Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 9:56 am 
Koa
Koa

I’m considering a build for a 14fret short scale acoustic. No real details yet, but was just mentally thinking through what would be involved. I realize the bridge will need to move up a bit, and am concerned about it crowding the sound hole and looking weird.

What considerations should I be thinking about / what body shapes would work best for such a thing?
Thanks
B

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 10:25 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Ed
Last Name: Bond
City: Vancouver
Focus: Build
How short are you calling short scale?

Some things to consider…

Make sure your x’s hit the bridge wings where you like…

Make sure you bridge pin holes don’t hit the x’s…

Make sure there is enough space in front of the saddle and the x brace joint to fit a SBT of your choice if you plan that, and if you plan a UST make sure your saddle slot ends don’t hover over the x’s…

Make sure to adjust your bridgeplate to accommodate the new bridge location and check to see that there’ll be room for an SBT if you’re planning one. May be prudent to plan carefully pickup ramifications even if you’re not adding one today so that some future P/U installer just doing their thing doesn’t doesn't get hit with less than ideal circumstance and accidentally doing something silly.

As for the aesthetics of crowding the sound hole, it’s easy enough to slide it forward a bit, but even going from 25.5 to 24.75, the bridge would only move forward to the neck joint by about 3/8”…

In theory, my layout templates can accommodate 25.5-24.75 without changing anything, in practice, well, my thoughts above come from experience, lol.

I don’t worry too too much about scale/body size looks wise, after all J45’s are 24.75, AJ’s are 25.5 and they share the same body shape and they both look fine…that said, a short scale 00/000 can be a nice change from a dread.

I also think it’s a good idea to widen the nut a touch on a short scale, if your 25.5 scale has a 1 11/16 nut ala Martin/Larrivee dread. Mine are almost universally 25 and 1.75…

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 1:35 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Don
Last Name: Parker
City: Charleston
State: West Virginia
Zip/Postal Code: 25314
Snow—

Do you have the G Thang software? I find it to be really helpful when running through the “what-ifs” of changes like this.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 4:58 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Jay
Last Name: De Rocher
City: Bothell
State: Washington
doncaparker wrote:
Snow—

Do you have the G Thang software? I find it to be really helpful when running through the “what-ifs” of changes like this.

Agreed. G Thang makes it a breeze to see the effects of changes in things like scale lengths and the position of the neck/body joint on the bridge position, whether or not the sound hole gets crowded and whether you can fix that by moving the sound hole a bit, and whether changes you try out make the overall appearance funky or not. The program comes with a selection of several standard body shapes that you can use to try out your ideas or you can modify one of those body shapes to suit your tastes and then try out stuff. The one limitation is that it only runs on PCs.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 9:59 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: John
Last Name: Cox
Brown craft paper is your friend. You can draft out the scale, soundhole placement, bracing, and other details pretty easy that way.

One I always struggle with is getting the neck width at the body joint right. Drawing it out makes it easy, as you can just draft and measure.

These users thanked the author truckjohn for the post: SnowManSnow (Mon May 22, 2023 5:31 pm)

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 10:34 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: peter
Last Name: havriluk
City: granby
State: ct
Zip/Postal Code: 06035
I think Truckjohn's got it right. This is your guitar, you can do anything you want. There's no design police. There is quite an array of dimensions to keep track of, though. Make as many drawings as you need. I suggest starting with the body outline, locate the position of the saddle slot, and start filling in the blanks. Time you get done, the fingerboard, soundhole, bridge plate, bridge, saddle, and x-brace will be on the drawing.

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 7:35 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

When Martin started building 14 fret bodies they "pushed down" the upper bout compared to the 12 fret bodies. That helped the bridge position in the lower bout remain close to where it was.
Nigel Forster's tenor guitars seems to have taken this concept a bit farther, so you might check out what he has done. Tenor guitars usually have a 22 to 23 inch scale length, but I'm not sure what he uses.
https://www.nkforsterguitars.com/instru ... or-guitar/

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 12:25 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Pat
Last Name: Foster
Clay S. wrote:
When Martin started building 14 fret bodies they "pushed down" the upper bout compared to the 12 fret bodies. That helped the bridge position in the lower bout remain close to where it was.
Nigel Forster's tenor guitars seems to have taken this concept a bit farther, so you might check out what he has done. Tenor guitars usually have a 22 to 23 inch scale length, but I'm not sure what he uses.
https://www.nkforsterguitars.com/instru ... or-guitar/

Here's a composite pic I put up here when the occasion arises. Both halves of the image are Martin 00 size, aligned according to the frets. It shows the differences between the "squashed" 14 fret and the longer body 12 fret 00. Personally, I love the tone from the longer body.

Attachment:
martinOM,00-12.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

http://www.patfosterguitars.com

These users thanked the author Pat Foster for the post: bcombs510 (Mon May 22, 2023 3:17 pm)

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 3:14 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Mark
Last Name: McLean
City: Sydney
State: New South Wales
Zip/Postal Code: 2145
If you are considering 24.7 inch as being “short scale”, versus 25.4 - don’t stress to much as it is not a huge difference and you can shift things to compensate. It is also interesting to think that Gibson made L-00 models with 12 or 13 or 14 frets to the body without changing the body shape or size. They just moved the bridge and the bracing a bit north or south. I would really recommend a short scale 13 fret design. It kind of balances out to put the bridge in a really good spot to drive the lower bout in a 00 or 000 sized body. Check out the Santa Cruz H-13, or the vintage Gibson Nick Lucas 13 fret L-00.

These users thanked the author Mark Mc for the post: SnowManSnow (Tue May 23, 2023 5:12 pm)

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 4:41 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Ed
Last Name: Bond
City: Vancouver
My 13 fret deep body 00 is my best seller…

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 5:33 pm 
Koa
Koa

Thanks y’all. I just wanted to make sure there wasn’t anything super weird I wasn’t thinking of:) I’ll be alright shifting braces / sound hole and such:)
Peace:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 7:58 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: peter
Last Name: havriluk
City: granby
State: ct
Zip/Postal Code: 06035
I've made (2? 3? lost track) 13-fret short-scale guitars with roughly OO sized bodies and I've found them to be happy combinations of playability and tone. As mentioned above that puts the bridge in a happy place and allows me to use 1 tone bar, the neighborhood is otherwise crowded inside.

These users thanked the author phavriluk for the post: Colin North (Tue May 23, 2023 4:31 am)