It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 9:24 am 
Walnut
Walnut

Hello all

I have only played X braced guitars until recently when I acquired a ladder braced guitar. The sound is quite different. More bass for the x braced martin at least for the two I was comparing. I have never played a falcate braced guitar and don't have access to one. So, can anyone give a basic sound comparison of x braced vs ladder vs falcate?

Thanks
Kevin

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 4:11 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Martin
Last Name: Taylor
City: Central Coast
State: NSW
Focus: Build
Hi Kevin,
We have built over a hundred falcate braces guitars in our school now (and just as many X-braced). Just like with X-braced guitars, the sound varies across shapes and materials. The main difference of comparing falcate and X is that the value of every note up and down the fretboard is more consistent with falcate. Generally the guitars are also louder.

We have found that small - medium body guitars benefit the most from falcate whereas large dreadnoughts like a J45 shape can produce almost too much sound and can end up being a little muddy.

That being said, the acoustic basses we’ve made with falcate are so good that play as loud as any acoustic guitar and don’t need amplification in a jam session!

The main comment we get, particularly for the smaller body shapes, is how much louder they are and how rich a sound they have. If you turned away while a parlour was being played you’d swear it was a dreadnought.

Of course, all of this is also affected by the soundboard material, it’s inherent stiffness and the volume of air etc.

Hope this helps.

Martin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author martintaylor for the post (total 2): Pmaj7 (Tue May 23, 2023 5:03 pm) • Durero (Tue May 23, 2023 1:44 pm)

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 4:40 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Ed
Last Name: Bond
City: Vancouver
Rye Bear makes a falcate super parlour that is like what Martin said, so dang good it sounds like a dread, just incredible…

These users thanked the author meddlingfool for the post: Pmaj7 (Tue May 23, 2023 5:30 pm)

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 11:33 am 
Walnut
Walnut

thanks Martin

This is what I was looking for. I was afraid the falcate might not have the bass an x brace might have.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 1:29 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Ed
Last Name: Bond
City: Vancouver
If executed properly, the falcate design should have more bass than an x braced guitar. The whole point of the falcate design is to increase monopole mobility…

These users thanked the author meddlingfool for the post: Pmaj7 (Tue May 23, 2023 5:43 pm)