Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 8:09 am 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
It's been years since anyone has had to remind anyone else here that we do have sponsors and these are the very fine folks who help in a big way to keep the lights on here at the OLF. Without them there would be no OLF. This has always been the case there is nothing new in my reminder.

Many of these sponsors are our personal friends too such as Uncle Bob who I gave that name long ago and many other sponsors too. They are in this with us and they are all about helping us with our journey to learn about Lutherie.

It's been Lance's practice when a non-sponsor is promoted on the olf to recognize that for better or worse it may be at the expense of a current sponsor. How would you like to pay monthly to be represented here with your wares and then have others turn the forum onto competitors who are not sponsors and have zero skin the the game here on the OLF? It sucks and if I were a sponsor I would complain about it.

So what's the work-a-round? It's my style if I point out a path that is problematic to suggest a path or two that isn't.

What we used to do and I have done this personally is when we want to highlight a supplier that competes with other sponsors here but is not a sponsor to discus with them that maybe they could extend their reach and market into the OLF by becoming a sponsor. Then put them in touch with Lance and if you do not know how to get in touch with Lance I am in touch with Lance and I can let you know hot to reach him. If you are uncomfortable promoting the OLF just put them in touch with Lance, please. This covers your butt, respects our existing sponsors, respects Lance and keeps the peace.

The lights are still on here at the OLF and the OLF needs to keep it that way or many of you, all of us are going to lose out if the lights ever go dark here. Please if you are fancying promoting someone here on Lance's forum that is not a sponsor please contact Lance and see what he thinks about it? You may be helping out the potential sponsor in a big way too and there is nothing wrong with that.

Thanks and now back to our regularly scheduled program.

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 4:33 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Aaron
Last Name: Hix
City: Chatsworth
State: Georgia
Zip/Postal Code: 30705
Focus: Build
Thanks, Hesh. Appreciated.

These users thanked the author A.Hix for the post: Hesh (Sat May 27, 2023 7:35 pm)

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 7:47 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Jay
Last Name: De Rocher
City: Bothell
State: Washington
Hesh, for clarity, could you define specifically what constitutes promoting and what doesn't? Not being flippant here. I'm sure "promoting" is taken to mean different things by different people. I believe in supporting the forum's sponsors. I have been a repeat customer of Aaron's and Bob's and I've put in a good word for both of them here on various occasions. Excellent suppliers.

Here's a specific example where I wonder if it would constitute promoting, or not. If someone posts asking for a good source of a specific type of non-mainstream wood and I know a supplier who specializes in that wood and I know they supply high quality product, am I "promoting" them if I simply answer the question by providing their name? Especially if the wood in question is not a specialty of the wood suppliers who are sponsors of the forum?

I'm sure there are other potential gray areas.

These users thanked the author J De Rocher for the post: A.Hix (Tue May 30, 2023 9:01 am)

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 5:42 am 

J De Rocher wrote:
Hesh, for clarity, could you define specifically what constitutes promoting and what doesn't? Not being flippant here. I'm sure "promoting" is taken to mean different things by different people. I believe in supporting the forum's sponsors. I have been a repeat customer of Aaron's and Bob's and I've put in a good word for both of them here on various occasions. Excellent suppliers.

Here's a specific example where I wonder if it would constitute promoting, or not. If someone posts asking for a good source of a specific type of non-mainstream wood and I know a supplier who specializes in that wood and I know they supply high quality product, am I "promoting" them if I simply answer the question by providing their name? Especially if the wood in question is not a specialty of the wood suppliers who are sponsors of the forum?

I'm sure there are other potential gray areas.

J I am not the one to ask it's Lance's forum and sand box but this need not be any more complicated than this. To me it's a matter of having some basic class and decency. I am a guest here on Lance's forum, so is everyone else except the sponsors who have a different agreement than we basic members do. When I am a guest on someone's forum (other than Elon Musk) it's important to me to act like a guest and be respectful.

I received a PM this morning that pissed me off because the author saw this as black and white and that no mention of someone other than who is a sponsor is what I speak of. This is not the case and it was a Bull puckie position to take because I even provide a path or two to bring in Lance and maybe even provide a sponsorship opportunity to the vendor.

So discuss away, bring new vendors into the forum and show them around none of this has anything to do with what I speak of. What does have everything to do with what I speak of is the repeated use of OLF infrastructure, servers, bandwidth and such to promote a vendor who is not a sponsor but to arrange an event there using the OLF to do so. That's poor form and if I was one of our sponsors I would have said so.

This is a far cry from discussing a new supplier of fret wire or someone with better end nippers. No one is attempting to stifle any conversation here and I will push back hard if that is the contention because it's a misrepresentation.

Again, to be clear I speak of having some class. If you are a guest in someone's home act like one..... that's my point. The OLF as one member to another is not an entitlement and it was not always here nor will it always be here. I appreciate the place, it helped change my life in a big and good way and I want to see the OLF live long and prosper.

So I repeat I'm a guest here, so are all of you.... and in being a guest there are things I will and will not do. I will follow Lance's rules except the dang one about cussing... :). I also won't use his bandwidth to suggest people not come here, that's pretty classless. And if I recognize that he is trying to keep the lights on and that is what sponsors are partly for I'm not going to interfere with this.

One last thing the OLF is not an entitlement. The group I learned here with were very happy to have this forum warts and all. It had low periods and high periods and it's still here nearly 20 years later. Countless new businesses were started because of the OLF and many of them have been or are currently sponsors.

Ann Arbor Gutiars was started because of the OLF, this is where I met Dave Collins.

The OLF is largely a personal achievement of Lance Kragenbrink and in my view we all owe him.

So here's a tale of how Hesh puts his money where his mouth is.

We held classes in the stuff that the woodworkers here often need help with, fretting, set-up, etc. The classes were successful but hard for everyone including us. I promoted them on the OLF without asking Lance if I could do so. I, we, Ann Arbor Gutiars were never a sponsor.

At the end of each class I proactively PayPaled Lance a percentage of our take because it was the right thing to do and we could not have done the classes for the OLF without the OLF. He appreciated what we gave him and we did it for every class we ever held. He never had to ask and we never said it was coming we just shared our take with the OLF.

We used this forum to promote a business, ours and we proactively paid for same without anyone ever asking us to do so.

Because it was the right thing to do and that's what I speak of here. Please value the OLF enough to want it, us to be successful and continue on and that requires respecting our valued sponsors as well as the membership.

Discuss whatever you want at any length you want simply be mindful that if a business entity competes with a paying sponsor here bring Lance into it so he can decide what he wants to do.

Now who wants to discuss the debt ceiling :) :D

These users thanked the author Hesh for the post (total 2): Pmaj7 (Sun May 28, 2023 10:22 am) • Chris Pile (Sun May 28, 2023 9:25 am)

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 10:15 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Can someone give an example of this? (without incriminating anyone)

I mostly use the Tapatalk app and I never really see who the sponsors are anyways. Maybe that should be something to improve for the business model. Anyway, seems like you would need to stay current on who the sponsors are to not be in danger of doing the thing that is the doing.

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 10:36 am 

Pat a generic example would be a company that competes with Stewmac and sells a lot of the same kinds of things.

Sure discuss them and what they sell all you want and this is sharing of product and vendor knowledge and perfectly appropriate even with an existing business relationship between the OLF and Stewmac.

But organize an event with the non-sponsor using the same infrastructure the OLF servers and member list mining members that our sponsors pay monthly to keep the forum functioning and that's bad form. Again if I was a sponsor and this happened I would wonder why I pay to be a sponsor.

Perhaps more importantly there is another way and that is to bring them in as a potential or actual sponsor. That's where we get in touch with Lance so he can speak with them about it.

Pretty simple really.

And lastly to be clear I am not management with the OLF I am simply friends with Lance and he has asked me to be his eyes and ears here. This has been the case of years by the way...... I'm not a moderator even though I once was the only moderator the OLF had ever had back then. I simply appreciate the place, see a lot of good that has been done, do not want to be the one who selfishly does anything so that this resource is no longer here for others.

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 11:08 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Brad
Last Name: Combs
It’s a good point about Tapatalk. I wonder what is the percentage of users who consume the forum exclusively through the Tapatalk app. I use both both I only use the browser to post about the zoom meetings so I can make sure it looks correct to all users. It’s also easier to copy / paste bulk text in the browser.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

These users thanked the author bcombs510 for the post (total 2): Smylight (Tue May 30, 2023 8:36 am) • Pmaj7 (Sun May 28, 2023 1:07 pm)