PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:14 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Conor
Last Name: Searl
City: Duncan
State: British Columbia
Zip/Postal Code: V9L 2E5
I've been fighting with this most of the day.

Everything started totally text book. The fingerboard extension released cleanly, quickly and without much effort. Pulled the 15th fret and found the neck pocket on my first try. But as I proceeded to steam the neck apart, it wouldn't budge.

I'd scored the finish around the neck, and was able to get a tiny (very tiny) amount of movement and could see the finish was broken around the joint without any chipping. I got a palette knife in between the neck and the body, it seems like the cheeks were glued, so I worked that around the whole dovetail and got it mostly opened, but still no neck release.

With all my steam and effort the fret board started to separate over the neck more than I'd like, but I was at a loss, and figured since I'd have to re-glue it anyway I might as well take a look inside and see what's going on so I removed the extension.

Nothing obvious. I'm tired and frustrated.

This guitar had been re-topped at one point, so I suppose anything is possible as far as glue in the joint is concerned, but with how easy the extension came apart I assumed the neck would have been glued in the same way.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:20 pm 
Koa
Koa

State: Texas
Focus: Repair
If it was retopped it's likely got some tough glue in there that is not hide glue. How are you applyong pressure to the heel to push it out?

These users thanked the author DanKirkland for the post: Conor_Searl (Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:13 pm)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:15 pm 
Koa
Koa

DanKirkland wrote:
If it was retopped it's likely got some tough glue in there that is not hide glue. How are you applyong pressure to the heel to push it out?

The stew mac neck removal jig...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:16 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Chris
Last Name: Pile
City: Wichita
State: Kansas
Conor.... I got a tough one off once by padding the top with blocks and using a big c-clamp and a pad. I applied pressure with the clamp slowly, going a turn every 10 minutes. It finally slid out easy as you please, but it took a half-hour.

These users thanked the author Chris Pile for the post: Conor_Searl (Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:07 pm)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:59 am 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
Wow that is a tough one. We are known to take the steam probe and steam it all up in and around the joint from the outside thinking that too much glue glued the cheeks to the rim and such.

I like Chris's idea using time and patience to your advantage.

Just make sure that however you are pushing it out as Dan suggested that there is enough push. Some people who reset fit the dovetail so that a considerable "tonk" is necessary to seat it. Then with steam, moisture and expansion there is now a mechanical bond to the joint regardless of the glue. May be time for a bigger hammer which is what we refer to as a "Gibson Tool..." :)

These users thanked the author Hesh for the post (total 2): Conor_Searl (Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:08 pm) • Chris Pile (Sat Aug 14, 2021 6:20 am)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:07 pm 
Koa
Koa

Chris Pile wrote:
Conor.... I got a tough one off once by padding the top with blocks and using a big c-clamp and a pad. I applied pressure with the clamp slowly, going a turn every 10 minutes. It finally slid out easy as you please, but it took a half-hour.

Thanks Chris, I assume that during that half hour of wrestling with the C-clamp you were also keeping the joint heated with steam?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:10 pm 
Koa
Koa

Hesh wrote:
Wow that is a tough one. We are known to take the steam probe and steam it all up in and around the joint from the outside thinking that too much glue glued the cheeks to the rim and such.

Just make sure that however you are pushing it out as Dan suggested that there is enough push. Some people who reset fit the dovetail so that a considerable "tonk" is necessary to seat it. Then with steam, moisture and expansion there is now a mechanical bond to the joint regardless of the glue. May be time for a bigger hammer which is what we refer to as a "Gibson Tool..." :)

I was thinking that the joint probably needed some time to dry out a bit as all the moisture probably had swollen things a bit. Looking down into the exposed joint it does look incredibly tight.

So you don't mind hitting the outside of the joint with the steam? Blushing isn't a concern?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:11 pm 
Koa
Koa

I think I probably need to look at my steam source carefully too. It's an old espresso machine, but my steam needle has started belching as much water as steam...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:05 am 

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
Conor_Searl wrote:
Hesh wrote:

I was thinking that the joint probably needed some time to dry out a bit as all the moisture probably had swollen things a bit. Looking down into the exposed joint it does look incredibly tight.

So you don't mind hitting the outside of the joint with the steam? Blushing isn't a concern?

It's a concern but when it happens we deal with it. Some Martins from the 70's used tons of glue and the neck cheeks are firmly glued to the rim and this has to be done.

A steam probe the produces water is highly suspect as part of the problem here, I would replace it and whatever until I had a good source of copious amounts of steam.

These users thanked the author Hesh for the post: Conor_Searl (Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:45 am)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:59 pm 
Koa
Koa

I confess, I tried a mallet...

A little reconstructive surgery, and some blush to deal with but I win.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

These users thanked the author Conor_Searl for the post (total 2): DanKirkland (Fri Aug 20, 2021 5:01 pm) • Chris Pile (Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:39 pm)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:38 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Chris
Last Name: Pile
City: Wichita
State: Kansas
Don't force it - get a bigger hammer!
- My Uncle Bob, the plumber.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:44 am 
Koa
Koa

Hesh wrote:

I guess this might be one of the ones that required a considerable "tonk". Putting the neck back into the pocket this is as far as I can push it in by hand, and at this point it is tight to get out. It still needs to go another 1/8". There are no shims in the pocket, so I'm assuming when the guitar was re-topped (in the 70's) the repair person was able to simply remove the neck and reinstall it as it was.

So I suppose my question is...

If I find that once I remove the necessary material from the base of the heel to re-set the neck angle, and the dove tail is still very tight and won't seat all the way down, should I proceed as if there were shims and remove material from the actual dove tail until it sits properly?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:51 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Barry
Last Name: Daniels
Yes. Be aware that the application of wet glue will make the wood swell a bit so the neck will be even tighter when setting it.

These users thanked the author Barry Daniels for the post: Conor_Searl (Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:29 pm)