Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Roy L
Last Name: Smith
City: Apache Junction
State: Az
Zip/Postal Code: 85119
Focus: Repair
No, not pictures of how I did it, que's about how I get ready to start. Guitar is the first one in my thread Italian Guitar Needs Plenty, or something similar. The dovetail looked miserable, I shimmed the mortise (dunno dovetail term, but the portion inside the guitar neck heel) so it was pinned pretty tightly to the new neck I used (or so I thought). Then when I strung it up, the string tension pulled the bottom of the neck heel away, giving way too much action. I have to remove the neck to understand what failed, but I'm suspecting the "mortise".

So first I need to rig up a fixture for removing the neck. Pictures I've seen look fairly straightforward, except the piece that holds the back and accepts two side mounted screw clamps from moving due to the curvature of the back, and dimensions to make it usable for any size guitar up to a dread. I've seen references to dimensioned neck removal jig plans for sale, but found no concrete examples I could actually purchase. Oh yeah, I'm a cheap ass. I need to build my own.

Second, I need to understand a process for, sawing, routing, (chiseling?) and shimming the "mortise" side of the dovetail, inside the body to match the shimmed neck portion I already felt good about. Can I get away with just measuring the side angles and dimensions and make replacement pieces I glue on after cutting the wings off the existing female side of the dovetail?

It's a spare time effort, I just want to see if I can do it, and actually, the guitar was looking pretty promising, so I would like to finish it and hear it play. Then find it a home where I never lay eyes on it again.
I do have an espresso rig so removing the neck is not a barrier, but I'd like to have the neck jig before I try anything. Appreciate any inputs/advice that would let me feel I'm ready to start. Thanks, Roy