Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Aaron
Last Name: Hix
City: Chatsworth
State: Georgia
Zip/Postal Code: 30705
Focus: Build
Just a thought, would vegans have an issue with nuts/saddles made from shed antlers? Perhaps elk? The animals naturally shed their antlers yearly, so no harm to them, obviously..
One of the first guitars I built, I was about 15 years old, had an elk antler nut.

These users thanked the author A.Hix for the post: joshnothing (Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:12 pm)

Post subject: Re: The vegan option
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:11 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Chris
Last Name: Pile
City: Wichita
State: Kansas
Focus: Repair
How many people even know that deer, elk, etc., shed their antlers every year? My guess - darn few. And I bet antler would make an excellent nut - after all, it makes great knife scales.

These users thanked the author Chris Pile for the post: Hesh (Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:54 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:12 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Josh
That’s a great idea Aaron, thank you.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:53 pm 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
joshnothing wrote:
Totally understand where you are coming from Hesh.

At this point in my career, I’m probably the guy you’d refer the vegan guy to, whose time he can go waste :D

I would never do that to you Josh my friend I like you :) Now if I didn't like you...... :D

We have a practice of only referring people to people we vetted so our value add helps them. If they are someone who we would not want to deal with we won't refer and will get off the phone with them right away. Next. :)

To be clear we spend a great deal of time with our customers and do extra and special things for them. Dismissing someone is not our bag but we also recognize that we are not for everyone and won't let them ruin our day.

Dave was impressed and said so the first time I denied service to someone on the phone because when I asked them if they are OK wearing a mask in our non-public, private shop and they pushed back I simply said then have a good day, hung up and got back to the guitar I was working on.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:54 pm 

Chris Pile wrote:
I posted about the question of vegan guitars over on the Seymour Duncan Forum... Got quite the spread of attitudes and responses - some mocking, some way too serious, and a couple who missed the point entirely. But by far - the comment getting the most "likes" was this one: "Can I order one with Seymour Duncan Meat Lovers Humbuckers installed?".

Medium rare please :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:55 pm 

Chris Pile wrote:
How many people even know that deer, elk, etc., shed their antlers every year? My guess - darn few. And I bet antler would make an excellent nut - after all, it makes great knife scales.

Good point Chris. We tried it and still have some deer blanks here, it was too soft and way softer than cow bone. Think toe nail that's about how hard antler material is so it's pretty soft.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:00 pm 

A.Hix wrote:
Just a thought, would vegans have an issue with nuts/saddles made from shed antlers? Perhaps elk? The animals naturally shed their antlers yearly, so no harm to them, obviously..
One of the first guitars I built, I was about 15 years old, had an elk antler nut.

Hi Aaron we tried it and it's too soft but good idea and renewable as well.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:01 pm 

joshnothing wrote:
Chris Pile wrote:
I posted about the question of vegan guitars over on the Seymour Duncan Forum... Got quite the spread of attitudes and responses - some mocking, some way too serious, and a couple who missed the point entirely. But by far - the comment getting the most "likes" was this one: "Can I order one with Seymour Duncan Meat Lovers Humbuckers installed?".

That is both a funny line … and also thought-provoking. I’m imagining the thick, beefy sound of the neck pup through a twin-rectifier..

laughing6-hehe laughing6-hehe laughing6-hehe

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:44 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Hesh wrote:
A.Hix wrote:

If you cut it from the base of a really large elk antler, and section it correctly without getting into the “marrow” (not sure if that is the correct word for this case) it is plenty dense, and works pretty well.
An additional saturation of thin cyanoacrylate glue hardens it a bit more. Definitely more work, maybe not practical, but an option in a shortage of other options..

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:09 am 

A.Hix wrote:
Hesh wrote:
A.Hix wrote:

If you cut it from the base of a really large elk antler, and section it correctly without getting into the “marrow” (not sure if that is the correct word for this case) it is plenty dense, and works pretty well.
An additional saturation of thin cyanoacrylate glue hardens it a bit more. Definitely more work, maybe not practical, but an option in a shortage of other options..

We tested it and it was very soft and of course we are not using marrow or areas that were more porous than others. It is toe nail plain and simple and it grows about that fast too which is indicative of it's lack of density.

Lots of things will work as a nut but not all that many substances stack up to requirements for being durable, attractive, sustainable, available, workable, not political... and for those who buy in to it tonally superior.

We find quality cow bone from cows that use their legs, free ranging cows and unbleached, multi year treated as well (it's a process) to be as good as it gets and that's all we will agree with work with.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:41 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Bryan
Last Name: Bear
City: St. Louis
State: Mo
Hesh, are you talking about horn or antler? I have seen lots of horn sold as nut blanks. If I have not seen antler. I ask because you refer to it as like fingernail. Horn is basically fingernail. Antler is bone, though probably my much softer than cow femur. The antlers I have see. Are fairly “spongy” throughout but the tips/ends seem to be pretty solid. A larger deer/elk may provide enough dense material for a nut (I really don’t know). Sourcing and processing would probably not be worth it in general but it may be worth it to honor this special request.

Take care of your feet, and your feet will take care of you.

These users thanked the author Bryan Bear for the post (total 2): Hesh (Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:56 am) • A.Hix (Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:29 am)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:33 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I also wonder if mother of pearl would be considered vegan.. Shells that are found, rather than the harvested mollusk.
(Genuine) Lignum Vitae wood might work well for a nut. It is very hard (obviously still inferior to bone) and has sort of a smooth, waxy texture that may have some benefits as string slots..

These users thanked the author A.Hix for the post (total 3): Hesh (Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:07 am) • joshnothing (Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:50 am) • Chris Pile (Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:41 am)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:02 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Leo
Last Name: Pedersen
City: Bowen Island
State: British Columbia
Zip/Postal Code: V0N 1G2
Hesh wrote:
We find quality cow bone from cows that use their legs, free ranging cows and unbleached, multi year treated as well (it's a process) to be as good as it gets and that's all we will agree with work with.

Hesh I'm very curious to know if you or Dave have ever applied your UV-cured dental fill material to a nut made of anything other than bone?

Wouldn't a Corian + dental filled nut be just as durable as a bone + dental filled one, considering that the strings would be riding in the dental fill reinforced slots in both cases?

I fully respect your choices of materials and I'm not presenting this as an argument for how you should do things, I'm just genuinely curious to know if you've already tried this before and what the results were. Any chance to learn from you and Dave is super valuable as far as I'm concerned.

Leo

These users thanked the author Durero for the post: Hesh (Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:01 am)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:00 am 

Bryan Bear wrote:
Hesh, are you talking about horn or antler? I have seen lots of horn sold as nut blanks. If I have not seen antler. I ask because you refer to it as like fingernail. Horn is basically fingernail. Antler is bone, though probably my much softer than cow femur. The antlers I have see. Are fairly “spongy” throughout but the tips/ends seem to be pretty solid. A larger deer/elk may provide enough dense material for a nut (I really don’t know). Sourcing and processing would probably not be worth it in general but it may be worth it to honor this special request.

Both, neither is hard enough in our experience. We have some "black rams horn" blanks, obviously horn from LMI. We thought it might be a good alternative to black tusq but we don't like it either because it's WAY softer than bone. Looks just like black plastic too when polished.

We really dial in a nut as I say over and over here taking the slots very low. As such we need a durable material that will not wear though the last thou of height over a fret quickly. So for us nothing is better than quality bone.

We have tried elk, ram, fossilized mammoth, pretty much everyone that you find in these discussions and we always go back to bone. That's our experience and it's considerable.

These users thanked the author Hesh for the post: Bryan Bear (Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:54 pm)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:07 am 

Durero wrote:
Hesh wrote:

Hesh I'm very curious to know if you or Dave have ever applied your UV-cured dental fill material to a nut made of anything other than bone?

Wouldn't a Corian + dental filled nut be just as durable as a bone + dental filled one, considering that the strings would be riding in the dental fill reinforced slots in both cases?

I fully respect your choices of materials and I'm not presenting this as an argument for how you should do things, I'm just genuinely curious to know if you've already tried this before and what the results were. Any chance to learn from you and Dave is super valuable as far as I'm concerned.

Leo

Hey Leo - great questions and the answers are yes. I do a LOT of guitars a week and keep metrics. I'm going in now at 4:00 AM because there are seven waiting for me. Some will get a dental fill on a nut slot that is too low. I do this nearly every day.

So I have filled pretty much everything from plastic to original Iv*ry nuts on vintage Martins with dental fillings. It works well in my experience on everything.

How I fill is important. I acid etch, carve mechanical dovetails in the existing slot with fine nut files and then fill. So my fillings are mechanically connected to the nut and chemically bonded as well. Have not lost one yet.

So yes many other materials can be filled too and that is when preservation may be important in that removing a nut on a pristine vintage instrument may be unnecessarily invasive when we can fill.

As a point of interest Santana likes his nut slots filled with brass so he has different looks to the nuts on the various guitars that he plays but can have the brass tone if he wants it. What is the brass tone? Beats me.

These users thanked the author Hesh for the post: Durero (Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:15 am)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:26 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Conor
Last Name: Searl
City: Duncan
State: British Columbia
Zip/Postal Code: V9L 2E5
Hesh wrote:
As a point of interest Santana likes his nut slots filled with brass so he has different looks to the nuts on the various guitars that he plays but can have the brass tone if he wants it. What is the brass tone? Beats me.

Now I need to ask, how do you fill a nut slot with brass?

These users thanked the author Conor_Searl for the post: Hesh (Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:43 pm)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:44 pm 

Conor_Searl wrote:
Hesh wrote:

Now I need to ask, how do you fill a nut slot with brass?

I dunno who did or does it for him and we don't use brass either but Carlos likes to have brass lined slots on his nuts.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 5:35 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: george
Last Name: s
Focus: Repair
I've also used Tusq, seems to work well.

Conor_Searl wrote:
I guess for me Tusq would be an option. Their parts sound fine, I just hate working with them (like all of the man made nut and saddle options.) I find it unpredictable to work with, and before I know it I've cut a slot too low, or removed too much material.