All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

Post subject: guitar support advice
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 4:25 am 
Koa
Koa

https://www.stringsbymail.com/guitarlif ... 21846.html

I am looking at trying the above guitar support for classical playing. I am worried about damage to the finish. One guitar is an old Kohno, which has cashew finish. Any advice?

Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:47 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Michael
Last Name: Colbert
City: Anacortes
State: WA
Focus: Build
https://www.neckup.com/

Best, M

These users thanked the author Michaeldc for the post: wbergman (Sun Jan 02, 2022 8:25 am)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 4:00 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Pat
Last Name: Foster
Only advice I have is that a customer of mine has one and uses it for extended practice and performing on one year old FP shellac. No problems so far. Cashew might be a whole other ball game.

http://www.patfosterguitars.com

These users thanked the author Pat Foster for the post: wbergman (Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:26 pm)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:00 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I would be inclined to use one similar to what Michael has posted, where the guitar side rests on the support and the support rests on your leg. The "Guitarlift" support looks like it concentrates the weight along a narrower band on your leg, the suction cups may damp the back some, and if the suction cups come loose the guitar being otherwise unsupported might fall.
Here is a comparison video of some guitar supports:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDQJYhPilek
Muriel Anderson often uses a support and might be able to advise you on them. She is using one in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYgNc1Qtqlk

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:30 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

What is a cashew finish? Never heard of it.

About 95 percent of my guitar playing now is classical and while I do ok with a traditional foot rest I do get back issues once and a while. What I have found that works best for me? Good old strap.

These users thanked the author jfmckenna for the post: wbergman (Mon Jan 03, 2022 3:46 pm)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:58 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

City: Lenoir City
State: TN
Zip/Postal Code: 37772
Focus: Repair
I also tried the supports and ended up using a strap.

These users thanked the author SteveSmith for the post: wbergman (Mon Jan 03, 2022 3:46 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:57 pm 
Koa
Koa

City: Escondido
State: CA
Zip/Postal Code: 92029
I saw the heading and thought, “Hello, my name is Bob and I’m a guitar-aholic”. I understand now what you mean. I guess THIS is my support group.

Never been able to accept those knee braces. I use a footstool, but as unconventional as it seems, I too am starting to like a good old fashioned strap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

These users thanked the author rlrhett for the post: wbergman (Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:28 am)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:31 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Putting a strap button on a fine handmade classical guitar is anathema to many players. There might be an opportunity for someone to make a clamp like a violin chin rest uses with a strap button mounted on it for those who need to strap one on their classical guitar [:Y:] laughing6-hehe

These users thanked the author Clay S. for the post: wbergman (Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:27 am)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:17 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Some classical guitar players who choose to use a strap but are still held back by the convictions of traditions ( ;) ) are using suction cups with little hooks on them to hold the strap.

These users thanked the author jfmckenna for the post (total 2): Clay S. (Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:52 pm) • wbergman (Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:19 am)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:38 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Waddy
Last Name: Thomson
City: Charlotte
State: NC
Conventions in the Classical world are a killer! I know several players that use that support. Those that do seem to like the stability it provides. It is very adaptable. That said, I have had bad luck with suction cups on my guitars. They don't seem to stick very well. They are fine for a while, but who knows when it will fail. Not a good picture for a performance!

Photobucket Build Album Library

Sound Clips of most of my guitars

These users thanked the author WaddyThomson for the post: wbergman (Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:22 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:28 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

You know, I've thought about this support and others for several years. It seems like it might be nice to incorporate a threaded insert or two in the sides or back edge somewhere and design a support around that, but I just don't have the guts to do it!
I do like this design though for the flexibility it brings. Footstools hurt my back too.

These users thanked the author Jim Watts for the post: wbergman (Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:23 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:56 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

WaddyThomson wrote:
Conventions in the Classical world are a killer! I know several players that use that support. Those that do seem to like the stability it provides. It is very adaptable. That said, I have had bad luck with suction cups on my guitars. They don't seem to stick very well. They are fine for a while, but who knows when it will fail. Not a good picture for a performance!

I had the same problem with mine until I got my finish chops down. Turns out it was shrinkage of the flller in the pores. With a smoother finish, no longer a problem.

These users thanked the author Pat Foster for the post: wbergman (Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:23 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:13 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Waddy
Last Name: Thomson
City: Charlotte
State: NC
I have gone in the opposite direction! I French polish with Royal-Lac then rub down with fine steel wool and put on a coat of wax on the body and top and buff that out by hand. Gives a very nice sheen without being highly glossy. Kinda like the look. That said, not a good environment for suction cups. My favorite attachment is the one that attaches with Magnets that are placed inside with removable tape, like those wall hangers use. That support is very adjustable, and just pulls right off. While on, it's solid. Can't remember who developed it.

Photobucket Build Album Library

Sound Clips of most of my guitars

These users thanked the author WaddyThomson for the post: wbergman (Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:26 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:29 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

WaddyThomson wrote:
I have gone in the opposite direction! I French polish with Royal-Lac then rub down with fine steel wool and put on a coat of wax on the body and top and buff that out by hand. Gives a very nice sheen without being highly glossy. Kinda like the look. That said, not a good environment for suction cups. My favorite attachment is the one that attaches with Magnets that are placed inside with removable tape, like those wall hangers use. That support is very adjustable, and just pulls right off. While on, it's solid. Can't remember who developed it.

That's a great support. Developed by Kris Barnett, now owned by Sageworks.

These users thanked the author Pat Foster for the post (total 2): wbergman (Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:25 pm) • WaddyThomson (Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:41 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:49 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Yeah the magnet ones are the best I have come across for some sort of leg support system and you can have multiple guitars too with jsut another set of magnets.

These users thanked the author jfmckenna for the post: wbergman (Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:25 pm)