All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 6:39 pm 
Koa
Koa

State: Texas
Focus: Repair
If this has been shared before then no worries.

Been using this method for over a year now. Works well even on stubborn necks like Guilds with the heavily glued cheeks.

You need two of these
https://www.amazon.com/GOCHANGE-Electri ... s9dHJ1ZQ==

Steps (remove fingerboard extension as per normal operation)
1. Remove fret over dovetail as per normal. Drill 3mm holes as close as possible to dovetail cheeks.
2. Squirt some distilled or de-ionized water into the neck pocket through the holes. Do this 2 or 3 times and let it soak into the joint.
3. Insert both of the cutters with the longest stems into the holes and turn them on. If you had enough water in the joint you should hear a little sizzle but no blasts of steam
4. Let them heat up. Usually I give them 2 to 3 minutes to reach full heat
5. Apply pressure on the heel with your preferred method.
6. Remove neck as normal. If it's stubborn add a little more water to the joint and let it cook

Big note: If removing a neck like a Guild or a Gib make sure to break the glue on the cheeks first.

The advantage with this method is mostly that with no blasting steam present you have no chance of finish damage. Also you don't you don't get steam in your face as you work. Removal time varies depending on what you're doing and what prep work is involved for your particular customer instrument.

They're cheap to replace and frankly last for a while. I have been counting and for the 2 that I purchased for then 25$ each I've accomplished 27 resets with an average of 2-3 a month.

Any questions I'm happy to answer. I've found this to be a real game changer for me in my shop.

These users thanked the author DanKirkland for the post (total 7): Robbie_McD (Thu Feb 23, 2023 8:35 am) • Terence Kennedy (Thu Feb 23, 2023 8:29 am) • joshnothing (Thu Feb 23, 2023 6:41 am) • Hesh (Thu Feb 23, 2023 3:45 am) • Durero (Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:23 pm) • SteveSmith (Wed Feb 22, 2023 8:48 pm) • Pmaj7 (Wed Feb 22, 2023 7:22 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:15 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Bob
Last Name: Gramann
City: Fredericksburg
State: VA
Zip/Postal Code: 22408
Focus: Build
Thank you for the report. It is very encouraging.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 6:44 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Josh
Thanks Dan. I’ve done a few with these too and agree it greatly reduces the risk of collateral damage.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 8:36 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Thanks Dan! For an average joint how long do you usually have to heat?

Is it better to be in the gap or in the actual wood of the dovetail?

Have you ever had a headblock loosen from prolonged heating of a tough removal?

Thanks

Terry

Last edited by Terence Kennedy on Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 8:46 am 
Koa
Koa

Terence Kennedy wrote:
Thanks Dan! For an average joint how long do you usually have to heat?

Is it better to be in the gap or in the actual wood of the dovetail?

Have you ever had a headlock loosen from prolonged heating of a tough removal?

Thanks

Terry

Hey Terry

1. Average heat time is start to finish is 8-15 minutes for a standard Martin neck.

2. You want the cutters as close to the dovetail cheeks as possible but preferably in the gap. It will work in the wood but not as well. They're pretty thin so getting them where you want them is just a matter of drilling accurately.

3. I have never had a head/neckblock loosen from this method

Last edited by DanKirkland on Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

These users thanked the author DanKirkland for the post: Pmaj7 (Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:49 pm)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:08 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Willard
Last Name: Guthrie
City: Cumberland
State: Maryland 21502
Zip/Postal Code: 21502
The statement to break the glue on the cheeks was pretty key to getting minimal finish damage on the neck removal re: some brands.

- As noted, some brands finish with neck on, and that finish acts as an adhesive... when the glue on the mating surfaces of the dovetail has begun to release or shear, that finish layer which bridges the joint can hold up removal.

- Carefully scoring that finish layer over the joint with a very sharp blade results in reduced damage to the finish and earlier separation of the joint.

- When the finish is lacquer, a little lacquer thinner or acetone carefully applied with a micropipette and flowed down the cheek seams softens the lacquer to prevent chip-out during scoring. For poly, not an issue.

-Mark Helprin, The Oceans and the Stars: A Sea Story, A War Story, A Love Story (A Novel)

These users thanked the author Woodie G for the post: Pmaj7 (Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:51 pm)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:38 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Just curious, why distilled or de-ionized water?

Also... Headstock? Head block maybe?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:52 am 
Koa
Koa

jfmckenna wrote:
Just curious, why distilled or de-ionized water?

Also... Headstock? Head block maybe?

Yes my autocorrect doesn't like the word head block so it made it headstock.

The tap water around me for whatever reason leaves black stains on the wood. I've found distilled/de-ionized doesn't do this. If your tap water is good then by all means use it its just something I thought was worth noting.

These users thanked the author DanKirkland for the post (total 3): Robbie_McD (Fri Feb 24, 2023 8:25 am) • Pmaj7 (Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:51 pm) • jfmckenna (Thu Feb 23, 2023 4:04 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:32 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Josh
Chalk up another “W” for the foam cutters. Two 1/16” holes, a tiny squirt of water and 10 minutes in the neck jig. No wriggling, jiggling or risky business required.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author joshnothing for the post (total 5): Durero (Wed Mar 01, 2023 3:18 pm) • Terence Kennedy (Wed Mar 01, 2023 8:49 am) • Michaeldc (Wed Mar 01, 2023 8:42 am) • Robbie_McD (Wed Mar 01, 2023 8:17 am) • Pmaj7 (Wed Mar 01, 2023 3:15 am)