It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 5:26 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

meddlingfool wrote:
I think the problems with Royal Lac are basically in the past. Lots of people are using it with great success.

To this I'll add that my good friend Don is the only person I know of who had issues with RL. Unfortunately it was catastrophic and cost him the guitar. This was the very first formulation for spraying in I want to say 2015 or so. I used the original formula in a french polishing course around the same time and haven't had any problems with the guitar to this day.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 6:23 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Don
Last Name: Parker
City: Charleston
State: West Virginia
Zip/Postal Code: 25314
Focus: Build
I haven’t had any Royal Lac problems (I’m a different Don from the one James is referencing). I French polished one with original formula RL a few years ago, and I recently sprayed one with RL post cat. I think the spray version of the original formula stumbled at one point, and some folks got burned, but that is all in the past. The original formula works fine, and RL post cat is very nice.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 6:29 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Bob
Last Name: Russell
State: Michigan USA
Focus: Repair
@Bryan Bear, It may be as Ed posted, something with the earlier product, but I have a tendency to shy away from products that have reported problems. My former life was auto body paint. I learned early on to stick to mainstream products have stuck to that concept ever since.

Clay S. wrote:
Hi Rob,
Although I would suggest applying one coat that is heavy enough to sand and buff, epoxy can be recoated without sanding if the next coat is applied before the first is fully cured. Whether it will show witness lines when done this way I don't know. It would certainly be worth testing if you are inclined to use epoxy as a top coat.
Here is some information about using epoxy as a barrier coat (again, directed at the boat trade):
https://www.westsystem.com/instruction- ... r-coating/

Thanks for the link Clay Ill check it out, I would think the big issue would be trying to repair it as a finish, that is why I have stuck to lacquer and french polishing.

Interesting concept though.

Cheers,
Bob

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 6:47 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Ed
Last Name: Bond
City: Vancouver
FWIW, after leaving the leftover 50/50 blend overnight in the mixing cup, by morning it was an opaque white foam like substance.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 6:38 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Josh
When I used Zpoxy, and thinned it with alcohol for a wash coat, leftovers in the cup would cure to a very rubbery solid.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 9:06 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

RusRob wrote:
Thanks for the info Clay,

I thought it may have been a viable option, but if thin coats show witness lines it wouldn't be much use as a FP type finish.

My go to finish is nitro, but have done the last 2 French Polishing with shellac and have had very good results. Thought about Royal Lac but have read too many "issues" about it.

Too bad, I was getting excited about the idea. I may still do some experiments on scrap to see what I can do with it.

Thanks,
Bob

I have about 5 guitars out there done in Royal Lac going on about 5 years now and so far no problems that I know of. I have one hanging in my shop for a demo guitar that is about 2 years old and it still looks good. It definitely takes a bit more abuse then regular shellac but is still a very thin transparent finish. I still FP the old way but as I move forward I like RL more and more, I just wish it was a bit less expensive.

BTW I pad RL on just like FP technique. Most of the issues I have heard here and on other forums was in spraying it on and I do believe those problems have been solved too.

These users thanked the author jfmckenna for the post: RusRob (Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:04 am)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:50 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

City: Lenoir City
State: TN
Zip/Postal Code: 37772
The biggest issue early on was with spraying. Some of us, I was one, did not allow sufficient cure time between coats. As a result the finish crazed over time. We worked with Vijay and solved the problem. I would not worry about spraying but I have changed to doing Royal Lac FP like JF and have had no problems - oldest one is from 2015.

These users thanked the author SteveSmith for the post: RusRob (Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:03 am)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:29 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Bob
Last Name: Russell
State: Michigan USA
@jfmckenna and @SteveSmith

Thanks for that info guys, I did read the early posts about the problems with RL and that is what I based my decision on not to even try it. I confess... after reading about the problems I pretty much wrote RL off.

As I said I pretty much stick to tried and true methods of finishing since I don't want to have to deal with problems. But I have always experimented with new and different products, just not on anything I care about or a commission. Where my doubts come in is what happens years from now, and I have seen many products fail in the auto finishing industry. The biggest fail I have see was back in the early 70's someone came up with a new sealer that was suppose to end the confusion about what sealer to choose for what paint. Guys were jumping on the bandwagon and using it on everything. But about a year down the road all these guys that used it started getting come-backs with the paint coming off in sheets! I cant think how many guys asked me what I did to make the sealer stick. I told them I never used it. :) (commissioned painters don't get paid for re-do's)

I may give RL a try on something I don't care about and see how it works. I like the idea it is about 1/2 way between Lacquer and Shellac. But will still probably stick with what I know works.

Thanks again for the info guys,
Cheers,
Bob

These users thanked the author RusRob for the post: SteveSmith (Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:19 pm)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:37 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Jay
Last Name: De Rocher
City: Bothell
State: Washington
meddlingfool wrote:
FWIW, after leaving the leftover 50/50 blend overnight in the mixing cup, by morning it was an opaque white foam like substance.

Which epoxy did this happen with? Like joshnothing mentioned, when I've let the diluted epoxy sit overnight, it turned to a rubbery solid. If the epoxy was zpoxy and the temperature overnight was below 70 degrees (F), that might explain what you saw.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 1:07 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

West 105 with 207 hardener…everclear dilution…

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 2:40 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

RusRob wrote:
@jfmckenna and @SteveSmith

Thanks for that info guys, I did read the early posts about the problems with RL and that is what I based my decision on not to even try it. I confess... after reading about the problems I pretty much wrote RL off.

As I said I pretty much stick to tried and true methods of finishing since I don't want to have to deal with problems. But I have always experimented with new and different products, just not on anything I care about or a commission. Where my doubts come in is what happens years from now, and I have seen many products fail in the auto finishing industry. The biggest fail I have see was back in the early 70's someone came up with a new sealer that was suppose to end the confusion about what sealer to choose for what paint. Guys were jumping on the bandwagon and using it on everything. But about a year down the road all these guys that used it started getting come-backs with the paint coming off in sheets! I cant think how many guys asked me what I did to make the sealer stick. I told them I never used it. :) (commissioned painters don't get paid for re-do's)

I may give RL a try on something I don't care about and see how it works. I like the idea it is about 1/2 way between Lacquer and Shellac. But will still probably stick with what I know works.

Thanks again for the info guys,
Cheers,
Bob

I hear ya. It's not time tested and proven. I had that experience when I jumped on the water base stuff in the 90's. A client came back with a guitar many years later b/c the bridge lifted and I was absolutely shocked at how awful the finish was. I was actually surprided that he didn't care much about it. In fact when this guy took deliver of the guitar he sold his Koa Taylor because he liked it so much. So I guess that has something to do with it.

These users thanked the author jfmckenna for the post: RusRob (Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:03 am)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:52 pm 
Koa
Koa

When I’ve done it I use VERY little epoxy and alcohol. I tend to use everclear for everyTHING haha. I use a paper towel that is lent free… some sort of aerospace stuff. Works great. I just go in strait lines fly on and off…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 3:38 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I just had a buddy from Alberta bring me 2 bottles of Everclear. Here in BC the government has seen fit to protect us from it…

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:08 pm 
Koa
Koa

meddlingfool wrote:
I just had a buddy from Alberta bring me 2 bottles of Everclear. Here in BC the government has seen fit to protect us from it…

I wouldn’t personally recommend drinking it haha… MAAAAN! That said… it will clean most anything ha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:29 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

It is for shellac…he says.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 3:25 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Tom
Last Name: Rein
City: Saline
State: Michigan
Just curious if you can get the 190 proof Everclear in Canada? I would think 151 proof is more likely.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 4:42 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Yup, 190 out of Alberta…