Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:24 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Pat
Last Name: Foster
Focus: Build
I got about a dozen SM large and small cam clamps in a big lot buy. The shaft has serrated edges; they drive me nuts when releasing them, often requiring tapping to get them to let go. Has anybody modified them to remove this "feature"?

http://www.patfosterguitars.com

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:12 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Bob
Last Name: Gramann
City: Fredericksburg
State: VA
Zip/Postal Code: 22408
Attachment:
B574D51F-D3AD-4AE7-BBCC-88D8BFAFA8D0.jpeg
The last time I bought clamps from them was a few years ago. You can see the shaft in the photo. These haven’t caused me any issues. Like you say, when it doesn’t release, a tap on the heel of the moveable jaw frees it. I have clamps from other sources that behave the same. Even the Klemsia clamps stick occasionally.

StewMac will readily take them back. But then, you won’t have them.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

These users thanked the author bobgramann for the post: Pat Foster (Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:21 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:30 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Josh
I’ve had stuck-on-arrival cam clamps from SM, Dubuque, Klemmsia and Lie Nielsen. Both serrated and non-serrated bars. It’s frustrating but I find once they’ve been used a few times they wear in and tend to stop sticking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author joshnothing for the post: Pat Foster (Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:21 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:58 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Jay
Last Name: De Rocher
City: Bothell
State: Washington
I have cam clamps from StewMac and another brand. Some clamps of each brand tend to lock and not want to release. The shafts of both brands have those serrations. I don't know if the resistance to releasing I see is the same problem you're seeing, but maybe this would work for your clamps too. I put my thumb on the back end of the lower jaw of a locked clamp like in the photo and press down with the tip of my thumb on the top edge of the lower jaw in the direction of the end of the shaft. That releases them easily with no tapping needed.

Attachment:
IMG_9737.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

These users thanked the author J De Rocher for the post: Pat Foster (Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:21 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:35 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Dennis
Last Name: Kincheloe
City: Kansas City
State: MO
Bob's photo looks the same as my Miro Moose cam clamps. They can be a little sticky, especially the deep reach ones, but it does decrease with use. My small ones have more trouble with slipping, after 12 years of heavy use. I've filed the serrations deeper a couple times before, and I think they're due for another tune-up. Cleaning off the grunge also helps, so perhaps rubbing wax or something on the serrations to gum them up would reduce the sticking :)

And as Jay says, pull the jaws apart behind the bar to release. Avoid squeezing it tightly together back there unless you need maximum clamping pressure and are willing to accept the struggle getting it back off.

These users thanked the author DennisK for the post: Pat Foster (Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:22 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:55 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Big
Last Name: Jim
State: Deep in the heart of Bluegrass
Pat Foster wrote:
I got about a dozen SM large and small cam clamps in a big lot buy. The shaft has serrated edges; they drive me nuts when releasing them, often requiring tapping to get them to let go. Has anybody modified them to remove this "feature"?

They will wear in a bit , Look at it from the other side. NOT wanting to hold is a way bigger frusteration gaah

Forgiveness is the ability to accept an apology that you will probably NEVER GET
The truth will set you free , But FIRST, it will probably Piss you Off !
Creativity is allowing yourself to make Mistakes, Art is knowing which ones to Keep !
The Saddest thing anyone can do , is push a Loyal Person to the point that they Dont Care Anymore
Never met a STRONG person who had an EASY past !
http://wiksnwudwerks.blogspot.com/
http://www.facebook.com/groups/GatewayA ... rAssembly/

These users thanked the author WudWerkr for the post: Pat Foster (Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:22 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:18 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

All the clamps in the lot I bought about 8 years ago were well used. The non-SM clamps are sometimes a bit sticky when releasing but never need tapping, but the SM clamps it seems are sticky every time. I haven't had any problems with slipping. I'm thinking the relationship in the locations of the two pins on the sliding jaw might be a factor there. Looking at it with force vector geometry (or is that trig?), it would seem the closer they are together, the less likely they are to slip, and possibly more likely to stick. More to think about.

Thanks for the feedback.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:30 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Barry
Last Name: Daniels
I made my first cam clamps in 1976 using the Irving Sloane book and they don't have serrations. Never had slipping problems. I think the serrations may be an over-engineering thing.

These users thanked the author Barry Daniels for the post: Pat Foster (Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:23 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:17 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Big
Last Name: Jim
State: Deep in the heart of Bluegrass
Pat Foster wrote:
All the clamps in the lot I bought about 8 years ago were well used. The non-SM clamps are sometimes a bit sticky when releasing but never need tapping, but the SM clamps it seems are sticky every time. I haven't had any problems with slipping. I'm thinking the relationship in the locations of the two pins on the sliding jaw might be a factor there. Looking at it with force vector geometry (or is that trig?), it would seem the closer they are together, the less likely they are to slip, and possibly more likely to stick. More to think about.

Thanks for the feedback.

misread the orig thought they were newer clamps Sorry

Forgiveness is the ability to accept an apology that you will probably NEVER GET
The truth will set you free , But FIRST, it will probably Piss you Off !
Creativity is allowing yourself to make Mistakes, Art is knowing which ones to Keep !
The Saddest thing anyone can do , is push a Loyal Person to the point that they Dont Care Anymore
Never met a STRONG person who had an EASY past !
http://wiksnwudwerks.blogspot.com/
http://www.facebook.com/groups/GatewayA ... rAssembly/

These users thanked the author WudWerkr for the post: Pat Foster (Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:23 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:30 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Barry Daniels wrote:
I made my first cam clamps in 1976 using the Irving Sloane book and they don't have serrations. Never had slipping problems. I think the serrations may be an over-engineering thing.

If that was the Sloan repair book, maybe I'll dig that out to see where the two rolled pins are located.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:43 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Barry
Last Name: Daniels
It was the "How to build a Steel String Guitar" book.

These users thanked the author Barry Daniels for the post: Pat Foster (Wed Jun 15, 2022 4:10 pm)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:15 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

One of my pet peeves, for years, was a cam clamp getting stuck closed, when I hung it on the clamp rack. I would get my large screw driver and insert it in the little gap on the back side of the bar. I would twist the screw driver, and the cam clamp would pop open. Worked great. Then someone on this forum posted a hint that this could be avoided by raising the cam lever before closing the clamp. One of those "Duh, I can't believe I didn't think of that" moments". I still use the screw driver method, when I forget to raise the lever.

These users thanked the author guitarjtb for the post: Pat Foster (Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:36 am)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:36 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Don
Last Name: Parker
City: Charleston
State: West Virginia
Zip/Postal Code: 25314
I store mine by clamping them onto pieces of 3/4” plywood screwed to a plywood wall on my clamp cart. They don’t get stuck closed that way.

These users thanked the author doncaparker for the post: Pat Foster (Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:36 am)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:42 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

I made some of mine around the same time as Barry. Most of them have aluminum shafts and sometimes do get jammed. I also needed to make up some extras in a hurry and used birch for the jaws and hard maple shafts. The all wood ones never seem to jam. I was a little concerned about how durable they would be, but they're holding up just fine.

These users thanked the author bftobin for the post: Pat Foster (Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:15 am)