Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:17 pm 
Koa
Koa

Just wondering how others do this. I used to use athletic tape and TB3 to glue purflings to bindings prior to bending. I then built a jig I've seen before that uses a 6" x 36" or so piece of plywood and two 2" x 36" x 1/4" strips screwed flat on to the 6" x 36" piece and then sliding a long wedge to capture the binding and purfling between tightly for the whole length similarly to how Eric Schaefer does it. https://youtu.be/HKfjlCJDMNI I know I can buy binding already done this way but it's nice to have other options. Anybody else doing anything differently?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:32 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

City: Lenoir City
State: TN
Zip/Postal Code: 37772
Focus: Repair
I saw somebody use binder clips years ago so that's the way I do it. Works fine. I'm using TB3.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TQ8FDB8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:51 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Bryan
Last Name: Bear
City: St. Louis
State: Mo
Focus: Build
I glue with TB3. But I make up a lot of binding with the side purflings/veneers glued on before I rip it into binding strips. That makes it pretty easy to clamp up.

Take care of your feet, and your feet will take care of you.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:56 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Ken
Last Name: Lewis
City: Mt. Pearl
State: NL
I usually start with a 1/4" by 3 1/2 " or so binding stock and glue the black and white veneer sheets, clamp up, dry and then rip up
into ready to go binding/purfs strips. A few times for example when I needed curly Koa and all I had was the bare individual Koa 1/4"
strips I wrangled the bindings and purf lines together while installing on the body. Adding in a couple top purfs slowed me down a little
but not a big deal as I recall. Many, I'm sure do glue the lines to individual bindings so I guess we'll hear from them.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:10 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I should have noted I use the binding clamps when I’m adding purfling to individual binding strips.

If I have a larger piece of wood then I laminate BWB (or whatever) veneers and slice it up.

Steve

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:37 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Ed
Last Name: Bond
City: Vancouver
I do the binder clips too. Bindings need to be at .090 or thicker else they won’t grab. TB3 as well.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:14 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Same as Ed, binder clips, TB3, and sand to final thickness on the thickness sander.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:23 pm 
Koa
Koa

I have a whack of binder clips so may do that as well to speed things up. Not that speedy is what I'm after. Just looking for ease and efficiency.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:42 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: David
Last Name: Foster
City: Napa
State: CA
Zip/Postal Code: 94558
I learned this from Charles Fox. Glue up the binding and purpling. I typically order purfling layed up like BWB at .010-.010-.010 . Insert into vise and clamp it relatively tight for 2 seconds the and move down and get the next section and so forth. Works pretty good. Not all the time the times it doesn't work I use binder clips

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:00 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Michael
Last Name: Colbert
City: Anacortes
State: WA
+1 for binding clips. In that I roll my own bindings and purflings, I thickness my binding to about .100” so I can run them through the time saver after glueing on the purflings. I usually end up at about .220” x .082”, and I use TB3 for these operations. I got tired of storebought purflings coming apart during bending.

M

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:41 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Pat
Last Name: Foster
I used the binder clips for a while, then switched to aluminum angle from the local Ace Hardware. A coat of carnuba on the appropriate surfaces makes it easier to separate everything.

Attachment:
DSC07022.jpeg

Attachment:
DSC07024.jpeg

On the rare occasions when I really have all my ducks in a row, I'll glue strips of purfling to a stick of binding wood of the desired height, maybe 2 or 3 inches wide, rip enough binding strips for a couple of guitars, and run them through the thickness sander.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

http://www.patfosterguitars.com

These users thanked the author Pat Foster for the post (total 4): Aaron O (Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:03 am) • James Orr (Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:43 pm) • Bryan Bear (Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:37 am) • TimAllen (Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:15 am)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:44 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

dofthesea wrote:
I learned this from Charles Fox. Glue up the binding and purpling. I typically order purfling layed up like BWB at .010-.010-.010 . Insert into vise and clamp it relatively tight for 2 seconds the and move down and get the next section and so forth. Works pretty good. Not all the time the times it doesn't work I use binder clips
Using ca?

Most recently I used the stew Mac binding laminator (designed for plastic bindings and acetone) and used it with wood bindings and super glue. Worked a treat! Bindings were .09. That might have been a Morelli hack.

Pat

Last edited by Pmaj7 on Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:14 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Michaeldc wrote:
+1 for binding clips. In that I roll my own bindings and purflings, I thickness my binding to about .100” so I can run them through the time saver after glueing on the purflings. I usually end up at about .220” x .082”, and I use TB3 for these operations. I got tired of storebought purflings coming apart during bending.

M

Youse has a Timesaver?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:10 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Howard
Last Name: Wilson
State: Virginia
Also used the clips and TB3. Accidentally grabbed Original TB and glued up a set--bent fine without delamination.

These users thanked the author Doc for the post: Pmaj7 (Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:30 am)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:13 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

FWIW is used to use TB OG until I learned TB3 was better, with no problems…

These users thanked the author meddlingfool for the post: Pmaj7 (Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:25 pm)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:35 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I have a longer piece of UHMW that adhesives won’t stick to. I use that as my gluing surface. I use TB3 and kerfing clamps from Advanced Shell Tech to slowly glue the purfling along the strip of binding. It’s mind-numbing but effective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:40 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Freeman
Last Name: Keller
I do not glue purfling to binding. Instead I carefully fit all of the pieces without any glue into the channel, tape them perfectly in place, tack them with tiny drops of CA, pull the tape and flood the seam with CA. That lets me use different heights of binding and purfling and works nicely with pearl, herring bone, et al. I do this whether I'm binding body or necks or heads or anything else.

Attachment:
IMG_7124-1.jpg

Attachment:
IMG_7125-1.jpg

Another nice thing about doing it this way is it lets the purfling pieces slipe relative to each other so they don't bind.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

These users thanked the author Freeman for the post: Pmaj7 (Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:21 pm)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:52 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Freeman, I am (and I think most of us are) talking about putting purfling on the bottom or narrow edge of the binding, not the inside purfling on top/bottom. That way the purfling and binding can be bent to shape at the same time. I do top/bottom purfling the same way you do.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:09 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Freeman
Last Name: Keller
I thought that. I usually buy wood binding that way. The couple of times I've done it with plastic I did exactly what is shown above. Put all the pieces in the channel dry, futz around until they are perfect, flood with CA. The little purfling lines don't want to bend on their tall axis but with enough effort I've made them work.

I bought one of the StewMac binding laminators and never could make it work. Of course back then I was using acetone based cement, I don't know how it would work with CA.

These users thanked the author Freeman for the post: SteveSmith (Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:42 pm)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:20 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I initially hoped I'd be able to glue bottom purfling separate because it would be much more efficient time-wise. Unfortunately I absolutely have not been able to do so without kinks.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:13 pm 
Koa
Koa

James Orr wrote:
I initially hoped I'd be able to glue bottom purfling separate because it would be much more efficient time-wise. Unfortunately I absolutely have not been able to do so without kinks.

It works fine with plastic but not so much with wood/fiber purfling. I have done it successfully after soaking it a while first but it's still fidgety.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:41 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Barry
Last Name: Daniels
Freeman wrote:
I thought that. I usually buy wood binding that way. The couple of times I've done it with plastic I did exactly what is shown above. Put all the pieces in the channel dry, futz around until they are perfect, flood with CA. The little purfling lines don't want to bend on their tall axis but with enough effort I've made them work.

I bought one of the StewMac binding laminators and never could make it work. Of course back then I was using acetone based cement, I don't know how it would work with CA.

The laminator works well if using straight acetone as described in the instructions. It adheres the plastic very quickly.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:34 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Jay
Last Name: De Rocher
City: Bothell
State: Washington
James Orr wrote:

Installing the side purfling separate from the binding is my standard approach, mainly because it makes getting nice clean miter joints at the end graft a breeze.

I do two things to prevent kinks in the purfling on tight bends. The wood/fiber purflings I get are typically about 0.100" to 0.110" tall. I found I couldn't get a clean bend without kinks when bending it on edge with it that tall. So, I rip the purfling down to about 0.085" to 0.090" on the bandsaw with a zero clearance insert made from scrap wood. That reduction in size makes it much more flexible for bending it on edge.

Attachment:
Zero clearance support for reducing purfling width.JPG

The second thing I do is to then tightly tape two pieces of the reduced height purfling between two pieces of binding and bend them together. The pieces of tape in the photo are located on in the flatish sections on each side of the waist bend, at the tip of the lower bout, and at the ends. The purflings come out with no kinks.

Attachment:
Bending Binding 1.jpg

These users thanked the author J De Rocher for the post (total 3): James Orr (Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:39 am) • Michaeldc (Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:32 pm) • Pmaj7 (Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:28 pm)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:48 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Pmaj7 wrote:
dofthesea wrote:
Using ca?

Most recently I used the stew Mac binding laminator (designed for plastic bindings and acetone) and used it with wood bindings and super glue. Worked a treat! Bindings were .09. That might have been a Morelli hack.

Pat

That is the way I have been doing it for like 20 years now on the same Stewmac jig.

These users thanked the author jfmckenna for the post (total 2): Pmaj7 (Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:28 pm) • Darrel Friesen (Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:10 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:07 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Aaron
I must be the only dummy using hhg, and plywood strips lined with tape as a gluing jig, similar to Pat’s aluminum (may have to steal that one). And I stack them until all 4 are done in 1 jig. Does it separate on the side bender? Yes, but not much when bent all at once. Plus, it’s hhg, dries right back up.

That was before I started hand bending. Now I prebend the purfling (on the flat plane) and glue all at once, hhg of course.

These users thanked the author Aaron O for the post: doncaparker (Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:23 am)