Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Power planner to jointer
PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:17 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Hello i have a power planner and flipped it upside down so as to use it as a jointer...the way to do this is from this sitehttp://sawdust.online.fr/Project/PowerPlaner/en_MiniPlanerJointer.php the question i want to ask is this safe? or it is possible that the blades fly to my head???

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:37 am 
Koa
Koa

Location: 8.33±0.35 kpc from Galactic center, 20 light-years above the equatorial in the Sol System
First name: duh
Last Name: Padma
City: Professional Sawdust Maker
Focus: Build
As long as the blades have been installed properly there should be no problem. Me believe the angel that the blades are set in on most of these cutter heads are will be held in place by centrifugal force alone.

From years of experience these "convert this to that" ideas that show up in wood rags are IMHO not worth the effort or the time.

For the time its gonna takes to make this plus the $ for materials one could make a shooting board, score a few orphan tops and become a master at hand jointing.

Craigs list jointers are cheap...and lots of them around.

Audiences and dispensations on Thursdays ~ by appointment only.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:45 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

I live in Greece and here the planer jointers are expensive... i make instruments for a hobby so its to difficult to me to take everything...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:14 pm 
Koa
Koa

Location: 8.33±0.35 kpc from Galactic center, 20 light-years above the equatorial in the Sol System
pikolo wrote:
I live in Greece and here the planer jointers are expensive... i make instruments for a hobby so its to difficult to me to take everything...

Greece eh!...thats why this forum asks members to completely fill out their profile So the rest of us may advise them of their questioning in relationship to the country and environment of where they are working.

Greece...ok There are lots of bowl back instruments being built in Greece by loofers who use hand planes blocked up in a vise. Then holding the stave or plates, shoot the board over the plane. Some vice up the plates and others use a shooting board. All 3 methods are very fast, cheap and effective. Their skills are excellent. Why not talk to a bouzouki or Oud builder. Alls it take s is a bit of practice.

Me currently has a 6 inch jointer and a 4 inch hand held power planer...never use them for loofier work. Just not worth the hastle.

Jointers wood be ideal to have in a production line setting...but for a one man shop... pfft

But if you have the time to fiddle with something like that in the link you posted...by all means go for it.

blessings
duh ?adma

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:02 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

i have done it...the only concern i have is if the blades fly from the machine and land over to my head :P does the power planners have a safe lock or something similar? or the blades can come of the machine at anytime and it is just a matter of luck not be killed?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:50 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Alex
Last Name: Kleon
City: Whitby
State: Ontario
Zip/Postal Code: L1N8X2
pikolo wrote:
i have done it...the only concern i have is if the blades fly from the machine and land over to my head :P does the power planners have a safe lock or something similar? or the blades can come of the machine at anytime and it is just a matter of luck not be killed?

I would be more concerned with keeping my fingers away from the blades. Just make sure the blades are secured as per the tool instructions, wear eye and ear protection, and as applies to all tools, don't use it when your mind is not in the right place!

Alex

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:18 pm 
Koa
Koa

@ Alex and Pilolo

to me best understanding them blades are held in with a pile of screws, at least mine is and are fitted in such a way that centrifugal force will stop them from flying out of the machined head that they are bolted into.

But then me has been wrong before, once upon a time, long ago in our distant future.

Ya! right.

blessings

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:40 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

thanks alot guys!!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:37 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Michiyuki
Last Name: Kubo
State:
Hey buddy, are you still alive after that? please let us know you are ok. idunno

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:05 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

I am ok my friend I just dont use it in fact I gave away thw power planner I made myself a drum sander ;)

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 5:53 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Michiyuki
Last Name: Kubo
State:
Glad to see you still have your head ! Haha

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 11:57 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

it was really dangerous and nor to mess with it...I need yhe jointwe though...making a fretboard side flat is very time consuming for me....