Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

2012 Poll
#1 Marcus 14%  14%  [ 33 ]
#2 PeterF 2%  2%  [ 5 ]
#3 micahmed 2%  2%  [ 5 ]
#4 jaybird840 3%  3%  [ 8 ]
#5 Tony_in_NYC 4%  4%  [ 9 ]
#6 Todd and Filippo 27%  27%  [ 62 ]
#7 Bryan Bear 4%  4%  [ 10 ]
#8 jfmckenna 25%  25%  [ 57 ]
#9 SteveSmith 4%  4%  [ 9 ]
#10 weslewis 2%  2%  [ 5 ]
#11 DennisK 4%  4%  [ 10 ]
#12 Dave Fifield 8%  8%  [ 19 ]
Total votes : 232
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:39 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Bryan
Last Name: Bear
City: St. Louis
State: Mo
Focus: Build
135 votes so far! I'm impressed by the turn out in the early goings. It was hard to guage if this challenge was getting all that much attention from people who weren't participating.

Take care of your feet, and your feet will take care of you.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:41 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Tony
Last Name: C
City: Brooklyn
State: NY
My thread has over 6000 views. I think there is a little attention being paid. No caring, but attention.

Posted using something.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:12 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Zeke
Last Name: McKee
City: Goodlettsville
State: TN
Zip/Postal Code: 37070
Tony 5999 of those are your own views, and i accidentaly clicked it once when trying to check out todd and fillipo's mandos. Sorry I threw the count off laughing6-hehe

Seriously though I like the uke. Too tiny for me but still very nice.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:33 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Thanks Zeke! I am not really sure how anyone plays an ukulele. They are so small, I can't figure out how to hold it comfortably.
I thought I was fooling people with the high view count on my thread. Dang.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:32 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Peter
Last Name: Fenske
City: Leeds
State: Yorkshire
Phillip, would it be against the rules for me to exchange my video for a new one using a proper microphone? I know it's after the deadline, but I have been away for two weeks and will only be back with my guitar Monday.

https://www.facebook.com/FenskeGuitars

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:02 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Phillip
Last Name: Patton
City: Yoder
State: IN
Zip/Postal Code: 46798
PeterF wrote:
Phillip, would it be against the rules for me to exchange my video for a new one using a proper microphone? I know it's after the deadline, but I have been away for two weeks and will only be back with my guitar Monday.

Nope, go right ahead.

http://www.pattonblades.com

The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price has faded.

https://hoosierbladesmith.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:06 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Kenneth
Last Name: Casper
City: Northville
State: MI
Tough decision. Some really nice work shown here!

Ken

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:18 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Peter
Last Name: Fenske
City: Leeds
State: Yorkshire
Phillip Patton wrote:
PeterF wrote:

Nope, go right ahead.

Thanks

https://www.facebook.com/FenskeGuitars

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:07 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Danny
Last Name: Vincent
That was jus punishing trying to pick one from that lot!!!!!!!! Hats off to you guys. That was an impressive line up. Beautiful instruments, great videos and some fine players out there. Thanks for putting in the effort. Great entertainment! [clap] [clap] [clap]

Cheers,
Danny

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:23 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Beth
Last Name: Mayer
City: Tucson
State: AZ
I have followed all of the build threads and have learned so much. Mostly though, I have enjoyed watching the entire process and I'm amazed at the wealth of talent and inspired craftsmanship and artistry in this brave little group. Thanks to everyone for putting it out there!!!! Congratulations bliss

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:52 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: micah
Last Name: medlong
City: parma
State: ohio
Zip/Postal Code: 44129
Man, I thought I would've done better in the poles. I feel like I'm in the Green Party lol

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:50 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I'm in. But I wont be building this time! The sheer volume of wise cracks I will have to come up with will take up too much time to build anything.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:35 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: joseph
Last Name: sallis
City: newcastle-upon-tyne
State: tyne and wear
Zip/Postal Code: ne46xe
well, cast my vote, not an easy choice.
I'm wondering if there's a connection between the poll results and the quality of the photos/ documentation.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:31 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Bryan
Last Name: Bear
City: St. Louis
State: Mo
Joe Sallis wrote:
well, cast my vote, not an easy choice.
I'm wondering if there's a connection between the poll results and the quality of the photos/ documentation.

It’s hard to say. I imagine there were 160 some odd different approaches to evaluating the entries. I relied heavily on the sound tracks (which isn’t totally fair because many of us didn’t have great mic setups). A close section was the “coolness” factor, each entry had a certain vibe and some of those vibes captured my heart more than others. Process documentation didn’t play much of a role in my voting (I followed the threads in real time), but I will say that some of the processes outlined in the build threads contributed to the vibe I got. This is one of the great things about getting a ton of votes from people in the instrument making community. Everything is evaluated from many different perspectives.

I think the biggest impact on the voting is the one vote limit. There were 3 that I was struggling to pick from and one of them only got a handful of votes or so.

Take care of your feet, and your feet will take care of you.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:11 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Beth
Last Name: Mayer
City: Tucson
State: AZ
It was very hard to decide. I also had 3 entries that I chose as my top picks. I think the decision for me was based on factors such as; originality, blend of materials used for a given instrument style, execution. It did help to follow the documentation and "hear" each person's build process and the way they did things (sometimes incredibly innovative, I thought).
Sound quality didn't really play as much of a part for me because there WERE different audio recording capabilities, but you could still hear if the intonation was right, if the sound was "right" for the type of instrument, and what the basic tonal quality was.
Fun to watch, and every instrument entered was well worth the time spent following them.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:35 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

micahmed wrote:
Man, I thought I would've done better in the poles. I feel like I'm in the Green Party lol

At the rate this is going I think we need to consult the electoral college laughing6-hehe

The drama is killing me :D

---

As for voting goes it is difficult. I know from the last challenge I had a hard time deciding. I think it's a combination of a lot of factors and that combination changes for any given voter so it's really across the board. It's really cool to see how folks pull off building an instrument for under $150 bucks though. From construction materials and 'waste' wood, to cut down tree's in the back yard, cool stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:39 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Jay
Last Name: Swann
City: Austin
State: TX
Zip/Postal Code: 78739
micahmed wrote:

If I had more than one vote to spend, or if I could rank the builds, yours would be close to the top for me. I absolutely LOVE the sound that comes out of it... Head high, brother. --Jay

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:00 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Dennis
Last Name: Kincheloe
City: Kansas City
State: MO
micahmed wrote:

Yeah, the voting has been a lot less balanced than I would have expected. Yours was one of my favorites.

Probably would look a lot different if people had more than one pick. Seems like it's pretty much become a duel between the octomans and the broke oak, and nobody wants to waste their vote on us hopeless cases :lol:

I can understand my poor showing though, considering the poor video quality, poor playing, and average sounding guitar. It has opened up some since then, but I think I will shave the ends of the fan braces a bit to try and liven it up some more. If only it had sounded as good as coral snake right off the bat. I really wanted that chisel :cry:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:48 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Big
Last Name: Jim
State: Deep in the heart of Bluegrass
DennisK wrote:
micahmed wrote:

Yeah, the voting has been a lot less balanced than I would have expected. Yours was one of my favorites.

Probably would look a lot different if people had more than one pick. Seems like it's pretty much become a duel between the octomans and the broke oak, and nobody wants to waste their vote on us hopeless cases :lol:

I can understand my poor showing though, considering the poor video quality, poor playing, and average sounding guitar. It has opened up some since then, but I think I will shave the ends of the fan braces a bit to try and liven it up some more. If only it had sounded as good as coral snake right off the bat. I really wanted that chisel :cry:

I think the video hurt you a little Dennis , It probably didn't do the build justice . I bet had you been done 30 days earlier and had time for it to open up it would have been much better . Either way its a beautiful build my friend. [:Y:]

Forgiveness is the ability to accept an apology that you will probably NEVER GET
The truth will set you free , But FIRST, it will probably Piss you Off !
Creativity is allowing yourself to make Mistakes, Art is knowing which ones to Keep !
The Saddest thing anyone can do , is push a Loyal Person to the point that they Dont Care Anymore
Never met a STRONG person who had an EASY past !
http://wiksnwudwerks.blogspot.com/
http://www.facebook.com/groups/GatewayA ... rAssembly/

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:05 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Zeke
Last Name: McKee
City: Goodlettsville
State: TN
Zip/Postal Code: 37070
Well put Todd! I am amazed by this whole process. It was a big part of what pursuaded me to join. All of the builders have built fantastic instruments.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:36 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Big
Last Name: Jim
State: Deep in the heart of Bluegrass
Todd Stock wrote:
As I've been reviewing the build threads and attempting to summarize the contest in print and photos for a notional web article, I keep going back to those folks like Peter or Jay, working on their first and second guitar, respectively. It is hard to say enough good things about these instruments, and given the fact that they were built under considerable time pressure and the additional constraint of very limited cost, I am hopeful that we will see a surge of voting this week which recognizes these accomplishments.

Frankly, I am baffled by the lack of votes for some of my favorites here...and hope that the other 5800 or so OLF members will weigh in to recognize not only craftsmanship and creativity, but also what was simply a refusal to quit. Some of these instruments were built in 30 minute stretches of time, sandwiched in between family, work, and sleep time...often before dawn or well after midnight. That alone merits a 'Determination in the Face of Adversity' award.

I'm also struck by the number of folks that threw out the rules and built something that they had never before attempted...Bryan's mando and Tony's uke are examples, as well as Dave's science experiment masquerading as a guitar (and I mean that in the nicest way, Dave...I am in awe).

Finally...there are several folks that were on the verge of finishing, or who finished and just could not get the documentation turned around fast enough (Shane W., etc.)...I really, really would enjoy a chance to see and hear these instruments, so I hope their builders continue to race for the finish line and will honor us with pictures and video of the result.

Extremely well Put Todd !! Thank you !

People , VOTE !!! Make a choice and VOTE !!

Forgiveness is the ability to accept an apology that you will probably NEVER GET
The truth will set you free , But FIRST, it will probably Piss you Off !
Creativity is allowing yourself to make Mistakes, Art is knowing which ones to Keep !
The Saddest thing anyone can do , is push a Loyal Person to the point that they Dont Care Anymore
Never met a STRONG person who had an EASY past !
http://wiksnwudwerks.blogspot.com/
http://www.facebook.com/groups/GatewayA ... rAssembly/

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:43 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Yeah, I wish I was able to get more pictures up. We took the pictures last minute and the video. I wish I could of gotten done soon so I had time to break in for the video. It sounds way better now.

DennisK wrote:
micahmed wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:10 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Phillip
Last Name: Patton
City: Yoder
State: IN
Zip/Postal Code: 46798
micahmed wrote:
Yeah, I wish I was able to get more pictures up. We took the pictures last minute and the video. I wish I could of gotten done soon so I had time to break in for the video. It sounds way better now.

DennisK wrote:
micahmed wrote:

Post another video. :)

http://www.pattonblades.com

The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price has faded.

https://hoosierbladesmith.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:37 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

That's not a bad idea.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:28 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Dennis
Last Name: Kincheloe
City: Kansas City
State: MO
Phillip Patton wrote:
Post another video. :)

I'll record my daily playings and post whenever I get something good.

I'm really not good at performing on command. Although I do occasionally get lucky, like on my video for the previous competition :)

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next