Post subject: Wood storage
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:30 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Brad
Last Name: Combs
Focus: Build
Hi folks,

I’m stuck waiting for some finishing supplies to show up so I’m cleaning up the shop. I’ve been collecting some more wood recently and have overrun my shelf from harbor freight. This setup is not very good anyway because it’s hard to get the sets out.

Anyone care to share how they store wood and / or how I could improve the storage situation? I really only have this corner of the room to work with. The humidity controlled space is fairly small and separate from the rest of my shop.

Any ideas?

Brad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Post subject: Re: Wood storage
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 2:05 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Michael
Last Name: Colbert
City: Anacortes
State: WA
Hi Brad,

Here is a pic of my old shop wood storage. My new shop storage is identical only there’s more of it.

Best, M

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

These users thanked the author Michaeldc for the post: bcombs510 (Sat Mar 19, 2022 8:39 pm)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 3:28 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Jay
Last Name: De Rocher
City: Bothell
State: Washington
My wood storage looks similar to yours except yours is one step better than mine because your middle three shelves allow you to store the wood on edge so you can get to individual sets without a lot of unstacking.

I've seen Michael's storage system in person and it's a really nice setup. All the pieces are easily accessible without having to unstack anything and all of the wood is up and out of the way.

This thread reminds me that I have a spot in my shop that could be converted to storing my top, back, and sides sets the way Michael does. I now have a new project.

Another method I've seen uses bins on the floor against the wall that hold the tops, back and sides sets standing on end. Sort of like the bins in record stores that hold LPs but deeper. That setup makes it easy to access individual sets and to browse through them like you would with records in bins.

These users thanked the author J De Rocher for the post: bcombs510 (Sat Mar 19, 2022 8:37 pm)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 7:07 pm 
Koa
Koa

Yours looks a lot like mine. I'm sure it could be done better in my case, but I haven't found that way yet.

Dave

These users thanked the author ballbanjos for the post: bcombs510 (Sat Mar 19, 2022 8:37 pm)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 8:41 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Michaeldc wrote:
Hi Brad,

Here is a pic of my old shop wood storage. My new shop storage is identical only there’s more of it.

Best, M

Thanks, Michael.

Are this about 24” or so deep? Do I see sides on the far right sticking out about 10-12”?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:52 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Michael
Last Name: Colbert
City: Anacortes
State: WA
bcombs510 wrote:
Michaeldc wrote:
Hi Brad,

Best, M

Thanks, Michael.

Are this about 24” or so deep? Do I see sides on the far right sticking out about 10-12”?

I’m away from home so I’m guessing here. I think they are 25-1/2” )makes it work well with 24”OC joist spacing) and the verticals are about 10” tall - efficient use of a common 8’ pine 1x4. I think they are also held about 3-4” off of the wall so a 32” side kinda centers out. Obviously this will be impacted by joist spacing and joist direction.

Cheers, M

These users thanked the author Michaeldc for the post: bcombs510 (Sun Mar 20, 2022 1:07 pm)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 2:03 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Ed
Last Name: Bond
City: Vancouver
Here’s my rack. I have tons of other wood just sitting in bins, but, as their use date comes up, I put them in this rack in the RH room. Usually there for at least a few months before use.

For back and sides, I don’t worry about RH to start. What’s the diff if you’re spraying it down and heating it the 300 anyway?

That said, once the frame is made (blocks are stored in RH before use), it’s stored in the mold in one of these slots for min 72hrs…Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author meddlingfool for the post (total 2): WudWerkr (Wed May 25, 2022 9:51 am) • Pmaj7 (Mon May 23, 2022 7:45 pm)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 2:28 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Don
Last Name: Parker
City: Charleston
State: West Virginia
Zip/Postal Code: 25314
When I get bothered by the inadequacy of my guitar wood storage system (i.e., marked, but otherwise just piled on shelves), I remind myself that every photo I have ever seen of the wood storage at any guitar factory show that they just stack it up flat. Sometimes stickered, sometimes not. It was like that when I toured the Martin factory pre-Covid. So, I put this on my procrastination-tolerant list of things to improve.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:09 pm 
Koa
Koa

Ed's rack looks really nice. Maybe I can get mine to that point some day, but I'm still in the process of moving the rest of my wood out of a storage unit in Tennessee up to my shop in NC. I had a lot of wood there, and have gradually been making room for it in my current shop. Maybe after it's all moved, I can do something as nice as Ed's. For now, just getting it out of a storage unit and back into controlled environment will have to do. Anything that I'm actually working with has been sitting in the climate controlled shop for at least a year, and was well seasoned before that. But much as I hate it, being tidy and well organized have never been my fortes....

Dave

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 6:23 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Ok, Michael, I stole your design! Here is where I landed. I beefed up the frame with 2x4’s and put 3/4” plywood underneath. I now have 2x8’ of go-bar area. I added a 72” wide base cabinet for storage. Turned out nice I think. Appreciate the input folks!

These users thanked the author bcombs510 for the post: Michaeldc (Mon May 23, 2022 8:30 pm)

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 9:50 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Big
Last Name: Jim
State: Deep in the heart of Bluegrass
bcombs510 wrote:
Hi folks,

I’m stuck waiting for some finishing supplies to show up so I’m cleaning up the shop. I’ve been collecting some more wood recently and have overrun my shelf from harbor freight. This setup is not very good anyway because it’s hard to get the sets out.

Anyone care to share how they store wood and / or how I could improve the storage situation? I really only have this corner of the room to work with. The humidity controlled space is fairly small and separate from the rest of my shop.

Any ideas?

Brad

Mine looks just like yours except i have 2 sets of shelves full ! LOL

Forgiveness is the ability to accept an apology that you will probably NEVER GET
The truth will set you free , But FIRST, it will probably Piss you Off !
Creativity is allowing yourself to make Mistakes, Art is knowing which ones to Keep !
The Saddest thing anyone can do , is push a Loyal Person to the point that they Dont Care Anymore
Never met a STRONG person who had an EASY past !
http://wiksnwudwerks.blogspot.com/
http://www.facebook.com/groups/GatewayA ... rAssembly/

These users thanked the author WudWerkr for the post: bcombs510 (Wed May 25, 2022 12:20 pm)

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 8:00 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I store mine in rafters in the ceiling. THe stuff that needs long term drying is in garage spaces.

How many guitar's worth do y'all hold on too? I think I have about roughly 75 guitar sets.Seeing that I sell 6 per year and acquire even more as time goes on it's a net gain for whoever will inherit this stuff :D

These users thanked the author jfmckenna for the post: bcombs510 (Wed May 25, 2022 9:02 pm)

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 12:36 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Big
Last Name: Jim
State: Deep in the heart of Bluegrass
jfmckenna wrote:
I store mine in rafters in the ceiling. THe stuff that needs long term drying is in garage spaces.

How many guitar's worth do y'all hold on too? I think I have about roughly 75 guitar sets.Seeing that I sell 6 per year and acquire even more as time goes on it's a net gain for whoever will inherit this stuff :D

About 30 guitars worth bliss

Forgiveness is the ability to accept an apology that you will probably NEVER GET
The truth will set you free , But FIRST, it will probably Piss you Off !
Creativity is allowing yourself to make Mistakes, Art is knowing which ones to Keep !
The Saddest thing anyone can do , is push a Loyal Person to the point that they Dont Care Anymore
Never met a STRONG person who had an EASY past !
http://wiksnwudwerks.blogspot.com/
http://www.facebook.com/groups/GatewayA ... rAssembly/

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 1:36 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Don
Last Name: Parker
City: Charleston
State: West Virginia
Zip/Postal Code: 25314
In the 30-35 range. I don't have room for any more than that.