Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Same rules apply to all forums at the Luthiers Forum.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:20 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Hello all,
I'm currently building my first baritone uke, and I would like to pair the Gg and EE strings, to give it a fuller sound. I've been looking into string spacing, but I've not found anything particular to this instrument.
Do the paired strings sit roughly where a single string would go, then just separated a bit, or do you leave a regular space between them and the adjoining strings? I kind of suspect that it's the latter. If so, then the fretboard needs to be wider to accommodate the extra width, right?
Thanks in advance for any info or suggestions...

Also, would the G's be gG, or Gg?
KM

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:03 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: David
Last Name: Ingalls
City: Ashland
State: OR
Zip/Postal Code: 97520
Focus: Build
To lay out the nut, first locate the slot for string one (E), leaving 1/8 inch from the edge of the nut to the edge of the string (not the centerline of the string). Then locate the slot for string six the same way. Locate the centerline of the fifth slot .12 inches from the centerline of the sixth slot. Mark the point that is equidistant between the sixth and fifth slots. Measure from that point to the centerline of the first slot and divide by three. Use that number to measure to the centerline of the second slot. Use that number again to mark the point that is equidistant between the third and fourth slots. Mark the slots so that the centerlines of the fourth and third strings are .12 inches apart.

To lay out the bridge, project in your usual way, whatever that is, to the points on the bridge where the number one and number six string holes will be drilled. Locate the rest of the holes in the manner described above for the nut slots.

In the D pair, the lower octave string is number six. Same order for the G pair.

I’ve used this method successfully with a nut width of 1.48 inches. It is playable and there is no interference between the paired strings.

Good luck!
onoukes.com

These users thanked the author saltytri for the post: Ken Mitchell (Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:19 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:19 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Thanks, David. I'll map it out that way.