Koa
Koa

First name: Michael
Last Name: Colbert
City: Anacortes
State: WA
Focus: Build
meddlingfool wrote:
Ever heard the trick where instead of flush cutting the excess, you route a channel lesser in all dimensions than your bindings? That way you don’t have to deal with sanding the endgrain which makes life just a touch more bearable. Fairing the sides is almost my least enjoyed task…

Yes, I learned it from you [:Y:]

Thanks!

These users thanked the author Michaeldc for the post: bcombs510 (Tue Jan 10, 2023 4:22 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 4:25 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Brad
Last Name: Combs
meddlingfool wrote:
Ever heard the trick where instead of flush cutting the excess, you route a channel lesser in all dimensions than your bindings? That way you don’t have to deal with sanding the endgrain which makes life just a touch more bearable. Fairing the sides is almost my least enjoyed task…

I learned this tip from you as well. The first time I used it I was sanding with Elevate’s rolling pin and was amazed at how fast and easy it went compared to earlier instruments. That telltale sign of the two lines on the sanding drum where it’s wearing itself out against the plates was gone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

These users thanked the author bcombs510 for the post: Michaeldc (Tue Jan 10, 2023 4:57 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 5:43 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Ed
Last Name: Bond
City: Vancouver
I learned it from someone here who learned it from Mario P, lol…

These users thanked the author meddlingfool for the post (total 2): Robbie_McD (Sun Jan 15, 2023 7:54 am) • Michaeldc (Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:16 pm)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:52 pm 
Koa
Koa

Well….I chickened out on using my new Elevate binding jig and instead used my SM binding setup. As I was practicing with the Elevate jig, I kept lifting the guitar body off of the back guide. You only have to lift it one time to mess up. Hmmm…

M

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by Michaeldc on Fri Jan 13, 2023 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

These users thanked the author Michaeldc for the post (total 4): Pmaj7 (Fri Jan 13, 2023 5:43 pm) • Durero (Fri Jan 13, 2023 5:09 pm) • J De Rocher (Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:04 pm) • bcombs510 (Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:45 pm)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 5:47 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Yeah, it seems like a precarious way to do it, but people who use that style jig love them!

The only professionals that I know who make a lot of guitars use something of a similar design. They don't even use the side register. They just register the top and back on the flat plate next to the bit and do it very carefully and quickly. Not sure if they do a climb cut first or not.

Pat

These users thanked the author Pmaj7 for the post: Michaeldc (Fri Jan 13, 2023 5:51 pm)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 3:01 pm 
Koa
Koa

Figured I’d rough-in the neck this morning. Next up, the heel cap and headstock back veneer.

Getting close, M

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

These users thanked the author Michaeldc for the post (total 2): Durero (Sat Jan 21, 2023 1:01 pm) • Pmaj7 (Mon Jan 16, 2023 3:25 pm)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 3:26 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Why the extra little caul at the top of the fretboard?

Pat

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 3:43 pm 
Koa
Koa

Pmaj7 wrote:

Pat

Second try: In that it’s a fan-fret and the FB is angled, I held the aluminum caul back a bit so I could clear squeeze out from the nut slot and applied the little cork caul to the end of the FB to make sure it was down all the way.

M

Last edited by Michaeldc on Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

These users thanked the author Michaeldc for the post: Pmaj7 (Wed Jan 18, 2023 2:02 am)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:52 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Michaeldc wrote:
Well….I chickened out on using my new Elevate binding jig and instead used my SM binding setup. As I was practicing with the Elevate jig, I kept lifting the guitar body off of the back guide. You only have to lift it one time to mess up. Hmmm…

M

I had similar concerns about the Elevate but had a kid spend some time in my shop and he worked two years in the Santa Cruz binding department. He said they used a jig similar to the Elevate to rout the binding accepting the fact that there could be some minor scalloping. Then they routed the purfling channel with a tower type jig which was totally dependable for accuracy.

Made sense but I have not tried that approach yet.

These users thanked the author Terence Kennedy for the post (total 2): Pmaj7 (Wed Jan 18, 2023 2:05 am) • Michaeldc (Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:04 pm)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:08 pm 
Koa
Koa

Terence Kennedy wrote:
Michaeldc wrote:

M

I had similar concerns about the Elevate but had a kid spend some time in my shop and he worked two years in the Santa Cruz binding department. He said they used a jig similar to the Elevate to rout the binding accepting the fact that there could be some minor scalloping. Then they routed the purfling channel with a tower type jig which was totally dependable for accuracy.

Made sense but I have not tried that approach yet.

Now that does make sense!

Maybe after practicing only cutting the binding ledge you would gain confidence with the Elevate unit and be able to cut both -

Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:13 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

City: Lenoir City
State: TN
Zip/Postal Code: 37772
Focus: Repair
I had the same concerns but I just went for it. So far I've used my Elevate binding jig on three guitars. I'm pretty steady but not perfect and have had slight lifting as I went around; it doesn't seem to have mattered much and I didn't notice any fit issues when I installed the binding and purfling. I have previously used a tower and cradle jig with bearing bits.

Last edited by SteveSmith on Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

These users thanked the author SteveSmith for the post (total 2): Pmaj7 (Wed Jan 18, 2023 2:06 am) • Michaeldc (Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:46 pm)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:26 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Barry
Last Name: Daniels
Pmaj7 wrote:

Pat

I use similar separate cauls when I want to ensure that a critical joint needs to be really tight, like the end of the fretboard.

These users thanked the author Barry Daniels for the post (total 2): Pmaj7 (Wed Jan 18, 2023 2:07 am) • Michaeldc (Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:46 pm)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:11 pm 
Koa
Koa

Well that’s pretty much that about that - I need to install some frets and then spend several hours sanding and refining before sending it off to finish. The client was down for a shop-visit yesterday and is pretty excited!

M

These users thanked the author Michaeldc for the post (total 4): Hesh (Sat Feb 11, 2023 3:29 am) • Durero (Sat Jan 21, 2023 1:04 pm) • Robbie_McD (Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:12 am) • bcombs510 (Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:48 am)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:38 pm 
Koa
Koa

Michaeldc wrote:
Well that’s pretty much that about that - I need to install some frets and then spend several hours sanding and refining before sending it off to finish. The client was down for a shop-visit yesterday and is pretty excited!

M

Very nice Michael. The inlay reminds me of some done by a local luthier here named Judy Threet using a lot of alternative to shell materials.

These users thanked the author Darrel Friesen for the post: Michaeldc (Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:56 am)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 1:57 pm 
Koa
Koa

Darrel Friesen wrote:
Michaeldc wrote:

M

Very nice Michael. The inlay reminds me of some done by a local luthier here named Judy Threet using a lot of alternative to shell materials.

I finally got a chance to check out her work - Gorgeous!

Thanks, M

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 4:03 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Mike
Last Name: Tracz
Michael,

Your work, process, and outcome are beyond inspiring. Thank you for sharing!!!

_Mike

https://www.youtube.com/mustcreatethings

These users thanked the author mtracz for the post: Michaeldc (Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:42 pm)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 3:30 am 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
Beautiful Michael a real stunner!!! Love the shop pics and it's spotless too :)

These users thanked the author Hesh for the post: Michaeldc (Sat Feb 11, 2023 5:21 am)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 11:12 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

This is looking fantastic Michael. A lot of nice design and artwork in this one.

I made my own 'Elevate' jig and I have found it to be rather full proof so far as to making mistakes. Knock on wood. I don't think it matters that you lift the guitar off the back or angle it or anything. It's only going to cut as deep as you set it.

These users thanked the author jfmckenna for the post (total 2): Pmaj7 (Sat Feb 11, 2023 11:39 pm) • Michaeldc (Sat Feb 11, 2023 2:48 pm)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 3:26 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Nice work! Really tasteful without crossing the line into gaudy country :)

These users thanked the author Terence Kennedy for the post: Michaeldc (Sat Feb 11, 2023 3:27 pm)