Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 7:58 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Tai
Last Name: Fu
City: Taipei
Focus: Repair
So I did a setup on a customer's Fender Jagmaster on New Years Eve. He said the finish on it was soft to begin with and it wore through really quickly and was turning soft. It was one of those Fender signature guitars that had nitro finish... needless to say the finish all over the guitar, basically anywhere with body contact, and particularly the back of the neck, had rubbery finish that was sticky as hell and he's probably going to want it refinished.

What does Fender use in those finish? I seen other guitars finished with nitro and never saw it got so soft/sticky.

He said he'll probably want me to refinish it in surf green in the future. I will use poly, he does not appear to want nitro again.

Also, how would I go about getting a decal? I know Fender will provide them but there isn't really an authorized Fender outlet in Taiwan, so I wonder if they'd make an exception if I can furnish proof of the authenticity of the instrument? I guess when the time comes I can avoid the headstock but I also don't think I can match up the yellow tint in a good-looking way.

Cat-gut strings are made from kitten guts, stretched out to near breaking point and then hardened with grue saliva. As a result these give a feeling of Pain and anguish whenever played, and often end up playing themselves backwards as part of satanic rituals.

Typhoon Guitars
http://www.typhoon-guitars.com

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 8:35 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Barry
Last Name: Daniels
You can find lots of decals on etsy.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 4:25 am 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
I would not be worrying about what finish Fender uses this is not something I have ever heard of happening before to a Fender. Since you said it's rubbery wherever there is body contact your clients body chemistry is as suspect to me as the Fender finish if not more so.

The brand "Fender" is a very broad term to use when describing a guitar. What kind of Fender an Indonesian, Chinese, Mexican, Japanese or Korean one or was this a US one?

Some people have body chemistry, diet, karma.... whatever that hates guitar finishes, strings, fret boards, etc. I have a client who can ruin strings in two hours.....

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 5:21 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

This is a US one, one of those signature models costing over 2000 dollars. I forget the name of it...

I know nitro is prone to reacting with stuff sometimes, and poly does not react at all.

Cat-gut strings are made from kitten guts, stretched out to near breaking point and then hardened with grue saliva. As a result these give a feeling of Pain and anguish whenever played, and often end up playing themselves backwards as part of satanic rituals.

Typhoon Guitars

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:39 am 
Koa
Koa

Sometimes it is not really the person, but chemicals applied to the skin. Some finishes are softened by Vaseline which is in some lotions. Insect repellent, such as OFF, can be a very effective paint stripper. I have heard of cases where people apply OFF to themselves to go play guitar on the porch, and the finish is ruined.

These users thanked the author wbergman for the post: Hesh (Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:23 pm)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:02 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

So if nitro reacts so much with chemicals all around us (including ones from our hands), why are nitro touted to be better? It would seem poly would be the choice because once it cures, it does not react with anything at all and so it won't turn soft, check, yellow, or anything.

Besides they don't use it on cars anymore because aside from VOC issues, they can't stand up to outdoor environment particularly UV.

I guess this is why Collings use poly on necks.

Typhoon Guitars

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:57 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Nitro is not necessarily better, It's traditional and it has a great appearance when done well, a warmth and clarity that's hard for synthetics to match.
As far as stability and protection goes, poly has it beat.
Myself, I like nitro and shellac.