Koa
Koa

First name: Mark
Last Name: McLean
City: Sydney
State: New South Wales
Zip/Postal Code: 2145
Focus: Build
That does look like a very useful beast. Is it yours? What is the reach between the chuck and that post? It is much better than mine and would probably get around that problem with the Safe-T planer quite nicely!

But anyway - Colleen, back to your build. Any further progress? It feels like it might be rosette making time soon.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 11:40 pm 
Mahogany
Mahogany

First name: Colleen
Last Name: McTigue
City: St. Catharines
State: Ontario
Yes, I should get to the rosette soon. I’ve been distracted by writing an opera. Seriously. In my other life I’m a musician and composer. Planning to apply for a grant from the Canada Council for the Arts next year to do a recording with a live orchestra. But I should make time for the build again very soon.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 2:34 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Mark
Last Name: McLean
City: Sydney
State: New South Wales
Zip/Postal Code: 2145
Writing an opera! Wow, that sounds impressive. Music and libretto? An opera about guitar building could be great. It could have drama, pathos, a hero luthier and her love interest (a famous musician needing a special magical instrument), and a villain (I haven't worked that character out yet). You could workshop the story line here at the OLF.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 2:54 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Don
Last Name: Parker
City: Charleston
State: West Virginia
Zip/Postal Code: 25314
Villain? Guitar Center. It practically writes itself . . .

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 5:49 pm 
Mahogany
Mahogany

First name: Colleen
Last Name: McTigue
City: St. Catharines
State: Ontario
Mark Mc wrote:
Writing an opera! Wow, that sounds impressive. Music and libretto? An opera about guitar building could be great. It could have drama, pathos, a hero luthier and her love interest (a famous musician needing a special magical instrument), and a villain (I haven't worked that character out yet). You could workshop the story line here at the OLF.

Unfortunately, not a luthier story, lol. Although I did come up with a story idea about a luthier with a dark secret; he boils bones for nuts and saddles, and sells blanks online, but the bones are human bones… he’s secretly a serial killer.

No, my opera is based on my life as a transgender woman growing up in an unaccepting and unforgiving world. And yes, music and libretto.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 1:34 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

With the radial press Colleen shows the horizontal tube moves in and out so the drill head will move out past the table and can also be turned to do horizontal boring or angle boring. I've never measured the travel on the one I have, but I'm guessing it would be about a foot and a half from chuck to column when extended.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 4:44 am 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
Colleen_M wrote:
Mark Mc wrote:

Unfortunately, not a luthier story, lol. Although I did come up with a story idea about a luthier with a dark secret; he boils bones for nuts and saddles, and sells blanks online, but the bones are human bones… he’s secretly a serial killer.

No, my opera is based on my life as a transgender woman growing up in an unaccepting and unforgiving world. And yes, music and libretto.

Ever see The Red Violin.... Another story about using human parts for Lutherie.

We own a busy repair shop so I have to disclaim that no humans were harmed in posting this post and we only use free ranging cows that do yoga for nuts and saddles, their bones are denser. :)