Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Same rules apply to all forums at the Luthiers Forum.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:37 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

First name: Michael
Last Name: Donnel
City: Shelbyville
State: IL
Zip/Postal Code: 62565
Focus: Build
Working on my first build ever and I am choosing a Bouzouki and working on creating a to scale side profile for a laminated neck.

This neck profile will include headstock, neck, heel, and 25mm extra for a tenon to connect into the body.

Instrument is a long scale of 660mm/26”.

Based on the readings I have done I have figured out everything but the headstock angle. While the instructions speak to a scarf joint neck with 15 degree angle I am wondering how to correctly draw out the headstock profile for a laminated neck? Also, I know the nut is going to be 5mm thick. One other thing I wonder about is the volute and where is it drawn into the profile, as well as, how far past the nut do I go before starting the neck angle?

This is my first time doing this and want to get this portion correct. I know I could follow the plans and do a scarf joint but I personally prefer the strength of a laminated neck. Also, the plans do not provide a neck side profile since the plans allow for creating varied neck lengths to suit the builder.

I looked through the forum for a similar topic but couldn’t locate one. Maybe searched on the wrong keywords.

Update: After re-reading the instructions for the scarfed neck portion of the plan and the Cumpiano/Natelson book Guitar Making Tradition and Technology, specifically the section on scarfed necks I believe I have solved my issue.

My thinking was if the scarfed neck is at a 15 degree angle past the nut then why would the laminated neck not be the same? So I did some drawing, cutting and pasting into this crude drawing. Keeping in mine the measurements in the plan set and text of the book that came with it. Just needing to verify if my plans are where they need to be or not with people that have more experience at this?

Thank you

Sent from my iPad using TapatalkImage