Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Tom
Last Name: Armstrong
City: Portsmouth
State: Virginia
Zip/Postal Code: 23701
Focus: Build
While working in my shop earlier today I silently reminisced about past OLF’rs and their contributions to my continued building knowledge I’ve been a member from almost the beginning and remember the days of Billl Moll, Bruce Dickey, “Grumpy”, Don Williams, and even old man Cumpiano gracing us with their experienced knowledge. While not a frequent contributor I do consult the board almost daily looking for new gems.

Then I wondered about Lance. While he used to post (with great pics of his builds btw) even with his covert silence it’s comforting to know he sits in the background taking care of us posters and lurkers.

Thanks Lance.

Tom

These users thanked the author Gasawdust for the post (total 2): James Orr (Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:48 am) • meddlingfool (Thu Mar 09, 2023 6:11 pm)

Post subject: Re: A thank you to Lance
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:12 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Mike/Mikey/Michael/hey you!
Last Name: Collins
City: Argyle
State: New York
Zip/Postal Code: 12809
I agree!!!!!!!!!!
mike

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 2:04 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Chris
Last Name: Pile
City: Wichita
State: Kansas
Focus: Repair
I think the only thing Lance remembers about this place is the check.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:32 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Tom
Last Name: Armstrong
City: Portsmouth
State: Virginia
Zip/Postal Code: 23701
Well Chris,
If you think it’s that lucrative you should try to build your own forum and launch it.
Lance put his heart and soul into this thing and if he makes a buck on it nowadays…….good for him.
Are you sure you aren’t “Grumpy” under another time?
Tom

These users thanked the author Gasawdust for the post: James Orr (Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:49 am)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:08 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

If he cared about his users, he'd be looking in every day to take care of us. He doesn't. At the very least, he could make a regular user a moderator to get rid of spammers, etc. Right now he's like an absentee owner.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:39 am 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
Many folks who were active here back in the beginning have moved on. The list of builders who came and went is many times larger than the list of who's actively posting today.

Things change for folks and they changed for Lance too. If you recall correctly there was a falling out here too between Lance and Brock and that was so very unpleasant for all including all of us who may have purchased something from Brock and had trouble getting him to deliver. Lance was caught up in that too and had that been me I would have shut this place down and walked away thinking who needs this Bull puckie.

So the way to get the most out of the OLF today is to recognize as I do... that the real value here is the on-line community, not Lance or anyone else. I'm here for the very few who I like to hear what they have to say. And they are still saying it when we listen hard enough.

The software is getting long in the tooth, Lance has minimal involvement here now and it's been that way frankly for some years now so nothing has changed. It is what it is and everyone has the ability to vote with your feet and go elsewhere if that suits you. I hope that you stay though there is lots of good here.

But for me as someone who remembers when Lance was actively posting and someone who is friends with Lance the value is still here for those who it's important enough to try to soak up when we see a gem. It's not Lance that I come here for (no offense intended to Lance) it's some of you guys and Chris is one of the ones who I listen to.

The folks like Chris who did this much of their lives and were in the repair trenches decades ago are who I want to have access to and be friends with. I respect you guys more than you know and am very glad that you are here on the OLF.

Thanks

These users thanked the author Hesh for the post (total 6): Smylight (Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:18 am) • Pmaj7 (Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:32 am) • J De Rocher (Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:36 pm) • Chris Pile (Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:42 am) • bcombs510 (Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:47 am) • joshnothing (Sun Mar 12, 2023 5:52 am)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:48 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Brad
Last Name: Combs
I also say thanks to Lance….. but I also asked for some type of admin access so I can fix issues. :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

These users thanked the author bcombs510 for the post (total 3): James Orr (Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:51 am) • Pmaj7 (Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:33 am) • Chris Pile (Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:42 am)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:54 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Don
Last Name: Parker
City: Charleston
State: West Virginia
Zip/Postal Code: 25314
Tip of the hat to Lance for creating the OLF. Well done!

Wag of the finger to Lance for not providing sufficient attention to the OLF in the present. There are definitely problems that need attention, but are not getting it.

Solution: Lance should deputize some people (like Brad) to take care of the present issues.

These users thanked the author doncaparker for the post (total 4): James Orr (Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:51 am) • Pmaj7 (Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:33 am) • J De Rocher (Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:36 pm) • Chris Pile (Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:41 am)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 1:42 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Mike
Last Name: O'Melia
City: Huntsville
State: Alabama
bcombs510 wrote:
I also say thanks to Lance….. but I also asked for some type of admin access so I can fix issues. :D

I would vote for Brad to be an admin. He has the technical chops and the people skills to make it work seamlessly.

As for the "check", I doubt there is much of one. But if there were, Lance would deserve it.

I do agree that the site could use a small amount of updating, but it really isn't broke. Thanks Lance1

Mike

These users thanked the author Mike OMelia for the post: Pmaj7 (Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:33 am)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:17 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Ed
Last Name: Bond
City: Vancouver
I’m with ya there. I don’t find this site in any way lacking, or feel any need for it to be any different, at least not in any way I can imagine. I don’t feel I need Lance’s attention. I’ve never posed a question here that hasn’t been well answered. And if Lance gets a little something at the end of the day, good on him! As long as the lights stay on…

These users thanked the author meddlingfool for the post: Pmaj7 (Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:35 am)

Post subject: A thank you to Lance
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 5:10 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Brad
Last Name: Combs
The only issue I’m aware of at the moment is the email associated with the admin account seems broken. I tried to go through the new account process with a temporary email account and never received the activation email. That means new people can’t make it in. I think it’s the same reason you don’t get an email when you get a PM.

I’m hesitant to post anything on my own social media about the OLF because new users don’t seem to be able to sign up.

Of course that doesn’t affect us, it’s plumbing that doesn’t affect an existing user. :)

Brad

These users thanked the author bcombs510 for the post: Pmaj7 (Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:35 am)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 11:09 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Mike
Last Name: O'Melia
City: Huntsville
State: Alabama
bcombs510 wrote:
The only issue I’m aware of at the moment is the email associated with the admin account seems broken. I tried to go through the new account process with a temporary email account and never received the activation email. That means new people can’t make it in. I think it’s the same reason you don’t get an email when you get a PM.

I’m hesitant to post anything on my own social media about the OLF because new users don’t seem to be able to sign up.

Of course that doesn’t affect us, it’s plumbing that doesn’t affect an existing user. :)

Brad

OK, I recall u bring this issue up before. This would indeed be a bad thing. Lets see what we can do.

<ike

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:02 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

The messaging system isn't working right, either.

These users thanked the author Chris Pile for the post: Hesh (Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:03 pm)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:11 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Jay
Last Name: De Rocher
City: Bothell
State: Washington
Overall, I'm very happy with this forum. It's the best stringed instrument-related forum I've used by a significant margin.

The one complaint I have, which is a minor inconvenience, is that for the last year and a half or so I haven't gotten a single notification of replies to posts or notifications of PMs. I haven't found any setting in the user dashboard that could fix that. Otherwise, I'm good with how the forum works.

These users thanked the author J De Rocher for the post: Hesh (Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:03 pm)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:59 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Barry
Last Name: Daniels
Just a note here; the MIMF is working fine with a new, active and benevolent admin. The only thing we lack over there is active users. The issue most people had with the MIMF that drove them over here in the first place, has been resolved.