Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:37 am 
Walnut
Walnut

First name: Matthew
Last Name: Walton
Hi all, I’m working on building my first guitar, and it’s going to be kind of a thinline with two TV Jones pickups.

How do I index the router templates used in different steps, and in what order should I do that routing/hollowing? E.g. I plan to hollow out the chambers for pickups and resonance before cutting out the outline. I guess my big concern is making sure the pickups will be in the right place along the scale length. One axis seems easy enough as I can just keep a centerline, but the other direction seems trickier somehow. Is it still just a matter of making marks on the other axis, or is there a more clever method?

On a related note, what order should I do this routing in? I remember reading that it’s easier to do chambering (and I assume pickup routing) before the outline is cut out, so I’ll be doing that. But what about the neck pocket? Should I do all of that neck pocket milling after I have the thinline top glued on, or get the pocket dialed in without the top, mostly cut the pocket out of the top, glue the top on, then use a flush bit to finish it off? Feels like this might be a good way to hide minor booboos, but I really don’t know.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:16 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Freeman
Last Name: Keller
Focus: Build
Matt, the important thing is to establish center lines and keep working from them. I recently did a chambered tele style guitar (without the f-hole, but that would be easy to add) and I did a build thread on another fourm

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/a-chamber ... ng.884657/

I did the chambering before cutting out the body shape. I made sure I had the internal access for wiring and because I wasn't going to put a p/g or control plate on the front, I did the access route on the back while the top was still off.

Once the top is on I did the binding channels and installed the binding before routing the neck pocket - I think I can get better control of the binding if I do it first. I do the neck pocket before the bridge or pickups and I build the neck as the same time I'm building the body. The neck and pocket establisth the true center line on the body and the exact scale length - if your neck is off by a hair and you have already done the bridge route they won't line up.

The geometry is pretty straight forward with a tele but I still check and double check and check again all thru the build using the actual bridge that will go on the guitar. I think that is pretty well covered in the thread.

One thing to be thinking about all the time is can you make templates that screw into a part of the guitar that will be removed in a subsequent route? I basically don't trust double stick tape to hold it in place so if possible I run a flat head screw or two into the body. My neck template screws into the area where the pickups and bridge will go (See post #50) and if I am doing humbuckers I always mount the templates using a couple of the holes for the rings.

ps - if you want to bind the f-hole it is much easier to do with the top off the guitars - you can let the binding stand proud of both the top and the inside and scrape it back.

pps - a common mistake is to drill the jack hole in the side before doing the binding channel or round over. The router bit bearing will fall into the hole and take a big hunk out of whatever you are routing. Do the the jack hole last.

These users thanked the author Freeman for the post: Matt Walton (Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:14 pm)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:11 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

First name: Matthew
Last Name: Walton
Oh wow, this was very helpful, thank you for the in-depth answer!

Looks like you made a lot of similar decisions for your guitar as I expect to do with mine. My pickguard, if I have one at all, will be quite small, so I can't just use it to cover up gigantic routes. And knob-wise, I'm leaning towards a Les Paul configuration and layout, but either way they'll be coming straight through the top with no plate.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:09 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Freeman
Last Name: Keller
I spend too much money on wood to hide it under a pick guard. As far as the controls, think that thru before you start. I am using a three position pickup selector neck-both-bridge and single volume and tone. A LP configuration lets you blend the two pups (which I do on my LP's) but this works fine for a tele. If you are going to use a blade type switch think about how you are going to cut the slot. Otherwise good luck with your build and if there is anything I can contribute let me know.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:08 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

First name: Grover
Last Name: Campbell
City: Minneapolis
State: Minnesota
Zip/Postal Code: 55416
Whichever you choose will require its own template and will also interact differently with the body and the pickups. If you want to have a 24-fret neck, you will need to take into account the position of your neck Pickup which will be pushed towards the bridge and will both give a slightly different sound, and need different positioning and routing than the same guitar with only 22 frets. The type and number of pickups also makes a difference, humbuckers will not fit in holes routed for single coils and if you decide on one, two or three would make a difference too, both in size and in spacing. Perhaps you should search the Internet for ready-made templates? I also advise you to search YouTube for videos in which experienced musicians talk about creating their own guitars and give valuable advice. I found a couple of dozen videos on this topic there and noticed that most often such videos were posted by channels that had at least 29 thousand subscribers! I am sure this is because their owners often resorted to using https://soclikes.com/buy-youtube-subscribers services in order to wind up the number of subscribers.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:00 am 
Walnut
Walnut

Do you think to try to sell your templates on instagram? From here https://technofaq.org/posts/2020/12/ins ... promotion/ you can read how to make your post on instagram very popular. If your posts are popular many people watch it

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:07 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

First name: Grover
Last Name: Campbell
City: Minneapolis
State: Minnesota
Zip/Postal Code: 55416
Whichever you choose will require its own template and will also interact differently with the body and the pickups. If you want to have a 24-fret neck, you will need to take into account the position of your neck Pickup which will be pushed towards the bridge and will both give a slightly different sound, and need different positioning and routing than the same guitar with only 22 frets. I advice you to post your thoughts in Instagram so that many interested people can see it. And you can always use https://viplikes.net/buy-instagram-followers to increase number of followers.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:07 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Barry
Last Name: Daniels
Wow! Are you guys trying to steer the discussion away from the OLF?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:47 pm 
Koa
Koa

City: Escondido
State: CA
Zip/Postal Code: 92029
Spam posts from fake users.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro