Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

Post subject: Blast from 2008
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:00 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Steve
Last Name: Courtright
Focus: Build
The "Midwest Chapter" of the OLF used to get together in the Chicago area about annually. Held at member homes, storefronts, and then at John Watkins place in the 'burbs, I remember lots of lovely guitars, giveaways, workshops (once John demonstrated making a nearly finished neck from a blank with a sanding block in about one minute), and friendly storytelling. Music, too!!

Here are some of the fellows that showed up in 2008. I have shared shop space with some, tonewood with others, and lots of shared experiences. I recognize Joe White, Kevin Mason, John Watkins, Steven Wheeler. Maybe others will be able to ID the remaining fellows.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

These users thanked the author SteveCourtright for the post: Pmaj7 (Fri Jan 20, 2023 4:31 pm)

Post subject: Re: Blast from 2008
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:42 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Ed
Last Name: Bond
City: Vancouver
Sure like to hear about the one minute neckā€¦

These users thanked the author meddlingfool for the post (total 4): Bryan Bear (Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:24 pm) • Chris Pile (Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:20 pm) • Durero (Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:17 pm) • Pmaj7 (Fri Jan 20, 2023 4:31 pm)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:15 pm 
Koa
Koa

Good stuff! I'd be interested in knowing how one could carve a neck in one minute with a sanding block as well. :) I do recall Jean Larivee claiming he could rough one out in 45 seconds with a drawknife.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:48 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Hey Steve,
How's it going?

John Ressler is there. In fact every time someone posts a picture from a gathering, John is there.
Ed Lysne and our gracious host Doug Mills. I recognize the guy on the far right but can't attach a name.

These users thanked the author StevenWheeler for the post: SteveCourtright (Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:23 pm)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:53 am 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
:D :D :D Thanks for posting this Steve I'm grinning like an idiot seeing our old friends. I recognize about half of them. John Watkins always looks so serious too :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:33 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Steve
Last Name: Courtright
From what I can recall, the neck blank had been roughed out on a bandsaw with a line drawn from a template, and the blank was essentially rectangular in cross section, with the heel and the head generally defined by the saw. John wrapped a sheet of coarse sandpaper around a rectangular and flat wood block, about 10 inches long. He started aggressively knocking the corners off of the middle of the blank and worked circumferentially and then longitudinally to the ends of the functional part of the neck to define the rounded shape and in moments had a pretty good looking neck. Obviously, some time would have to be spent defining the heel properly and the transition to the head but he clearly had done it a bunch of times and therefore it was not much fussing to get it maybe 90% there... I wish I could explain more, but I can't do it myself!!

These users thanked the author SteveCourtright for the post: Pmaj7 (Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:41 pm)