It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:35 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

First name: Corey
State: MI
Focus: Build
I will be starting my first build soon. 50's Style Strat. I've been reading and watching a lot of tutorials and what not, and I came to the conclusion for my first, I'm not super comfortable with the electronics. Plus, by getting one of these pre-wired, I will be able to take a look at it and see how it is, and obviously in future attempt it.
BUT, when looking for parts & materials I found these two pre-wired pickguards for the strat. One is essentially $50, the other is $250. What type of difference am I looking at here, and for a 1st build, any suggestions? I'm assuming its like the pickups of a Squire compared to the pickups of an actual Fender?

https://www.stewmac.com/electronics/pic ... embly.html

and this

https://www.stewmac.com/electronics/pic ... uards.html

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:40 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Conor
Last Name: Searl
City: Duncan
State: British Columbia
Zip/Postal Code: V9L 2E5
The cheaper option is absolutely bottom of the barrel components. It will work but is the equivalent of what you'd find on the cheapest squier sold at your big box store of choice.

The second option is using Stew Mac's Golden age pickups which sound pretty good, and the electronic components (pots, switch, capacitors, etc.) are the best you can find with out hunting down really expensive "boutique" examples. So yes, pretty similar to what you would find in an entry level american fender guitar.

Another thought, depending on how much cost is a factor. Dedicated pickup maker's often sell pre-loaded pickguards as well. Then you'd be looking at quality comparable to a much higher quality guitar. I just looked up pre-loaded pickguards on Lindy Fralin's website, and they start at $345 USD and you have a lot more control over the options.

https://www.fralinpickups.com/product/c ... pickguard/

If this build for you is just putting your toes in the water to see what it's like, then I'd likely go the cheaper route. But if you're hoping to end up with a guitar you love to play, for the extra money I'd say getting the best electronic components possible will ensure you're happiest with the outcome. To me, the most important consideration for an electric guitar is the way it sounds plugged in. So pickups make a BIG difference.

A last thought and its a small one, in case you're using templates/measurements taken from an actual Fender I wouldn't drill the screw holes for the pickguard until you've got it in your hands, aftermarket pickguards don't often line up with Fender's factory holes.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:39 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

First name: Corey
State: MI
Focus: Build
Conor_Searl wrote:
The cheaper option is absolutely bottom of the barrel components. It will work but is the equivalent of what you'd find on the cheapest squier sold at your big box store of choice.

The second option is using Stew Mac's Golden age pickups which sound pretty good, and the electronic components (pots, switch, capacitors, etc.) are the best you can find with out hunting down really expensive "boutique" examples. So yes, pretty similar to what you would find in an entry level american fender guitar.

Another thought, depending on how much cost is a factor. Dedicated pickup maker's often sell pre-loaded pickguards as well. Then you'd be looking at quality comparable to a much higher quality guitar. I just looked up pre-loaded pickguards on Lindy Fralin's website, and they start at $345 USD and you have a lot more control over the options.

https://www.fralinpickups.com/product/c ... pickguard/

If this build for you is just putting your toes in the water to see what it's like, then I'd likely go the cheaper route. But if you're hoping to end up with a guitar you love to play, for the extra money I'd say getting the best electronic components possible will ensure you're happiest with the outcome. To me, the most important consideration for an electric guitar is the way it sounds plugged in. So pickups make a BIG difference.

A last thought and its a small one, in case you're using templates/measurements taken from an actual Fender I wouldn't drill the screw holes for the pickguard until you've got it in your hands, aftermarket pickguards don't often line up with Fender's factory holes.

Ok thanks a lot! I may go with the cheaper route being my first build, but this has been a built up passion of mine for a long time so I see myself continuing the hobby down the road, so eventually will upgrade my materials. And yes about the template, I only have the body and neck templates as of now for shape and size, nothing for hole placement etc.