Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 7:10 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Near the end of last month Don Parker made a post about a new work positioning system he acquired. One component of the system was a mounting plate that fixtures could be attached to and could be rotated to allow the work to be held in various orientations. I decided to make something that could be clamped in a versa vice that might give a similar versatility. As is my wont I wanted to use low cost hardware store items and some scrap wood to construct it.
The items I bought were a pipe nipple and flange, what I had on hand was a pipe connector and some multi-ply off fall. Construction was relatively simple and straightforward. The wood block was sized to allow the pipe connector to be tightened against it to keep the mounting plate from rotating when that is desirable, but also be loosened some when rotating the fixture is what is wanted.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

These users thanked the author Clay S. for the post: Colin North (Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:32 am)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:02 am 
Koa
Koa

Clay S. wrote:
Near the end of last month Don Parker made a post about a new work positioning system he acquired. One component of the system was a mounting plate that fixtures could be attached to and could be rotated to allow the work to be held in various orientations. I decided to make something that could be clamped in a versa vice that might give a similar versatility. As is my wont I wanted to use low cost hardware store items and some scrap wood to construct it.
The items I bought were a pipe nipple and flange, what I had on hand was a pipe connector and some multi-ply off fall. Construction was relatively simple and straightforward. The wood block was sized to allow the pipe connector to be tightened against it to keep the mounting plate from rotating when that is desirable, but also be loosened some when rotating the fixture is what is wanted.

That's pretty cool Clay. Looks like a pipe thread protector rather than a coupling. The difference is that a thread protector has straight threads from end to end of the fitting allowing you to thread it on the full length of the tapered pipe thread. A coupling or connector has tapered threads on both ends with a space in the middle of the coupling.

These users thanked the author Darrel Friesen for the post: Clay S. (Sat Mar 04, 2023 11:00 am)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 11:00 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Hi Darrel,
You might be right, I am not that knowledgeable about galvanized/black iron pipe fittings. The fitting appears to have threads all the way through but it will only screw on so far to the pipe nipple, I assumed because the threads on the nipple are only partially cut, but maybe it is because the fitting is a little rusty (note the rust transferred to the pipe nipple in the 1st photo). I will try cleaning it up and see if it will screw on further.
I called the fitting a "connector" because I connect two lengths of pipe together when I need a longer pipe clamp. That is about as much "pipe fitting" as I have ever done. [:Y:]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:52 pm 
Koa
Koa

The thread protectors are handy as they can be used as a nipple chuck in the absence of a real one for making short nipples. More info than you were looking for! :)

These users thanked the author Darrel Friesen for the post: Clay S. (Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:35 am)