Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

Post subject: 5th build completed
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 5:56 pm 
Koa
Koa

State: Texas
Focus: Repair
A maple and red spruce combo. Modified dreadnought shape (1/2" narrower all the way around but still 20" long) with a deep body and reverse taper. Short scale at 24.56. It's kind of a haphazard combination of features I love from guitars like the Kalamazoo Oriole (maple and the shorter than normal scale) Nick Lucas (deep body).

The finish is lacking a bit as I was really suffering from burnout with this one. But she intonates well and the tone is wide, focused, raw and woody. Works equally well as a strummer or fingerstyler. I'm pretty happy with her overall.

These users thanked the author DanKirkland for the post (total 6): Michaeldc (Mon May 15, 2023 7:52 am) • PatrickW (Fri May 12, 2023 5:56 pm) • joshnothing (Thu May 11, 2023 5:15 pm) • Colin North (Thu May 11, 2023 1:45 am) • bcombs510 (Wed May 10, 2023 7:18 pm) • Chris Pile (Wed May 10, 2023 6:02 pm)

Post subject: Re: 5th build completed
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 6:02 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Chris
Last Name: Pile
City: Wichita
State: Kansas
Who doesn't like a gorgeous blonde?

These users thanked the author Chris Pile for the post: DanKirkland (Thu May 18, 2023 8:12 am)

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 6:21 pm 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
Looks great Dan congratulations.

These users thanked the author Hesh for the post: DanKirkland (Thu May 18, 2023 8:12 am)

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 7:18 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Brad
Last Name: Combs
Focus: Build
Looks great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

These users thanked the author bcombs510 for the post: DanKirkland (Thu May 18, 2023 8:12 am)

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 7:22 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Ken
Last Name: Nagy
City: Goodrich
State: MI
Finish has always been a problem for me. First off, I am not a detail person. I see the big picture. The plan. The design, and the form. I do like details, but fine details, like space behind purflings in spots, bumps, craters; I don't notice. I do see them in good light outside.

I also like doing something new. So I guess I suffer from the burnout you tell of. I figure it is DONE; but it is only half done. I think I'll start varnishing AFTER I start the next instrument. There are always times when you are in between steps. Finishing and varnish are tasks that don't usually take too much time. Put in fill. Put on varnish. A lot of waiting time.

I think your guitar looks great. The flame of the maple shows through nice. The wide binding looks good. Well done.

These users thanked the author Ken Nagy for the post: DanKirkland (Thu May 18, 2023 8:12 am)

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 8:33 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

The finish looks fine from this distance and I bet you 99% of anyone who looks at it will think it looks great. I'm working on #73 now and of course I see finish flaws, the maker always does. The binding on that is really cool (what is it?), very unique and jibes with that nice curly maple too.

These users thanked the author jfmckenna for the post: DanKirkland (Thu May 18, 2023 8:12 am)

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 8:16 am 
Koa
Koa

State: Texas
jfmckenna wrote:
The finish looks fine from this distance and I bet you 99% of anyone who looks at it will think it looks great. I'm working on #73 now and of course I see finish flaws, the maker always does. The binding on that is really cool (what is it?), very unique and jibes with that nice curly maple too.

Thanks. I struggle with being critical (of others and myself) so I appreciate the reality check.

The binding is ABS plastic. The W/B portion I treated like purfling. I was a bit worried it was going to look garish but I realized afterwards it makes the body not look overly deep. Kind of trims things down to my eyes.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 9:37 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Marcus
Last Name: Bailie
City: Kirkland
State: WA
nice job! I feel your pain on the finish, it's my most challenging aspect.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 5:21 pm 
Koa
Koa

Hey good job:! Congrats!
Finishing can be challenging for sure. Keep going at it. Don’t be afraid to use different finishes to find the one that balances w your setup / potential :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 6:17 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Nice looking guitar! bliss

It does have the vibe of an old Kalamazoo - simple trim, but all the essentials. I like the binding scheme, it's fancy in a plain sort of way. I like the way the grain of the top looks - it fits well with the over all look of the guitar. It reminds me of some of the dense low cost Engelmann tops I have, or perhaps I should say - they remind me of some of the red spruce tops I have seen. If you get a chance check out some of those tops, you might be pleasantly surprised.
One thing I have found with finishing is it sometimes helps to not do it all at once. I will sometimes apply the finish, assemble the instrument and play it for a month or two, and then sand and buff the finish when the mood strikes me. Usually after it is all buffed out and shiny someone will want to buy it (pretty guitars, like pretty women always get more attention). My favorites go unbuffed for years [:Y:] This works for me as I am not under any pressure to sell, except for the fact that things pile up. gaah laughing6-hehe
Again - nice looking guitar, I like it! [:Y:]