Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:56 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Ed
Last Name: Bond
City: Vancouver
Focus: Build
Protocol when dealing with engelmann, particularly engelmann from a new supplier, is to do a bit of slicey dicey with a chisel to have a gander at the runout situation.

But, in a hurry to put together a dealer guitar in my ‘evenings and weekends’ schedule, I missed that step. I had the top glued on and was ready for binding when I remembered I’d missed a step. So I grabbed and off cut and had at it.

Hmm, I thought to myself. That can’t be right. I grabbed the other wing. Please tell me that’s not right. I grabbed the soundhole cutout. Dang, I guess that’s right. Off came the top.

3A just ain’t what it used to be, lol!

These users thanked the author meddlingfool for the post: Pmaj7 (Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:48 pm)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:16 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Holly shmolie! Dang! That's impressive.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:29 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

City: Lenoir City
State: TN
Zip/Postal Code: 37772
Focus: Repair
That sucks. Had some ebony binding do that to me a few weeks back.

Steve

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:10 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

At least it was consistent! laughing6-hehe ( gaah ) It looks like it might run from 5:1 to 10:1. With Engelmann I check both edges of the soundboard and join the edge with the least runout. A sound board like that one I would use for a pickin' stick or some such cheap and cheerful instrument - one with a "floating bridge" like an archtop uses. Aside from the Harlequin effect it may have worked O.K. for an instrument with a non-glued down bridge.
Because Engelmann are generally smaller trees and often grow with a twist it can be hard to find tops with uniformly consistent runout from edge to edge. I suspect that if that top had been sawn properly it may have been a very nice top. Too bad!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:26 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Michael
Last Name: Colbert
City: Anacortes
State: WA
Dang, sorry!!

The color difference at the center seam is a dead giveaway that there is a ton of runout in that top… Hope it doesn’t take to long to get back on track -

Best, M

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:34 pm 
Mahogany
Mahogany

First name: Josh
Last Name: French
City: Houston
State: TX
This is exactly what I meant in the BRW thread about suppliers basing their grading on player's criteria rather than maker's. That is one gorgeous, yet completely useless top.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:44 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Yup!

These users thanked the author meddlingfool for the post: jfmckenna (Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:22 pm)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:43 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Aaron
Last Name: Hix
City: Chatsworth
State: Georgia
Zip/Postal Code: 30705
That is the result of a log being sawn into tops, instead of tops being cut from split billets.

These users thanked the author A.Hix for the post (total 2): phavriluk (Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:30 am) • Robbie_McD (Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:51 am)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:09 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Yup! Never seen it that bad before…

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:25 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

A.Hix wrote:
That is the result of a log being sawn into tops, instead of tops being cut from split billets.

Yeah what a terrible waste of wood and time. The entire batch is totally worthless. Ed I think most of us here would be interested to know who that 'new supplier' is. I know it can create a s@$T storm online but perhaps by PM or subtle hints. I guess it's also possible the supplier got duped by the sawmill too. In any case they should not be in the tonewood business selling junk wood like that.

These users thanked the author jfmckenna for the post (total 2): Pmaj7 (Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:43 pm) • Michaeldc (Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:27 pm)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:09 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Hmm…perhaps ‘new supplier’ was misleading. This is stuff I’ve had for some time, but is the first time I’ve used wood from that batch from that supplier, now defunct. I hardly ever use engelmann…so to be clear, you won’t be getting any wood from them.

These users thanked the author meddlingfool for the post (total 4): Pmaj7 (Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:44 pm) • Durero (Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:06 pm) • jfmckenna (Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:17 am) • Michaeldc (Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:36 pm)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:20 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

jfmckenna wrote:
A.Hix wrote:

Yeah what a terrible waste of wood and time. The entire batch is totally worthless. Ed I think most of us here would be interested to know who that 'new supplier' is. I know it can create a s@$T storm online but perhaps by PM or subtle hints. I guess it's also possible the supplier got duped by the sawmill too. In any case they should not be in the tonewood business selling junk wood like that.

Actually there are probably a few good tops in the "entire batch", just not nearly as many as there could have been. I have also bought some 3A tops with terrible runout - perfectly vertical and even grain, paper white with beautiful "silking", and terrible runout. Thankfully they have been the few rather than the many.
They can make very good sounding instruments, and sometimes hold up surprisingly well. We are told there is a risk they won't hold a bridge, and of course the harlequin effect from book matching tells the buyer - run(out)!
With such even grain one would be tempted to do a "slip match" and hide the offending runout. Not all instruments require runout free wood and with the proper mitigation a fair amount of runout can be tolerated. But since we can be choosey, why not use the best material available? There are plenty of "A" grade tops with good stiffness and little runout. bliss

These users thanked the author Clay S. for the post: Pmaj7 (Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:45 pm)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:06 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I’m not afraid of a little runout and I was even tempted to push through just to see, but…that was too much.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:43 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

meddlingfool wrote:
I’m not afraid of a little runout and I was even tempted to push through just to see, but…that was too much.

That much runout would be readily apparent, and even - if - it sounded great and held up fine, there would be "experts" critical of it. Not worth the risk for a professional builder.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:07 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Exactly why I lopped it off…

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:49 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Michael
Last Name: Colbert
City: Anacortes
State: WA
I had never heard of “The harlequin effect” makes perfect sense. I’ve always referred to it as chatoyance.

Cool, M

These users thanked the author Michaeldc for the post: Pmaj7 (Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:45 pm)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:22 am 
Walnut
Walnut

First name: gary
Last Name: davis
City: BILLINGS
State: Montana
Zip/Postal Code: 59105
Someone please explain to me the runout issue here. My neophyte eyes ain't seeing it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:22 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Yeah I don't mind a bit of runout either but that's like 30 degrees!

I have noticed a particular kind of runout that seems to be prevalent in Carpathian Spruce for some reason. IDK if this is what you refer to as the 'harlequin' look but I have resorted to calling it BMW runout. If you know what the auto manufacturers logo BMW looks like then you would know what I mean. It's not a full left right panel color change but rather the top of the left half is dark, the bottom of the left half is white, the top of the right half is white and the bottom of the right half is dark.

Ever seen that before?

I actually think it looks cool but had to do a retop on one b/c the guy didn't like it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:24 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Gary Davis wrote:
Someone please explain to me the runout issue here. My neophyte eyes ain't seeing it.

Check out Frank's piece about it.

http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/General ... unout.html

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:56 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Brad
Last Name: Combs
I have a few harlequin tops like this. I bought them awhile back from a luthier closing shop. I repurposed them for uke tops. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

These users thanked the author bcombs510 for the post: Durero (Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:14 pm)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:30 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

jfmckenna wrote:

I have noticed a particular kind of runout that seems to be prevalent in Carpathian Spruce for some reason. IDK if this is what you refer to as the 'harlequin' look but I have resorted to calling it BMW runout. If you know what the auto manufacturers logo BMW looks like then you would know what I mean. It's not a full left right panel color change but rather the top of the left half is dark, the bottom of the left half is white, the top of the right half is white and the bottom of the right half is dark.

Ever seen that before?

I actually think it looks cool but had to do a retop on one b/c the guy didn't like it.

Runout can change from one end of the top to the other and that will cause the BMW effect. You can think of it as a "very wide curl" . When the curls are tighter they become more visible as in curly redwood or curly maple. Because you are book matching the top the chatoyance effect creates that look.
I call the chatoyance change from one side of the top to the other as the Harlequin effect, but the BMW effect certainly fits that description also. Generally speaking the more visible the effect the worse the runout is. Still I think "runout" is oversold as a defect. It certainly is something to be avoided when it becomes extreme, but there have been many great sounding guitars that have noticeable runout in their tops.

These users thanked the author Clay S. for the post (total 3): Durero (Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:15 pm) • Michaeldc (Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:46 am) • bcombs510 (Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:33 am)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 4:02 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Aaron
Last Name: Hix
City: Chatsworth
State: Georgia
Zip/Postal Code: 30705
jfmckenna wrote:

Ever seen that before?

What you are describing here is the type of runout that occurs when the tree has grown in a spiral. It's when the grain runs sort of like the twist of a drill bit. Then when sawn into tops, it has runout that swaps pattern from one end of the top to the other.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 4:29 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Thanks for explaining that and I totally get it. Thinking of it as a wide curl totally makes sense. and yeah I can visualize the spiral too.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:53 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Anybody have a good trick for testing this sans breaking the wood? I've heard some people say examini the edge grain very closely. I've tried that but seems kind of vague. Might be because I haven't seen extreme run out tho. Maybe putting the two sides together and splashing it with naphtha and looking for color difference?

I had one guitar way back that was engelman with extreme Harlequin effect, sounded great and held up well...

Pat

These users thanked the author Pmaj7 for the post: Mark Mc (Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:24 am)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:26 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Bob
Last Name: Gramann
City: Fredericksburg
State: VA
Zip/Postal Code: 22408
When I have a piece where runout is in question, I cut off a strip where it win’t be missed and split it. Sometimes, it’s real obvious without splitting it, but sometimes, it isn’t.