Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:19 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Jay
Last Name: De Rocher
City: Bothell
State: Washington
For anyone who needs to make a side template that includes the correct side profile either because plans aren't available or you build instruments of your own design, here's a way to do that if you have an outside mold for the instrument you're building and a radius dish for the back radius. This may be old news to many folks here, but maybe it'll be a new tip for someone.

Run a piece of tape along the inside of the body mold from one end to the other. Scribe a line on the tape by sliding a pencil mounted in a carrier along the surface of the radius dish while keeping the pencil in contact with the tape. Keep the pencil level while sliding the carrier to get the most accurate line on the tape. Mark the centerline of the body at each end of the tape. The pencil carrier in the photo below is just a random piece of scrap wood that I drilled a hole through to hold the pencil.

Attachment:
Making sIde template with profile 1.jpg

Remove the tape and transfer it to your material of choice for the template (I use poster board). Locate the tape on the material taking into account the taper of the guitar body from the tail to the neck (body depth at each end). Then cut along the scribed line. The shape of that edge of the template will be very close to the final side profile. When I cut a side accurately along that line, it makes driving of the bus to get to the final profile pretty fast.

Attachment:
Making sIde template with profile 2.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

These users thanked the author J De Rocher for the post (total 7): Michaeldc (Thu Jun 29, 2023 8:52 pm) • Durero (Tue Oct 11, 2022 1:26 pm) • Aaron O (Tue Oct 11, 2022 11:24 am) • Terence Kennedy (Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:12 am) • bcombs510 (Tue Oct 11, 2022 6:06 am) • stumblin (Tue Oct 11, 2022 5:38 am) • Hesh (Tue Oct 11, 2022 1:43 am)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 3:11 am 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
J De Rocher wrote:
For anyone who needs to make a side template that includes the correct side profile either because plans aren't available or you build instruments of your own design, here's a way to do that if you have an outside mold for the instrument you're building and a radius dish for the back radius. This may be old news to many folks here, but maybe it'll be a new tip for someone.

Run a piece of tape along the inside of the body mold from one end to the other. Scribe a line on the tape by sliding a pencil mounted in a carrier along the surface of the radius dish while keeping the pencil in contact with the tape. Keep the pencil level while sliding the carrier to get the most accurate line on the tape. Mark the centerline of the body at each end of the tape. The pencil carrier in the photo below is just a random piece of scrap wood that I drilled a hole through to hold the pencil.

Attachment:
Making sIde template with profile 1.jpg

Remove the tape and transfer it to your material of choice for the template (I use poster board). Locate the tape on the material taking into account the taper of the guitar body from the tail to the neck (body depth at each end). Then cut along the scribed line. The shape of that edge of the template will be very close to the final side profile. When I cut a side accurately along that line, it makes driving of the bus to get to the final profile pretty fast.

Attachment:
Making sIde template with profile 2.jpg

Great stuff Jay and thanks for posting this. My generation of the OLF before you got this idea from who posted it for us and that was Colin Symonds the crusty :) old OLFer who did historical restoration work for some pretty notable museums and he was a scholar and scientist of "crusty" structures. Colin was here in the 2005 - 2010 era and a huge contributor to this forum.

If you see this Colin please say hello we miss you!!

Thanks Jay!!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 6:18 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Pat
Last Name: Foster
State: Eastern WA
Focus: Build
A rubber band around the two arms of a cam clamp makes them easier to handle. Placement can be done one-handed.

Attachment:
DSC08695.jpeg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

These users thanked the author burbank for the post (total 3): joshnothing (Tue May 16, 2023 9:18 pm) • Robbie_McD (Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:14 am) • Hesh (Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:26 am)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 1:40 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Since I am currently French Polishing a few guitars I'm reminded of this tip for the French Polishers, two tips actually, so I thought of this thread. Tip 1, use a brush (after sealing any binding wood that might bleed) to brush on the 1st 3 coats then sand back flat. Tip 2, clean the brush in a little jar with alcohol and after 3 coats you have a nice jar of thinned shellac for final glazing.

I like Hake brushes. After trying several different kinds of brushes including some very expensive ones I have found these to be the best AND they are cheap:

https://www.dickblick.com/products/yasu ... ake-brush/

Now that I think of it tip #3, One problem with Hake brushes is that they lose bristle hairs easily. You obviously don't want those in your finish! So take some thin CA and inject it into the base of the brush so that it locks all the bristles in.

These users thanked the author jfmckenna for the post (total 7): Bryan Bear (Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:52 pm) • Kbore (Mon Jul 24, 2023 4:34 pm) • Hesh (Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:26 pm) • SteveSmith (Tue Apr 25, 2023 4:04 pm) • Pat Foster (Tue Apr 25, 2023 3:33 pm) • Chris Pile (Tue Apr 25, 2023 2:30 pm) • Durero (Tue Apr 25, 2023 2:19 pm)

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 11:23 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Josh
Nothing sets off the old carpal tunnel like a week of bracing repair - elbow deep in a soundhole, wrist cocked at an extreme angle trying to manipulate some tool to clean old glue out from under a brace.

Sometimes working from outside with bent probes and a mirror is a good solution. But it can be a little slow and cumbersome.

Faced with another late 60s J45 that had popped most of its soundboard bracing, it occurred to me to grab a feeler gauge, a finger pick and my soldering iron and make this:

For braces I can reach with my hand, this thing has about halved my old-crud-removal time and makes the whole process very comfortable as I’m not needing to grip anything, I can sand under a brace simply by wiggling a finger or rocking my wrist.

I’m calling it The Fingsander. With luck this will launch a lucrative toolmaking career :D

These users thanked the author joshnothing for the post (total 11): Pat Foster (Thu Jul 06, 2023 5:13 pm) • Michaeldc (Thu Jun 29, 2023 8:53 pm) • Durero (Thu Jun 29, 2023 5:42 pm) • rbuddy (Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:14 am) • Barry Daniels (Wed May 17, 2023 7:49 am) • Clay S. (Wed May 17, 2023 7:38 am) • Terence Kennedy (Wed May 17, 2023 7:36 am) • SteveSmith (Wed May 17, 2023 6:56 am) • Colin North (Wed May 17, 2023 3:03 am) • Chris Pile (Wed May 17, 2023 12:02 am) and one more user

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 12:03 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Chris
Last Name: Pile
City: Wichita
State: Kansas
Focus: Repair
^^^ That is GENIUS, Josh! ^^^

I'll bet a broken hacksaw blade would work for filing certain areas, too. (defanged, of course)

These users thanked the author Chris Pile for the post (total 2): joshnothing (Wed May 17, 2023 4:45 pm) • berberiv (Wed May 17, 2023 5:52 am)

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 7:42 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

joshnothing wrote:
Nothing sets off the old carpal tunnel like a week of bracing repair - elbow deep in a soundhole, wrist cocked at an extreme angle trying to manipulate some tool to clean old glue out from under a brace.

Sometimes working from outside with bent probes and a mirror is a good solution. But it can be a little slow and cumbersome.

Faced with another late 60s J45 that had popped most of its soundboard bracing, it occurred to me to grab a feeler gauge, a finger pick and my soldering iron and make this:

For braces I can reach with my hand, this thing has about halved my old-crud-removal time and makes the whole process very comfortable as I’m not needing to grip anything, I can sand under a brace simply by wiggling a finger or rocking my wrist.

I’m calling it The Fingsander. With luck this will launch a lucrative toolmaking career :D

For those you can't reach by hand you can stick sandpaper on the spring steel strapping they band pallets with and reach in through the soundhole with them.

These users thanked the author Clay S. for the post (total 2): Hesh (Wed May 17, 2023 10:48 am) • Chris Pile (Wed May 17, 2023 9:03 am)

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 8:03 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Oh snap! I love that one.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 8:27 am 
Koa
Koa

Chris Pile wrote:
^^^ That is GENIUS, Josh! ^^^

I'll bet a broken hacksaw blade would work for filing certain areas, too. (defanged, of course)

Thanks Chris, I think it would too. I’ve got a box where I keep scraps of old flexible Japanese saw plates and I think some of those may be repurposed also. Some of these Gibsons have huge gobs of squeezeout along each brace that needs to be hacked out of the way before you can get access to clean and reglue ‘em.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:53 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Brian
City: U.P.
Lots of good info being shared on fret filing, crowning and end treatments.

I use the usual variety and expect to make some of the Collins/Hesh file "handles".

What I found helps me a ton with fret end dressing, balling, or easing edges, is a handle on files of a different kind.

File tangs are left soft so you can bend them to get your hand out of the way.

My best improvement was making handles with a flat registered to the safe part of the file.

It is a huge aid in keeping the safe edge where you want it and the sharp edges where you need them.

My hand tells me file position without having to take my eye off the job.

The "round" handle was a ball shaped drawer pull modified on a belt sander.

They improved my fret end treatment and file control a bunch.

Wouldn't be without the StuMac slotted fingerboard protectors.

Attachment:
Fret Files2.jpg

These users thanked the author rbuddy for the post (total 3): Kbore (Mon Jul 24, 2023 4:37 pm) • Hesh (Fri Jun 30, 2023 4:39 am) • SteveSmith (Thu Jun 29, 2023 6:22 pm)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 3:43 pm 
Koa
Koa

Thanks for all the great tips guys!

These users thanked the author charliewood for the post (total 2): Pat Foster (Thu Jul 06, 2023 5:14 pm) • Hesh (Fri Jun 30, 2023 4:38 am)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 6:50 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Pierre
Last Name: Castonguay
City: Québec, Qc
joshnothing wrote:

Josh, this is the best I've seen yet for reaching unreachable braces. I owe you a couple of pints. An old saw blade is good, but this is great. Thanks.

Pierre
Guitares Torvisse

These users thanked the author Smylight for the post (total 2): Hesh (Fri Jun 30, 2023 4:40 am) • joshnothing (Thu Jun 29, 2023 8:42 pm)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 8:34 pm 
Koa
Koa

You’re welcome Pierre, I hadn’t had a good idea for around a decade so I was due! Happy fingsanding :D

These users thanked the author joshnothing for the post (total 3): Hesh (Fri Jun 30, 2023 4:40 am) • Michaeldc (Thu Jun 29, 2023 8:53 pm) • Smylight (Thu Jun 29, 2023 8:41 pm)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 4:38 am 

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
charliewood wrote:

Hey buddy welcome back I hope you are doing great!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 5:05 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I tried out my fret board clamping caul today. I have been wrapping the fret board with cord and have had great results, but cleaning the glue squeeze out was difficult, with the cord wrapped on it. It took quite a bit of work to remove hardened glue after removing the cord.

I installed a new Martin 2-way truss rod in this neck, which involved removing the fret board and re-installing it. I drill with 1/16" bits at the 2nd on 10th fret before removing the board, and then use the bits as index pins, when re-installing. The board came of with the binding intact and went back on, with almost no signs that it had been removed. The new caul is 1/4" hardwood cut to the same shape as the fret board, with 1/2" hard foam strips, cut from the trusty old Harbor Freight foot pad. I glued full thickness strips along the edge, and a little thinner strip down the center. If I need the center taller, I can shim it with strips of tape or thin wood veneer strips. The glue clean up is a breeze, even with the Quick Grip clamps on it.
Attachment:
IMG_0777.jpg
Attachment:
IMG_0776.jpg

Last edited by guitarjtb on Wed Jul 12, 2023 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

These users thanked the author guitarjtb for the post (total 3): Hesh (Fri Jul 07, 2023 3:57 am) • bcombs510 (Thu Jul 06, 2023 5:26 pm) • joshnothing (Thu Jul 06, 2023 5:12 pm)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 5:28 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

joshnothing wrote:

Sooooo, that's what those things are for. I have had some in my pick tray for years and never knew what to use them for. Let me know when the IPO is coming on the tool making business.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 7:33 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Pat
Last Name: Foster
charliewood wrote:

Wow! Charlie, good to see you post. Hope you're doing well.

http://www.patfosterguitars.com

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 3:12 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: colin
Last Name: north
Can be a bit of a time saver - got bored waiting for my bending iron to reach a good surface temperature, so I made a "top hat" from 4 loose wraps of wrinkled alufoil as insulation for initial heating.

Catgut is an abbreviation of the word cattle gut. Gut strings are made from sheep or goat intestines, in the past even from horse, mule or donkey intestines.

Otherwise it could be from the word kitgut or kitstring. Kit meant fiddle, not kitten.

These users thanked the author Colin North for the post (total 3): Kbore (Mon Jul 24, 2023 4:39 pm) • joshnothing (Fri Jul 07, 2023 5:20 am) • Hesh (Fri Jul 07, 2023 3:57 am)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 5:21 am 
Koa
Koa

Great idea. I have been known to point a propane torch at the top of mine for a head start :D

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 6:02 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Dennis
Last Name: Kincheloe
City: Kansas City
State: MO
joshnothing wrote:
Great idea. I have been known to point a propane torch at the top of mine for a head start :D

lol, and I heat my hide glue water in a pan on the kitchen stove (gas) before pouring it into the glue pot.

I'll try the aluminum foil next time I need to bend something. It's like a space blanket for the iron :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 8:35 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

DennisK wrote:
and I heat my hide glue water in a pan on the kitchen stove (gas) before pouring it into the glue pot.

You mean people sometimes don't?? :lol:

Catgut is an abbreviation of the word cattle gut. Gut strings are made from sheep or goat intestines, in the past even from horse, mule or donkey intestines.

Otherwise it could be from the word kitgut or kitstring. Kit meant fiddle, not kitten.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 3:42 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

City: Lenoir City
State: TN
Zip/Postal Code: 37772
Colin North wrote:
DennisK wrote:
and I heat my hide glue water in a pan on the kitchen stove (gas) before pouring it into the glue pot.

You mean people sometimes don't?? :lol:

Not me (I use a microwave -ha).

Steve

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2023 5:45 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Actually I use my electric kettle....

These users thanked the author Colin North for the post (total 2): joshnothing (Sat Jul 08, 2023 8:00 am) • SteveSmith (Sat Jul 08, 2023 7:02 am)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 5:39 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Brad
Last Name: Combs
This is the most satisfying scrap plywood thingy. I saw this from Beau Hannam on Instagram but was probably around before then. Rectangle with a hole = no more wobbly router when notching the lining.

Brad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

These users thanked the author bcombs510 for the post (total 6): Kbore (Mon Jul 24, 2023 4:40 pm) • Colin North (Fri Jul 21, 2023 12:01 pm) • joshnothing (Wed Jul 19, 2023 9:28 pm) • Robbie_McD (Wed Jul 19, 2023 8:04 pm) • Chris Pile (Wed Jul 19, 2023 6:18 pm) • doncaparker (Wed Jul 19, 2023 5:41 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 9:29 pm 
Koa
Koa

Great, now I have to buy ANOTHER laminate trimmer :D

These users thanked the author joshnothing for the post: bcombs510 (Wed Jul 19, 2023 9:34 pm)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next