Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: David
Last Name: Foster
City: Napa
State: CA
Zip/Postal Code: 94558
Focus: Build
I need to get a new Dust collector what is everyones favorite or best? Im only looking for a smaller unit. I don't need a 3 phase monster. Been looking at the powermatic and jet stuff.

Last edited by dofthesea on Thu Sep 08, 2022 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: New Tool Topic
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:20 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Don
Last Name: Parker
City: Charleston
State: West Virginia
Zip/Postal Code: 25314
I really like my ClearVue. It has to be hard wired for 220.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 11:59 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Ed
Last Name: Bond
City: Vancouver
I’ve got a 5hp Oneida that runs on 240. Can’t imagine what I’d need more, other than perhaps to double the number of filters, which presently I don’t have room for.

Mind you, its the only one I’ve had, so not much for comparison. But man it moves air!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:42 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Ed
Last Name: Bond
City: Vancouver
The Oneida Supercell looks intriguing…

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 6:27 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

City: Lenoir City
State: TN
Zip/Postal Code: 37772
Focus: Repair
I really like my Oneida 3hp dust Gorilla. I thought it might be too large for my 15’ x 22’ shop but it has turned out great.

Steve

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 7:34 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

https://www.harborfreight.com/13-gallon ... +collector

A friend of mine uses the small HF dust collectors at each machine. He can usually stick them under a bench or saw table or some other out of the way place. He likes the fact that he doesn't have to run hoses and have a larger motor running all the time.
Personally I use a smaller Bridgewood two bag collector for the larger machines and old domestic type vacuum cleaners that were headed for the skip for the smaller machines. I don't use as much dust collection as I should, and I'm sure there are better ways to do it. I still use a broom and a dustpan for some "dust collection".

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:29 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Michael
Last Name: Colbert
City: Anacortes
State: WA
+1 for the Oneida 3hp dust Gorilla

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:49 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Robert
Last Name: Ionta
City: Hopkinton
State: Massachusetts
Zip/Postal Code: 01748
+1 for the ClearVue. With 6” ducts it moves a lot of air, capturing a lot of the fine dust at the point of its creation, before it gets into the air. But I also run an overhead filter (Wen, looks just like the Jet and all the others and works great). I use the overhead mostly when using hand tools at the bench. The ClearVue probably changes all the air in my small shop (14 x 23) several times per hour so when that’s running the overhead filter is superfluous.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:10 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Michael
Last Name: Colbert
City: Anacortes
State: WA
I was looking at both the Oneida and Clearvue. The clincher for me was having enough ceiling height - I didn’t have it. One thing I did buy from Clearvue was several of their 6”-4” splitters. I’ve had my Oneida for about 10yrs now and it still going strong!

M

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 3:30 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Toonces
Last Name: the Cat
City: New Smyrna Beach
State: FL
I have the SuperCell. I bought it because I don't currently have the space to set up ductwork (I'd have too many elbows and while maybe possible, it would have been a nightmare). With the 4" flexible pipe; however, I can do ductwork. It works well and is extremely well-built but simply doesn't move as much air as a decent 3HP or more dust collector. One nice thing about it is that it has no problem with suction with small diameter hoses. It's a great dust collector for small shops and it does make it easy to run hoses to each machine with blast gates. The only machine I feel it is inadequate for is my wide belt sander. So I simply take more passes and allow a bit of time before making the next pass to help clear the dust circulating in the machine. It would work fine with a drum sander tho'.

Before this I was wheeling a 3hp Oneida and hooking it up to each machine as needed -- this was a PITA and the DC was always in my way but it definitely moved more air.

These users thanked the author Toonces for the post: Burton LeGeyt (Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:40 pm)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:27 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I have a Dust Cobra wich now looks like it has a bigger brother in the supercell. I love it! It is like a Shop-Vac with 2-3x the flow. Works great for planer, jointer, table saw, belt/disc Sander, 14-in bandsaw. Works adequately on the drum sander. Not so much on the resaw, however I think it's mostly because the saw is not sealed up and if I could position the vac nozzle right under the table next to the blade it would probably do much better.

No duct work to worry about, I can use splitters and blast gates or run the 25 ft 2.5" hose anywhere, even out to the car.

Can't find a way to compare specs to the supercell head to head. The dust cobra has a small footprint, fairly quiet and runs on 110, 20 amp.

Pat

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:12 pm 
Koa
Koa

The SuperCell moves twice as much air as the Dust Cobra. I think the Dust Cobra would be fine for small shop tools like miter saws and other bench top tools. The SuperCell is just barely adequate for large stationary tools.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:38 pm 
Koa
Koa

My day job is running a large-ish university shop, we have many Oneida machines.

We use the Dust Cobras as our shop vacs and they are great. Better by far than any other vac we'd previously used, including the nicer Fein vacs. At this point I think we have 6 of them? Some dedicated to specific machines (panel saw, miter saw). We borderline abuse them on occasion and they keep on going. The pull they have when packed completely full, even around the filter, is pretty incredible.

We have 2 (recently purchased) supercells, each dedicated to a Sawstop. My understanding on the supercell is that they are the missing link, so to say, between a shop vac and a dust collector. They'll maximize what is possible from a 4" port, but only one at a time. They really excel at collecting dust when the collection point is well shrouded/defined and the higher air velocity they provide can be utilized fully, i.e to overcome the centrifugal force the spinning blade/belt is using to propel the dust as it is created. For a looser dust shroud they may or may not be better than a larger collector. For anything with a 6" opening, or with multiple open ports, a larger style traditional dust collector that moves a larger volume of air would be better.

We have 2 larger Industrial sized machines, each powering multiple drops off of an 8" main line and servicing multiple machines at the same time. They also work great, I have zero complaints.

At my home guitar shop I have a Delta 1.5hp collector powering a 6" main line with drops to 4" ports on my machines. When I have the money/time I will happily switch over to a single supercell which, with a 4" line, blast gates, and well defined collection shrouds, should be an improvement and easily handle everything I do in my (small) shop with ease. I could also use it as my shop vac and put 2.5" hose drops around the shop, something I wouldn't do with the traditional collector. Having a single machine (as opposed to collector and shop vac), with HEPA filtering and easy bag replacement will be a great upgrade. The self cleaning feature for the filter will also be very welcome.

A woodworker nearby to me who runs a large shared space really likes the Harvey units. I looked at them online, but stayed with Oneida as they have served us very well. I'd be curious, though, to see the Harvey unit in action.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 3:26 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I got the Dust Cobra to use on just a couple machines, but it worked so well on everything else and takes up such a small space and quiet, I got rid of my small dust collector. Note: it is in the outdoor portion of my shop where I can open the windows and garage doors if I'm resawing etc. Also, it gets pretty light use.

It pulls 250 CFM with a 2.5" hose. Looks like the Supercell pulls 350 with a 2.5" and 500 with a 4".

Pat

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 1:04 pm 
Koa
Koa

The Supercell is definitely a good intermediate between vacuum and dust collector. There really isn't anything on the market quite like it and I think it is the ideal collector for one or two car garage shops.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 1:34 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Barry
Last Name: Daniels
It's certainly not intermediate in price.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 2:52 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: john
Last Name: hall
City: Hegins
State: pa
Zip/Postal Code: 17938
oneida for me
great product

Co President of ASIA
You Don't know what you don't know until you know it

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 6:39 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

bluescreek wrote:
oneida for me
great product

Supercell or Cobra??

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 8:10 am 
Mahogany
Mahogany

First name: Colleen
Last Name: McTigue
City: St. Catharines
State: Ontario
I’m definitely not in the same league, lol. My dust collection is a small shop vac…

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 8:17 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: David
Last Name: Foster
City: Napa
State: CA
Zip/Postal Code: 94558
Colleen everyone including my self started with a shop vac.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:08 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Mike
Last Name: O'Melia
City: Huntsville
State: Alabama
My main work area is 24x24, an 8x24 room in back can house the DC. Or maybe outside? I do not run more than one tool at a time, largest tool port is 4". Trying to understand why I would need a Gorilla over the mini-Gorilla. Mike

Post subject: New Tool Topic
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:11 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Just wanted to share this as well. This is the route I’m heading down. I’ve had the Dust Rite in a box for about a year but don’t have it setup yet (not quite at that phase of my garage plan and no pressing need).

Colleen, I’ve been using my shop vac for about 29 years. :D

https://youtu.be/HCkaYQWlkE0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:42 pm 
Koa
Koa

Mike, if you run a dust collector outside then that is BY FAR the best and cheapest method available ... period !!!

The problem is make-up air. Places like California would probably be ideal but I'm not sure about Alabama. But if you can vent outside then you can just get an impeller that moves the CFM you want and maybe connect to a cyclone without a filter. If I could, that is what I would do.

Colleen ... you can definitely get by without having a super expensive dust collector ... but make sure your air quality is good. You can ensure good air quality by just wearing a respirator when you are making dust and ensuring that your shop space stays really clean. There are many aspects of guitar building that don't put dust into the air if you are using hand tools. In fact, that is one excellent advantage of using hand tools over power tools !!!
But note that a few thousand dollars for a DC will be significantly cheaper than potential health issues from breathing dust. So just be careful and think through your process. The same goes for the rest of you ... Bill Pentz's website is very much worth reading. I think most of you know about the dangers of wood dust but please read up on it if you are unfamiliar.

** I will likely be moving in the next year and will probably sell my Supercell. If anybody might be interested in it, send me an email and I'll notify you if I sell it. It will be in like new condition. info@fayguitars.com I'm gonna take a loss on it and would rather it go to a fellow builder.

Very nice setup, Michael C !!!