PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:17 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Pierre
Last Name: Castonguay
City: Québec, Qc
Focus: Repair
Hello everyone,

Like any repair shop, I do quite a bit of headstock repairs, and have been more than a bit envious of Dave and Hesh's jig. But not having machinist tools, let alone skills, I get by making custom cauls quite often. That's a RPITA, not to mention the time it takes to assemble the whole shebang, pretty much precluding the use of HHG.

While shopping for a long radius beam at Guitars and Woods (Portugal, check their prices folks!) I stumbled upon a new jig of theirs for gluing broken headstocks they’re selling pretty cheaply.

Anyone tried it yet? I fully realize it's made of wood and I could make one of those, but hey, time is money.

http://guitarsandwoods.com/index.php?ro ... ct_id=4244

Pierre
Guitares Torvisse

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:29 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Allan
Last Name: Bacon
State: Kansas
Sorry, I read down and just got to yours. See my post here (viewtopic.php?f=10137&t=55157) for some ideas. What I don't like about this "jig" is that it still involves adding clamps with the resulting lack of how tight to tighten them.

These users thanked the author fumblefinger for the post: Smylight (Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:07 pm)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:49 am 
Mahogany
Mahogany

First name: David
Last Name: Radlin
City: Belle River
State: Ontario
Zip/Postal Code: N0R 1A0
I built one along the same line about ten years ago and it has served me very well since… my most used jig in fact.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 216&type=3

These users thanked the author dradlin for the post (total 3): Doc (Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:54 am) • joshnothing (Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:35 am) • Hesh (Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:19 am)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:19 am 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
dradlin wrote:
I built one along the same line about ten years ago and it has served me very well since… my most used jig in fact.

Very cool jig David!!

These users thanked the author Hesh for the post: dradlin (Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:42 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:48 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

fumblefinger wrote:
Sorry, I read down and just got to yours. See my post here (http://luthiersforum.com/forum/viewtopi ... 37&t=55157) for some ideas. What I don't like about this "jig" is that it still involves adding clamps with the resulting lack of how tight to tighten them.

They don't even show adding clamps in the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Q2evQIbp00

I'm not so sure that is adequately clamped up. I would definitely want to make some cork lined cauls to smoosh the knife edge ends of the break down nice and tight.

These users thanked the author jfmckenna for the post: Hesh (Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:48 am)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:43 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

dradlin wrote:

Very cool jig indeed David, very similar but quite clearly a better build. Gives me confidence that G&W's would work well enough.

Pierre
Guitares Torvisse

These users thanked the author Smylight for the post: dradlin (Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:48 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:45 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

jfmckenna wrote:
fumblefinger wrote:
Sorry, I read down and just got to yours. See my post here (viewtopic.php?f=10137&t=55157) for some ideas. What I don't like about this "jig" is that it still involves adding clamps with the resulting lack of how tight to tighten them.

They don't even show adding clamps in the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Q2evQIbp00

I'm not so sure that is adequately clamped up. I would definitely want to make some cork lined cauls to smoosh the knife edge ends of the break down nice and tight.

Right, I see this as quite possibly a good starting point but I agree with you, it will need some refining.

Pierre
Guitares Torvisse

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:15 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Just received the headstock repair jig from G&W. I'm happy to report that it's very sturdily built. Their stuff is usually very well made so that's no surprise. Almost can't wait to try it… ;-)

While I was at it, I couldn’t help ordering another 20" long aluminum radius beam to the collection… at 41€ a pop they are irresistible. Shipping ain't cheap, but it's very fast (3 days from Portugal to Canada) and is calculated in tiers, so I always add all I can to fill the box.

Pierre
Guitares Torvisse

These users thanked the author Smylight for the post: Hesh (Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:29 am)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:32 am 

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
Smylight wrote:
Just received the headstock repair jig from G&W. I'm happy to report that it's very sturdily built. Their stuff is usually very well made so that's no surprise. Almost can't wait to try it… ;-)

While I was at it, I couldn’t help ordering another 20" long aluminum radius beam to the collection… at 41€ a pop they are irresistible. Shipping ain't cheap, but it's very fast (3 days from Portugal to Canada) and is calculated in tiers, so I always add all I can to fill the box.

Pierre
Guitares Torvisse

Congrats on the new tools Pierre!

I wanted to suggest that if you have access to a surface plate we used surface plates to true up all of our leveling beams, we have over 20 of them and we used to check them every year on the plate too but discovered that they were not changing.

You can really dial in a beam on a surface plate and get even better results from it on guitars as a result.

These users thanked the author Hesh for the post: Smylight (Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:44 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:39 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: peter
Last Name: havriluk
City: granby
State: ct
Zip/Postal Code: 06035
Focus: Build
The first tool I put into my guitar work area was a granite surface plate I bought from Grizzly. Nice to have a dead-flat reference. Even came with a calibration report.

These users thanked the author phavriluk for the post (total 2): joshnothing (Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:24 pm) • Smylight (Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:45 pm)