Koa

First name: Ernest
Last Name: Kleinman
City: Guthrie
State: OK
Zip/Postal Code: 73044
Focus: Build
Hello,
Could someone please post step by step instructions for uploading photos to this website? Or refer me to a place in the website where that information already exists?

Thank you so much,
Cathy Kleinman

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 5:30 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Don
Last Name: Parker
City: Charleston
State: West Virginia
Zip/Postal Code: 25314
Cathy—

Some folks use a separate app called Tapatalk. I don’t. Maybe someone else can give you instructions on how to use Tapatalk.

Assuming an iPhone for taking the photos, and a Windows PC for the work of loading the photos into the OLF from a browser, here is the fairly burdensome way I do it without Tapatalk:

First, you need to get a medium sized version of the photo to be stored on your hard drive. I get there by e-mailing it from my iPhone to my e-mail account, and when a window pops up to ask what size I should make the photo, I choose medium. If you don't keep it at medium or lower, the photos might be too big for the OLF to accept.

Then, I go to my e-mail account (Outlook), find the e-mail, and locally save the attached photo to my hard drive. Then, I open it there and make sure it has the right orientation (it might need a 90 degree rotation).

Then, I go to the thread in the OLF where I want to post the photos, go to the Reply box (where you type messages), and pick the Full Editor button.

If you scroll down a little, you will see a Choose File button. Hit that, and navigate on your hard drive where the photo is, then select it. Once the loading process ends, you hit the Add the file button. That loads the photo into the OLF.

Lastly, you need to decide where to place it in the new message you are creating. Place your cursor in the new message box where you want the photo to go, and hit the Place inline button. It will load a link at that spot. Hit the Preview button to make sure this is all going to look right. Assuming it does, then hit the Submit button.

Like I said, this is somewhat burdensome, so Tapatalk might be a better way to go.

These users thanked the author doncaparker for the post: Ernie Kleinman (Sat May 20, 2023 6:30 am)

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 5:55 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Brad
Last Name: Combs
Agreed with Don, it might be more work than it’s worth. Also, since I expect you’re sharing photos of wood and tools, reducing them to the size needed to upload might work against you because of the loss of detail.

One thing that could work would be to put them all in a third party location like Google Drive or Microsoft OneDrive.

Do you have a gmail or outlook (hotmail) email address? We could talk you through uploading there and just post a single link to a shared album.

Brad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

These users thanked the author bcombs510 for the post: Ernie Kleinman (Sat May 20, 2023 6:31 am)

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 6:37 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Jay
Last Name: De Rocher
City: Bothell
State: Washington
Are you wanting to take photos with the camera in a phone and upload directly from there, or do you want to take the photos with a phone or a standard camera, download them to a desktop computer, and then upload them to the forum from there?

Photos have to be less than 200 kb in size to load directly to forum, at least from a desktop computer. I don't know if that requirement applies to Tapatalk since I haven't used it. If you want to go the desktop route, you can reduce photos to less than 200 kb (I've found that 100 - 125 kb works best for posting here) without loss of image quality using PowerPoint if you have that program. It's a process, but it works.

Last edited by J De Rocher on Fri May 19, 2023 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

These users thanked the author J De Rocher for the post: Ernie Kleinman (Sat May 20, 2023 6:33 am)

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 6:40 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Ed
Last Name: Bond
City: Vancouver
I use Tapatalk and it’s very simple.

Just download the app, and search for the OLF.

You’ll be able to comment on threads or start threads just as on the OLF.

You can post photos directly from your phone as easy as if you were posting to Facebook or what have you. Photos size themselves, or there may be a step to choose size before posting, I use medium and they’re fine.

The only tedious thing is that you can only post one photo at a time to a thread, at least on the free version of the app. So instead of selecting several photos at once to be processed, you select one, get it on the thread, select another etc. This is just to encourage you to the pay version, which you don’t need.

https://www.tapatalk.com/download_free_tapatalk.php

These users thanked the author meddlingfool for the post: Ernie Kleinman (Sat May 20, 2023 6:31 am)

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 6:52 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Ernest
Last Name: Kleinman
City: Guthrie
State: OK
Zip/Postal Code: 73044
Thank you all for your ideas and suggestions for posting photos here. In the past, when I uploaded photos for Ernie, some years ago, I ran into the problem of loss of detail due to having to resize downward. Generally when needing to upload photos to a website, I would send photos from my iphone to desktop PC and upload from there. I like the idea of saving photos in a third party location so that the integrity of the photos are saved. I do have a gmail account so could use Google Drive. Brad, I may contact you for help with that. Thanks again.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 8:29 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Mike
Last Name: O'Melia
City: Huntsville
State: Alabama
I use a little trick to resize images. Most email clients give an option to resize images before sending. I essentially email them from my phone to myself. Use small size option. They almost always are perfectly sized for OLF. Then, just download pics from email to photos if using phone.

Ernie, other than that, use the full editor option below to select the photos and upload.

I also have an app on my phone called Image Size. Its ok, but I prefer email option.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 9:18 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Since you are already using Imgur it's easy. Just go to your photo in your album and click to open it. There will be a menu on the right. Click the BBCode option 'Copy' button and that copies the code to your clip board. Then simply paste it here as the example below. On my post if you click 'quote' reply button you will see what it looks like.

I am using a PC to do this not a phone.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 9:08 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

meddlingfool wrote:
I use Tapatalk and it’s very simple.

Just download the app, and search for the OLF.

You’ll be able to comment on threads or start threads just as on the OLF.

You can post photos directly from your phone as easy as if you were posting to Facebook or what have you. Photos size themselves, or there may be a step to choose size before posting, I use medium and they’re fine.

The only tedious thing is that you can only post one photo at a time to a thread, at least on the free version of the app. So instead of selecting several photos at once to be processed, you select one, get it on the thread, select another etc. This is just to encourage you to the pay version, which you don’t need.

https://www.tapatalk.com/download_free_tapatalk.php

I have found this to be the easiest way,but as you said without paying for it you can only load one at a time which is not so bad.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 9:14 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Ed
Last Name: Bond
City: Vancouver
For me, I’m willing to live with it since I can take a photo and post it on the spot…

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 4:21 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Dan
Last Name: Smith
City: Round Rock
State: TX
Zip/Postal Code: 78681
I Upload photos in Tapatalk; then use my Ipad to visit and use the forum.

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 6:58 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

dzsmith wrote:
I Upload photos in Tapatalk; then use my Ipad to visit and use the forum.

I do the same.

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 8:57 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I can’t get a decent looking photo within the file size limits, so I upload from Tapatalk. I’m not sure if Tapatalk stores the files on its own server, but it’s not effected by the file size limit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk