All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 2:59 am 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
Good stuff Chris. Before we started Ann Arbor Guitars we both ghost repaired for Herb David Music Studio.

The place had been for there 50 years and had a mixed reputation. This was were Dan E. got his start. One of the things that set clients off at times was the little yellow cards displayed on every guitar that said "Please Ask Before Trying A Guitar."

More than once people got in screaming matches because at G*itar C*nter you could ravage the instruments with reckless abandon letting belt buckles free range.... but not here. When you did ask for assistance they gave you a dirty towel to put in your lap before the Martin, Taylor, etc..... That offended the rest who were not offended by the yellow cards.

So this post is not about dumb stuff a customer might have said but dumb stuff the store said in their policies. This is why we never wanted to have our names associated with the store because of the mixed reputation that they had received.

I'll add they would not turn away work, we did all of the time but not this place. One time a client was walking down the stairs to leave with his 50's Kay arch top that he bought at a yard sale for $15 after we said it needs a neck reset and the price is $XXX. Client didn't even play and had no idea that a repair might cost more than "a couple of bucks, sheesh.." as he said to us and declined. We were going to decline but have and had learned to use "punitive pricing" to let others decided for us.....

So he's leaving outside with the guitar and the owner arrives and wants to know if the guy likes the work we did. He tells them what we said and that no work was performed and the owner then offered to turn the guitar into a lap slide and take it back in and give it to us.

We tell him to do it himself we already declined on the job. Anyway you can see where this is going.

So with all this offered customers do say dumb stuff at times and so do music store employees (especially with a 38 on the counter :) ) and owners. :)

We would take breaks on the sales floor and I often sold guitars off the wall while taking a break. When the store closed the owner asked me if I would help him out personally and try to sell some of the inventory. I used to teach sales and marketing for the biggest company in the world.

So I sat there for four hours presenting myself as the guy who see all that goes wrong with guitars and I sold over $35K of his inventory that single afternoon. Two more days and the store closed for good. It was a good time, rewarding too and the people that worked there were astonished that I had people literally standing in a line to ask be if "this is a good one or should they buy that one..."

The next day we stated our own new business and the store perished. That was April 1st 2013.

These users thanked the author Hesh for the post (total 2): Kbore (Fri Jul 28, 2023 9:12 pm) • Chris Pile (Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:23 am)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2022 12:28 pm 
Mahogany
Mahogany

First name: Yeaux
Last Name: Maumma
Focus: Repair
heres a few that i throw around the shop. i originally read them in a MMR magazine but i have heard all of them in person. now that you have read them, i promise you will hear them if you havent already. enjoy!!

#1 "i need to get my trust rod adjusted" [headinwall]
#2 "do you guys to guitar inclinations" :shock:
#3 "i need to jack off my amp" laughing6-hehe
#4 "do you guys replace podometers" :D

These users thanked the author Lou Thier for the post: Hesh (Sun Mar 06, 2022 3:36 am)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2022 3:11 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Chris
Last Name: Pile
City: Wichita
State: Kansas
This was back in the late 70's.... Customer was playing his Ovation Breadwinner through a Randall amp turned up pretty loud. The cord was shorting out, sounded horrible with all the crackling and screeching. The guy suddenly pulled the plug out of his Ovation, which resulted in a prolonged buzz from the Randall. He looked terrified, and turned the guitar up to his face, cooing "I hope I didn't hurt you, baby!".

I couldn't stop myself from chuckling, and he looked angrily at me... which sent me into hysterical fits of leg slapping guffaws. He finally put his guitar in the case, and stormed out while I cackled myself to death. He never came back.

These users thanked the author Chris Pile for the post (total 3): Kbore (Fri Jul 28, 2023 9:13 pm) • pkdz (Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:25 am) • joshnothing (Mon Mar 07, 2022 6:13 am)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 3:37 am 

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
State: Michigan
Lou Thier wrote:
heres a few that i throw around the shop. i originally read them in a MMR magazine but i have heard all of them in person. now that you have read them, i promise you will hear them if you havent already. enjoy!!

Well :) after reading this I am very glad that our shop does not service amps :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 3:58 pm 
Mahogany
Mahogany

First name: Yeaux
Last Name: Maumma
Hesh wrote:
Lou Thier wrote:

Well :) after reading this I am very glad that our shop does not service amps :)

Lol!!!! Yeah. Try as I may, I still get roped into it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author Lou Thier for the post (total 2): CraigG (Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:44 pm) • Hesh (Tue Mar 08, 2022 3:36 am)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:09 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Josh
Focus: Build
Guy today asked me to adjust the “Enter Notion” on his strat.

These users thanked the author joshnothing for the post: Chris Pile (Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:54 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:10 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Big
Last Name: Jim
State: Deep in the heart of Bluegrass
Chris Pile wrote:
Lou - welcome to the OLF.

I've been working on trem systems with vibrato arms since the late 70's. I've heard them called wobble sticks, wiggle sticks, whammy bars, flipsticks, gear shifter, bomber bars, dumper bars, even screaming bars. I've probably forgotten some of them I've heard through the decades.

"Dive Bar " is My Fav of ones Ive Heard

Forgiveness is the ability to accept an apology that you will probably NEVER GET
The truth will set you free , But FIRST, it will probably Piss you Off !
Creativity is allowing yourself to make Mistakes, Art is knowing which ones to Keep !
The Saddest thing anyone can do , is push a Loyal Person to the point that they Dont Care Anymore
Never met a STRONG person who had an EASY past !
http://wiksnwudwerks.blogspot.com/
http://www.facebook.com/groups/GatewayA ... rAssembly/

These users thanked the author WudWerkr for the post (total 2): Kbore (Fri Jul 28, 2023 9:14 pm) • Chris Pile (Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:42 am)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:41 pm 
Koa
Koa

Guy today rang up and asked for my recommendation of a pickup for his flattop. I asked him what type of music he performed, was the pickup for live performance or recording? And what size or type of venues would he perform in? All so I could recommend an appropriate unit. He screamed down the phone:

NO NO NO DONT START WITH THAT BS IVE BEEN PLAYING 40 YEARS. ANY PICKUP SHOULD BE ABLE TO HANDLE ANYTHING I CARE TO DO, YOU <censored> ARE ALL THE SAME. NOW GIMME YOUR BEST PRICE ON A QUALITY UNIT.

(He didn’t get my “best price”).

These users thanked the author joshnothing for the post (total 3): Kbore (Fri Jul 28, 2023 9:14 pm) • Durero (Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:02 pm) • Chris Pile (Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:15 am)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:15 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I'd invite him to eat poop and die, then hang up.

These users thanked the author Chris Pile for the post (total 3): Durero (Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:02 pm) • Hesh (Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:26 am) • joshnothing (Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:34 am)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:55 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

First name: Matt
Last Name: D
One funny story comes to mind: a customer repair ticket. Generally they'll have a brief description of what they need. All this one said was "Make sound better."

Another: one guy who was trying to insult my work to get a discount. "Oh my god. This looks like ****. I can't play this **** on stage!"

It was fine. Nothing wrong with the job at all. I had to take an additional moment to process the fact that this guy had never been in a band and had never played on stage anywhere.

These users thanked the author slightreturn for the post (total 4): Kbore (Fri Jul 28, 2023 9:15 pm) • Durero (Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:03 pm) • joshnothing (Thu Jun 09, 2022 3:47 pm) • Chris Pile (Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:01 pm)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:01 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Did you smash it in front of him?

I used to tell the whiners I could fix it so no one else can.

These users thanked the author Chris Pile for the post: slightreturn (Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:26 am)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 3:07 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Chris Pile wrote:
This guy wasn't a customer... I bought an electric guitar off a guy advertised locally on CL. It needed work, so I talked him down $50. The next day the guy called me back and said "I sold that guitar too cheaply to you. Will you come back and give me the other $50?".

SUUURRREEE Stand outside and wait for me !!! laughing6-hehe laughing6-hehe

Forgiveness is the ability to accept an apology that you will probably NEVER GET
Creativity is allowing yourself to make Mistakes, Art is knowing which ones to Keep !
The Saddest thing anyone can do , is push a Loyal Person to the point that they Dont Care Anymore

These users thanked the author WudWerkr for the post: Chris Pile (Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:56 pm)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:57 pm 
Koa
Koa

Just had a guy request a “very low action, no buzz” setup on his Les Paul. Ok. Then he tells me it needs to have zero buzz, even when played unplugged. I explain that even a well setup electric guitar might have a little rattle unplugged, and it’s considered acceptable as long as it is not audible through an amp. Laws of physics and so on.

Guy says: “nope, it has to be no buzz when played acoustically. I don’t own an amp, and I don’t intend to own an amp.”

These users thanked the author joshnothing for the post (total 2): Kbore (Fri Jul 28, 2023 9:16 pm) • Chris Pile (Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:00 am)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:01 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Did you tell him to GTHO and not come back?

These users thanked the author Chris Pile for the post: joshnothing (Tue Jun 14, 2022 5:33 am)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 5:33 am 
Koa
Koa

I told him that while I normally offer satisfaction guaranteed, in this case he’d be committing to pay me whether he was satisfied or not.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:27 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Just had potential customer on Reverb Tell me up front that my guitars look and sound great and that my Price point was great for hand built $999.00 + 150 Shipping. Asked a bunch of questions about one , gave him more vids of guitar being played , pictures of guitar detail. Said again that the guitar was what he wanted at the price he was looking for.................... Then Proceeded to offer me $200.00 less than asking price !! [headinwall] [headinwall] [headinwall] [headinwall] [headinwall] gaah gaah gaah

These users thanked the author WudWerkr for the post: Chris Pile (Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:44 am)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:44 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

He thinks you are as stupid as he is.

Reminds me of the guy who called me 10 days in a row asking questions about my vintage Studebaker. I sent him 150 photos, and he then drove all the way from Owensboro, Kentucky (with a rented trailer) to drive it. It was obvious he loved it, and had the gall to offer me $2000 less. I laughed in his face and said, "I know you want it - you called me 10 times and drove here to see it".

He drove home, and called me 3 weeks later... "You still have it?".... Full pop, baby! Plus he paid to have it delivered.

These users thanked the author Chris Pile for the post (total 2): Kbore (Fri Jul 28, 2023 9:18 pm) • joshnothing (Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:11 am)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:06 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Chris Pile wrote:
He thinks you are as stupid as he is.

Reminds me of the guy who called me 10 days in a row asking questions about my vintage Studebaker. I sent him 150 photos, and he then drove all the way from Owensboro, Kentucky (with a rented trailer) to drive it. It was obvious he loved it, and had the gall to offer me $2000 less. I laughed in his face and said, "I know you want it - you called me 10 times and drove here to see it".

He drove home, and called me 3 weeks later... "You still have it?".... Full pop, baby! Plus he paid to have it delivered.

Im kinda guy if he contacts me again Im gonna raise the price $200.00 and tell him .... Take it or Leave it !!! laughing6-hehe laughing6-hehe

These users thanked the author WudWerkr for the post: Chris Pile (Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:31 am)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:38 pm 
Mahogany
Mahogany

First name: Mike
Last Name: Hoenerhoff
State: MI
Zip/Postal Code: 48105
Hesh wrote:
I had a caller tell me that they had been banned from Elderly Instruments repair department so I told them where they could go and that they were banned with us too. I went on to say we are friends with our colleagues at Elderly and if they thought you suck I'm sure you do :)

So I got a bad review for that one and then I went against the grain and did what you are not supposed to do and that is attack the reviewer..... I told the story just as I have here what he said and how I refused him service over it. That review has become famous and dozens and dozens of our clients have said that they knew we were the place to go because we told the fool to stuff it.

Go figure.

Ooh you’ll have to tell me who this was…

These users thanked the author MikeH for the post: Kbore (Fri Jul 28, 2023 9:19 pm)