Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Paint over a CA finish?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:04 am 
Mahogany
Mahogany

Focus: Repair
I recently routed the top off my Tele and made a new top from some nice figured poplar. The plan was always to do a tobacco sunburst with dyes and it turned out great.
But there are some visible joins on the edge of the body plus some other repairs I made in that area have visible edges. I'd hoped that a tight fit and black dye would make them all but invisible, and they're pretty hard to see, but still...I'm not happy with that state of affairs.
The poplar was very soft, too, so I decided to finish the guitar with Cyanoacrylate - something I've never done before, and something I storngly recommend that nobody does. Not ever. The fumes are horrific. Even with a vapour mask, I was getting flu like symptoms for days.
Anyways, I'm thinking I can hide the imperfections on the edges by spraying the black part with a black pint. I'm limited to rattle cans, but not sure what I can get away with using over the CA finish.
I'm led to believe that hardened suerglue is just acrylic, so I'd assume that an acrylic spray would be fine. Is that true? Would it melt into the existing finish like an acrylic lacquer does?
Also, I'd then need a clear coat, so I'm thinking of using acrylic lacquer. Would there be bonding problems, CA to paint to lacquer?
I'm currently experimenting on some offcuts, but if anyone can save me the time, that would be great.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:47 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: John
Last Name: Parchem
City: Seattle
State: Wa
Zip/Postal Code: 98177
Focus: Build
I use CA as a pore fill on some of my instruments. I always seal with shellac on top of the CA before I spray on another finish. I do not have the experience to answer your detailed question. Shellac bonds to CA and lacquer will bond to shellac. There are probably other lacquer friendly sealers that bond to CA.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:30 am 
Mahogany
Mahogany

Focus: Repair
It seems fine. I tried it on a few offcuts with the same stains and CA. The black ahdered fine to the CA and the clear adhered to both, so I guess I'll just go for it