Koa
Koa

First name: Willard
Last Name: Guthrie
City: Cumberland
State: Maryland 21502
Zip/Postal Code: 21502
Focus: Repair
I am always learning when in the shop, whether bailing out the boys on overdue repairs or my own efforts. As those that have reached adulthood should know, we tend to learn more from failure than from success, with last weekend and this one seemingly focused on the repair efforts of others. Given I am such a sharing sort of person, I thought I would detail a few of those lessons learned:

What a Relief!

I'd like to highlight the salubrious effect on repair shop bottom lines with a minor investment in truss rod wrenches. These supposedly simple miracles of modern technology are capable of addressing all manner of instrument woes, with modern luthiery training programs apparently focused nearly exclusively on the use of the tool for quick, profitable fixes and invisible repair of in-shop goofs. To mention just a few of the problems which someone handy with a truss-rod wrench may 'repair' in exchange for remuneration:

- A saddle trimmed too low (never by you; always by someone else) may have 15 to 20 thousandths or more of additional height added back with just a twist or three of the wrench

- That quick level/crown/polish that is turning into a marathon match of Marco Polo 'find the next loose or poorly leveled fret' (because that fret survey was perhaps a bit rushed) may be quickly terminated with some judicious use of the magical wrench.

- Setup dragging on? Friday afternoon and alcohol beckoning, as well as the sirens of your local dive bar singing your favorite song? Add some relief and call it done!

Are We Out of Bondo Again?

Another modern miracle of materials science! For any repair where the result will either be hidden under another component (e.g., bridge, fretboard extension, cheap vinyl black peel'n'stick pickguard) or may be safely buried under a few coats of opaque lacquer, Bondo is your time-saving buddy. Yes - it is the very devil to remove down the road, lacks any real tensile strength, and does a poor job of adhering to wood, but the time saved over scarfing in a grain-matched piece of timber or milling spline slots for a neck repair just emphasizes the unacceptable opportunity costs for those making far more money from YouTube repair videos than the actual repairs themselves. Just a few examples:

- Major missing material between tuner holes on a cracked headstock? Why ship it off to Ann Arbor when Bondo and a little black lacquer will do the trick?

- Had a bit more tear-out on that pickguard or bridge removal than expected ("This is hard sometimes, folks... probably why those Martin -authorized shops would not take the job.")? Apply a skim of Bondo, sand level, and glue it back up! Plenty of real wood still there to get it out the door.

Ouch! These Strings Sure Are Sharp!

Another modern technique apparently taught in major luthiery training programs is that a crisp, very sharp edge on the end of the fret encourages players to avoid improper left hand technique. Rather than pander to those that refuse to modify their playing style to avoid bloodshed during play by gently easing the fret ends and a nice polish, the current thinking is that time spent on the finer points of fretwork is once again time wasted. By way of example are the two refrets I had a chance to admire last weekend. Done by a recent graduate of a lengthy training program that shall remain nameless (but not initial-less... RVSL), these obviously hand-done refrets were marvelous examples of both economy of labor in preparation & execution, as well as a stark reminder of the need for Band-Aids in every musician's gigging kit.

OK... I am done venting. Back down to the shop for more fun stripping contact cement off the replacement mega-pickguard patch on my ongoing repair intervention. Pictures to follow once my blood pressure drops a bit.

-Mark Helprin, The Oceans and the Stars: A Sea Story, A War Story, A Love Story (A Novel)

These users thanked the author Woodie G for the post (total 7): Durero (Sun May 07, 2023 5:13 pm) • Hesh (Sun May 07, 2023 6:28 am) • joshnothing (Sat May 06, 2023 3:39 pm) • Pat Foster (Sat May 06, 2023 11:20 am) • Cal Maier (Sat May 06, 2023 10:59 am) • rbuddy (Sat May 06, 2023 10:52 am) • Chris Pile (Sat May 06, 2023 9:39 am)

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 10:19 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

State: West Somerset
Focus: Build
Woodie, not much fun for you but you have seriously brightened up my day! Bondo indeed - whatever that is!

Dave

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 10:35 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Some months back I had an early Martin, 1860's, that someone (not the current owner) used JB-Weld to glue the bridge back down. Not only did they use it but must have gotten it on there finger tips and proceeded to touch the guitar in several random spots. But hey! The bridge did hold at least for a little while.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 12:37 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I hadn’t thought of using Bondo for those things. Thanks for the tip!

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 2:47 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

City: Lenoir City
State: TN
Zip/Postal Code: 37772
Focus: Repair
Where's Padma when you need him laughing6-hehe

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 5:18 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Woodie, my last 5 gallon pail of Bondo is almost empty. Can you tell me who has the best price on it right now?:>)

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 11:58 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Josh
Focus: Build
Undoing poor prior work sucks, having to deal with a customer who is in a bad mood due to the malpractice of the last luthier sucks. Feel for ya Woodie!

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 6:31 am 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
Bondo was something Padma advocated too :) I use it as well for cauls and such.

Sorry Woodie I can appreciate your pain. The biggest issue for me is sharp string ends and people who want to play Popeye the sailor with their excess string and can't remember to purchase a cutter at a hardware store.... I hate bleeding on people's instruments.... :)