly because it's always different making it more interesting. If I am on something I don't like I'm only into it for maybe a couple of hours.

Great looking Archie!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:26 am 

bluescreek wrote:
finish buffing

Wow that is absolutely stunning and as shiny as can be too!!! Beautiful John!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:44 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Don
Last Name: Parker
City: Charleston
State: West Virginia
Zip/Postal Code: 25314
In addition to applying finish to my latest guitar (no photos at the moment), I will be cleaning and tuning up this bad boy, who came to live in The Undercroft last weekend:

Attachment:
Uniplane.jpg

These users thanked the author doncaparker for the post (total 2): joshnothing (Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:12 am) • Hesh (Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:25 am)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:59 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

City: Lenoir City
State: TN
Zip/Postal Code: 37772
That uniplane looks like it could be real useful especially with a good mitre gauge setup.

I’ve been busy making parts for a nylon crossover. Hopefully get the sides bent today.

Last edited by SteveSmith on Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

These users thanked the author SteveSmith for the post: Hesh (Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:25 am)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:47 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Tony
Last Name: Thatcher
City: Bozeman
State: MT
Just finished up my first Tele. Oregon myrtlewood top, alder back, maple neck. Played it in the white last night and am pleased with it. Some minor work still before putting finish on.

Edited to add the photo that didn't load from Tapatalk.....

Attachment:
20220112_151449.jpg

These users thanked the author mountain whimsy for the post (total 5): PatrickW (Mon Dec 19, 2022 11:35 pm) • Hesh (Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:26 am) • Robbie_McD (Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:43 pm) • bcombs510 (Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:47 pm) • Chris Pile (Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:45 pm)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:45 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

The top on that Tele is gorgeous!

These users thanked the author Chris Pile for the post (total 2): mountain whimsy (Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:27 am) • Hesh (Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:26 am)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:27 am 

mountain whimsy wrote:
Just finished up my first Tele. Oregon myrtlewood top, alder back, maple neck. Played it in the white last night and am pleased with it. Some minor work still before putting finish on.

Edited to add the photo that didn't load from Tapatalk.....

Attachment:
20220112_151449.jpg

Great design/artist's eye Tony, she's beautiful and looks like a lot of fun to go rocking with.

These users thanked the author Hesh for the post: mountain whimsy (Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:27 am)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:32 am 

Took delivery of my Marshall 1960TV 4 X 12" Greenbacks cab and have been rocking and rolling here ever since. They neighbors are traumatized and fleeing for their lives... :)

You should hear me do Purple Haze with my Jimi Hendrix Fuzzface pedal with this thing and a Lew Paul! :)

The head works great, no issues or problems, not a one. This finishes amp three for me and I'm bored......

Hesh is returning to his childhood here and loving it. :)

These users thanked the author Hesh for the post (total 2): Robbie_McD (Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:39 am) • joshnothing (Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:13 am)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:35 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: colin
Last Name: north
That Tele is drop dead gorgeous!

Catgut is an abbreviation of the word cattle gut. Gut strings are made from sheep or goat intestines, in the past even from horse, mule or donkey intestines.

Otherwise it could be from the word kitgut or kitstring. Kit meant fiddle, not kitten.

These users thanked the author Colin North for the post (total 2): Hesh (Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:43 pm) • mountain whimsy (Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:27 am)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:20 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Josh
Hesh, sounds like you’ve outgrown kit amps :D time to pick up some electrical engineering text books and design your own circuits.. :D

Got a couple refrets at the moment, a jumbo where all four back braces are almost totally loose, and the music teacher from a local elementary school just dropped off a pile of abused Indonesian plywood GSOs to defibrilate so the kids can stay busy for another semester …

These users thanked the author joshnothing for the post (total 2): Hesh (Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:42 pm) • Chris Pile (Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:08 am)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:27 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Tony
Last Name: Thatcher
City: Bozeman
State: MT
giltzow wrote:
Happy New Year to everyone.

I just finished an L-00 size guitar: Australian Blackwood sides, back & top. Also an Astrolabe. Pics below

Love both of them!

These users thanked the author mountain whimsy for the post: Hesh (Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:43 pm)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:43 pm 

joshnothing wrote:
Hesh, sounds like you’ve outgrown kit amps :D time to pick up some electrical engineering text books and design your own circuits.. :D

Got a couple refrets at the moment, a jumbo where all four back braces are almost totally loose, and the music teacher from a local elementary school just dropped off a pile of abused Indonesian plywood GSOs to defibrilate so the kids can stay busy for another semester …

"GSOs" LOL :D I can relate and completely understand Josh!! Yeah might have to take amp building to the next step.

These users thanked the author Hesh for the post: joshnothing (Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:46 pm)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1418 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 57  Next