Walnut

First name: Michael
Last Name: Bell
City: Ashburton
State: Canterbury
Zip/Postal Code: 7775
Focus: Build
Hi there,
So I am wondering if anyone could let me know where I can get a good diamond gloss spray finish similar to what Ryan or Taylor guitars use but NOT UV cured? As I don't have that equipment!
All the spray painters here all seem super busy and not that interested but I have a fellow builder who has a booth and equipment, I live in New Zealand
Cheers

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Post subject: Re: Diamond gloss finish
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:26 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Ed
Last Name: Bond
City: Vancouver
You might want to try asking at ANZLF since you’re there…

Post subject: Diamond gloss finish
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:41 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Tim
Last Name: Mullin
City: Shefford
State: QC
Zip/Postal Code: J2M 1R5
Kia Ora!
The high gloss product commonly used by kiwi builders is Mirocat PC3220. It’s a single-pack precat polyester. You can contact Mirotone ([url]mirotone.co.NZ[/url]).There are several resellers or you can buy direct from the warehouses in Seaview, Lower Hutt (less than 15 minutes from where I lived in Korokoro), East Tamaki or Christchurch.

And my friend Meddlingfool is quite right, you should look at joining at [url]anzlf.com[/url]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author Tim Mullin for the post: Mikeson1510 (Tue Jul 05, 2022 5:00 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 5:02 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

First name: Michael
Last Name: Bell
City: Ashburton
State: Canterbury
Zip/Postal Code: 7775
Tim Mullin wrote:
Kia Ora!
The high gloss product commonly used by kiwi builders is Mirocat PC3220. It’s a single-pack precat polyester. You can contact Mirotone ([url]mirotone.co.NZ[/url]).There are several resellers or you can buy direct from the warehouses in Seaview, Lower Hutt (less than 15 minutes from where I lived in Korokoro), East Tamaki or Christchurch.

And my friend Meddlingfool is quite right, you should look at joining at [url]anzlf.com[/url]

That's awesome thanks for your help guys much appreciated [THUMBS UP SIGN]....I have now asked to join anzlf so that will help with any nz questions!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:07 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Tim
Last Name: Mullin
City: Shefford
State: QC
Zip/Postal Code: J2M 1R5
Mikeson1510 wrote:
Tim Mullin wrote:
Kia Ora!

That's awesome thanks for your help guys much appreciated [THUMBS UP SIGN]....I have now asked to join anzlf so that will help with any nz questions!

One pointer with Mirocat: if you ask Mirotone for a suitable thinner, they will likely point you to the standard Medium Mirosol. I found that on a guitars and especially with humid conditions, you’re better off using the “slow” Mirosol 1242. Some builders use up to 50%, although the usual recommended is 20-30%. No other additives or retarders should be required. The Mirocat builds faster than the nitrocellulose lacquers popular in North America (a good thing), but otherwise can be handled exactly the same way.

The Mirotone warehouse can also help out with professional amounts of 3M sandpapers, paint filters, etc. Very helpful.

These users thanked the author Tim Mullin for the post: Mikeson1510 (Mon Jul 11, 2022 3:08 am)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 2:29 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Josh
Mirocat is also popular over here (Australia) with many small and medium builders, and even the biggest name in the game, and it looks good and is easy to get on nice and thin. From my perspective as a repair guy I think it’s one of the weaker finishes I regularly encounter and, especially in its semi-gloss / satin incarnations, is prone to all kinds of blemishing that I don’t see on the finishes used by other big name manufacturers. I fully understand this a controversial opinion to hold over here as the product has many fans :D

The other local option, at least in Australia, is Durobond lacquer, which is a traditional nitro formulated for guitars. It is highly regarded and used by some well known and respected builders. But I have no idea if Durobond will ship it to NZ. Ditto for the local Australian distributor of Mohawk nitro.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author joshnothing for the post: Mikeson1510 (Mon Jul 11, 2022 3:08 am)