Post subject: So What Did Ya Get :)
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 8:25 am 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
:) This thread is where you post pics of anything you received for the Holiday Season/Christmas/etc. that is Lutherie related or may be Lutherie related. If you are gifting something Lutherie related to someone feel free to post pics here too and good on ya too.

As for me my present to self is backordered so my 1960's Marshall 4 X 12" Greenback cab will have to have a pic posted another day but let's see what you all scored??? :)

Again Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays to everyone.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 10:12 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Brian
City: U.P.
Focus: Build
All year long, as one "retirement" project after another kept my shop more cluttered with wrenches and electronics than planes and chisels -- I kept promising myself -- AFTER Christmas the guitars kept safely out of harms way would finally get attention again.

Feeling pretty good about the possibility of that happening. When it does I'll post pics. 3 acoustics to finish and electronics for a strat and a tele bought for first attempts at a pair of electrics. That would be the best Christmas present of all.

These users thanked the author rbuddy for the post: Hesh (Sat Dec 25, 2021 1:02 pm)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 10:38 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Chris
Last Name: Pile
City: Wichita
State: Kansas
Focus: Repair
Present to myself - an incomplete project, not yet received....
I have wanted an Iceman since the late 70's.
Now I can build the one of my dreams.

https://i.imgur.com/z4NaNDp.jpg

These users thanked the author Chris Pile for the post (total 2): joshnothing (Sat Dec 25, 2021 2:20 pm) • Hesh (Sat Dec 25, 2021 1:03 pm)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 10:40 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Chuck
Last Name: Skarsaune
City: Butler
State: TN
As above, the best thing about the holidays so far has been some time to work on lutherie projects.

Finished and delivered a 000, delivering an es-335 copy tomorrow, got my black locust body fumed and ready for finish, inlaid a fret board.

Oh and it wasn’t really for Christmas, as I sold one of my vintage guitars to fund it, but I did get myself a nice table saw that I need to set up and rearrange the shop for. Already spent a couple of hours cleaning up, lol.

Merry Christmas.

These users thanked the author Skarsaune for the post (total 2): Chris Pile (Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:42 am) • Hesh (Sat Dec 25, 2021 1:03 pm)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 11:30 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Dan
Last Name: Smith
City: Round Rock
State: TX
Zip/Postal Code: 78681
Waiting for my new fret saw... I just have not found it yet.

These users thanked the author dzsmith for the post: Hesh (Sat Dec 25, 2021 1:03 pm)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 12:58 pm 
Koa
Koa

City: Lawrence
Zip/Postal Code: 66047
Same as last year. I'm going to have to investigate this "being nice" thing everyone is talking about

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

These users thanked the author Dave Rickard for the post (total 2): Hesh (Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:40 am) • Chris Pile (Sun Dec 26, 2021 3:23 pm)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 1:04 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: colin
Last Name: north
Pair of socks, leg weights and dumbbells.
Oh, and a book about philosophy.......

Catgut is an abbreviation of the word cattle gut. Gut strings are made from sheep or goat intestines, in the past even from horse, mule or donkey intestines.

Otherwise it could be from the word kitgut or kitstring. Kit meant fiddle, not kitten.

These users thanked the author Colin North for the post: Hesh (Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:40 am)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 1:11 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Bryan
Last Name: Bear
City: St. Louis
State: Mo
The best Luther is related present I got was a video from my best friend’s wife. She asked me if I would make a custom Guitar for her father. He has played a few of mine and really liked them. I took a picture of the pile of raw materials I was going to make it from. She framed it and gave it to him for Christmas. She sent me the video of him opening it and figuring out (with a little prompting) what it meant. He said, I don’t deserve this (which is such a classic father thing to think). She send me the video telling me she had never seen her dad cry before in her 41 years of life. It can be really hard to give parents a gift that really touches them; I’m honored to be a small part of that for her.

Take care of your feet, and your feet will take care of you.

These users thanked the author Bryan Bear for the post (total 5): Mark L. (Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:04 am) • Hesh (Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:40 am) • bcombs510 (Sun Dec 26, 2021 4:44 pm) • Chris Pile (Sun Dec 26, 2021 3:23 pm) • Dave Rickard (Sun Dec 26, 2021 1:16 pm)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 5:35 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Dave
Last Name: Ball
Ordered myself a Howard's Total Vise since I've been extra good this year...

Dave

These users thanked the author ballbanjos for the post (total 2): Chris Pile (Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:42 am) • Hesh (Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:40 am)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:43 am 

Dave Rickard wrote:
Same as last year. I'm going to have to investigate this "being nice" thing everyone is talking about

Dave when I was a kid my parents used to threaten to put poop in my stocking.... :D They never did put poop in my stocking but I did get a stinkin typewriter when I was ten years old and wanted a new Silvertone Amp..... A typewriter...... [xx(] :? [uncle]

I'll never understand why they thought that I might grow up to be a pedantic sort who likes to write :) What did they know anyway :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:47 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Quote:
.... but I did get a stinkin typewriter when I was ten years old and wanted a new Silvertone Amp..... A typewriter...... [xx(] :?

I know that feeling. I was around 13 or so, and wanted a guitar..... Instead, I got an accordian. I could not hide my disappointment and disgust. Mom was sure this was what I wanted because I had once marveled at the skill of Myron Floren playing with Lawrence Welk....

These users thanked the author Chris Pile for the post: Hesh (Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:13 pm)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:17 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Willard
Last Name: Guthrie
City: Cumberland
State: Maryland 21502
Zip/Postal Code: 21502
Goodness... it seems that the Fates are attempting to make up for the debacle of 2020 and the absolute train wreck/toxic waste spill of 2021. Not there yet, but with a few days left on the calendar page, I'll withhold final judgement.

- In the 'Out of the Blue' department, I mentioned to one of my friends from Greenridge that I was looking for some air-dried stock for a project or two intended for one of my grandchildren. A day later, I received photos of a stack of paulonia, and a promise of as many of those lovely air-dried slabs of 10/4 as could be moved in a truckload down from the Westminster area to Greenridge for resaw and rough milling. Should be more than enough for two future projects - a traditional two-section Japanese wedding chest sized for apartment/dorm living and a small chest of draws in a somewhat more contemporary 1930's style. Working on sourcing the hardware...

- Tickets for a couple's night out to one of those chichi cooking classes for two where you pay for your food twice... once to cook it, then again to eat what you cooked.

- A wool shop vest (really, a Western-cut, beautifully sewn riding vest from Schaefer Outfitters in Texas, but just the right weight for working in a winter shop). I have to thank the wardrobe people from the 'Yellowstone' and '1883' series for that bit of inspiration. And made in the USA, so no 'supply chain/'available September 2022' business!

-Mark Helprin, The Oceans and the Stars: A Sea Story, A War Story, A Love Story (A Novel)

Last edited by Woodie G on Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

These users thanked the author Woodie G for the post (total 3): Skarsaune (Tue Dec 28, 2021 6:06 pm) • Hesh (Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:14 pm) • Chris Pile (Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:38 am)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:40 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Quote:
A wool shop vest (really, a Western-cut, beautifully sewn riding vest from Schaefer Outfitters in Texas, but just the right weight for working in a winter shop). I have to thank the wardrobe people from the 'Yellowstone' and '1833' series for that bit of inspiration. And made in the USA, so no 'supply chain/'available September 2022' business!

Pix, please (for authentication purposes only).

These users thanked the author Chris Pile for the post: Hesh (Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:14 pm)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 3:22 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I was going to say nothing luthier related this year for me, well actually my wife and I have yet to open our gifts to eachother, but just a moment ago I got an email from a friend and client of mine who had a list of things including a planer, sanders, Dremel kit, Router and so on that he wants to give away so.... Merry Xmas to me :)

These users thanked the author jfmckenna for the post (total 3): Hesh (Tue Dec 28, 2021 4:04 am) • Bryan Bear (Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:07 pm) • Chris Pile (Mon Dec 27, 2021 3:32 pm)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:26 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Mike
Last Name: O'Melia
City: Huntsville
State: Alabama
I got a Taurus Judge (hand gun that shoots 410 shotgun shells). Its bad ass but not useful for guitar work. Unless that is, I hate my guitar work.

Mike

These users thanked the author Mike OMelia for the post (total 2): Hesh (Tue Dec 28, 2021 4:02 am) • Chris Pile (Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:07 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 4:04 am 

Mike OMelia wrote:
I got a Taurus Judge (hand gun that shoots 410 shotgun shells). Its bad ass but not useful for guitar work. Unless that is, I hate my guitar work.

Mike

Those are fun my friend has one and it's a riot when you just want to blow stuff up. We call it a belly gun. :). Maybe you can poke tuner holes in head stocks with it :) At least it wasn't a stinkin typewriter :)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:06 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I always thought I'd like to buy a Bonds Arms Snake Slayer that shoots .410 shells. The problem is my shooting skills suck because of a childhood eye trauma. So I leave it at the store, and make the world a safer place.

These users thanked the author Chris Pile for the post: Hesh (Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:08 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:55 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Chris Pile wrote:
I always thought I'd like to buy a Bonds Arms Snake Slayer that shoots .410 shells. The problem is my shooting skills suck because of a childhood eye trauma. So I leave it at the store, and make the world a safer place.

The snakes are grateful for that! As someone who kept herptiles in my youth, I can say most snakes don't need to be killed.
When I was 16 I bought a black powder pistol and used to plink away at cans with it down by the Susquehanna. It was a lot of fun. Back then you could stick a pistol between your belt and waistband and walk out of town with it - perfectly legal. I wouldn't try that in the State of Maryland today!
Owning a pistol in Maryland is more of a hassle than it is worth. Still, black powder pistols are not considered firearms in this State and don't have to be registered or require permits. I thought about buying another one (sold mine long ago), but I can have as much fun shooting a BB gun with less worry about accidental discharge.

These users thanked the author Clay S. for the post: Hesh (Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:22 am)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:21 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I wasn't thinking killing snakes, Clay. I was thinking self defense from idiots and crazies.

These users thanked the author Chris Pile for the post: Hesh (Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:22 am)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 6:09 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Chuck
Last Name: Skarsaune
City: Butler
State: TN
Woodie G wrote:
- A wool shop vest (really, a Western-cut, beautifully sewn riding vest from Schaefer Outfitters in Texas, but just the right weight for working in a winter shop). I have to thank the wardrobe people from the 'Yellowstone' and '1833' series for that bit of inspiration. And made in the USA, so no 'supply chain/'available September 2022' business!

Wow, thanks for the flashback. I had a Schaefer lined denim
Jacket a million moons ago. Glad to see they are still at it and Made in usa.

Got a birthday coming up, bookmarked their site to pass to my wife.

These users thanked the author Skarsaune for the post: Hesh (Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:23 am)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:17 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Mike
Last Name: O'Melia
City: Huntsville
State: Alabama
Hmm. Here in Alabama (not my home state, but I do like it), You can own/shoot/carry just about anything except automatic. My shop is on the outskirts of the town (Mentone). Its a free for all out here. Cabin theft is common. Good to let the crazies know u are armed. Sorry for the post divergence. lol. Mike

These users thanked the author Mike OMelia for the post: Hesh (Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:23 am)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:35 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Willard
Last Name: Guthrie
City: Cumberland
State: Maryland 21502
Zip/Postal Code: 21502
Chris Pile wrote:
Pix, please (for authentication purposes only).

:lol: I'll return to my lucrative shopwear modeling career just as soon as those holiday pounds return to wherever it is they came from...

-Mark Helprin, The Oceans and the Stars: A Sea Story, A War Story, A Love Story (A Novel)

These users thanked the author Woodie G for the post: Hesh (Thu Dec 30, 2021 5:54 am)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 4:01 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Ed
Last Name: Bond
City: Vancouver
:lol: I'll return to my lucrative shopwear modeling career just as soon as those holiday pounds return to wherever it is they came from...[/quote]

Didn't you get a receipt, lol?

These users thanked the author meddlingfool for the post: Hesh (Thu Dec 30, 2021 5:54 am)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:09 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Gregor
Last Name: Crothers
State: Ontario
although its hard to see, there is a new guitar shop in there! : )

Attachment:
IMG_20211211_144038.jpg

A few more months and I can start building & setting up a new shop room (again).

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

These users thanked the author gregorio for the post (total 2): Hesh (Thu Dec 30, 2021 5:54 am) • Chris Pile (Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:12 pm)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 5:55 am 

gregorio wrote:
although its hard to see, there is a new guitar shop in there! : )

Attachment:
IMG_20211211_144038.jpg

A few more months and I can start building & setting up a new shop room (again).

I can relate I once bought a basement Lutherie shop that happened to have a new house on tops of it. :)