Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:18 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Focus: Build
The ufb and first two ladder braces on the treble side peeling off on the ends and the whole side under the pick guard is concave and appears to be set that way from being in that state for a long time.

Any hope? Is it worth it?

Pat

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:20 pm 
Koa
Koa

State: Texas
Focus: Repair
Got pics?

Brace ends popping off on these models is very common

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:38 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Mark
Last Name: McLean
City: Sydney
State: New South Wales
Zip/Postal Code: 2145
Is it dry. It might be a good idea to hydrate in a big plastic bag for a while to see if the shape improves.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:47 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

DanKirkland wrote:
Got pics?

Lived in Missouri for a long time, then it lived in Florida for a long time....Image

Pat

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:26 am 
Koa
Koa

State: Texas
Focus: Repair
Pmaj7 wrote:
DanKirkland wrote:
Got pics?

Lived in Missouri for a long time, then it lived in Florida for a long time....Image

Pat

So to answer your questions, Yes it is worth it. The shape will not improve solely from hydrating it.

The best thing to do first would be to reglue all the brace ends. Second thing to do would be to replace the plastic bridge with a rosewood one. Third would be to replace the oversized spruce bridge plate with a maple one that's an appropriate size.

To remedy the concavity the only way I've ever had success on these is adding some beefy bracing around the soundhole. I usually add a brace on either side of it in the same fashion as an X braced guitar.

All that being said, these guitars will benefit from these modifications tremendously. They are great little blues fingerpickers. There is no point in keeping these original as the original design was inherently flawed.

EDIT: Keep in mind that these were built with a VERY tightly radiused top, so do not under any circumstances try to remove the prominent "belly" that they have as the braces are cut to hold the top to this shape. The top radius on some of the ones I've measured have been as tight as 12'. Just food for thought.

These users thanked the author DanKirkland for the post: Pmaj7 (Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:27 am)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:43 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Freeman
Last Name: Keller
What Dan says. I had an LG-1 cross my bench that needed almost exactly these same work. I don't remember a sever depression in the top but it did have one brace where the end was loose, the bridge plate was badly chewed up and of course it had the screwed on plastic bridge.

I was able to find a reverse belly rosewood bridge with the correct foot print, fortunately it did not have the saddle slot cut so I could do that after gluing it to the guitar. The plastic bridge was finished under it so I had to clean up to bare wood.

I lucked out and had a good neck angle so I didn't have to reset it. Guitar is a great player, I have pictures if they would help.

These users thanked the author Freeman for the post: Pmaj7 (Tue Dec 13, 2022 1:25 am)