It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Side puncture approaches
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 4:47 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Josh
Focus: Build
So this week I had a dreadnought arrive in the workshop with a puncture in the side at the location of an output jack:

The puncture is a little more than 3/4” in size. I’m told the guitar was dropped a few feet onto the jack. There was very little internal reinforcement in the area, and what was there was actually a bit askew from where the factory installed the jack.

The customer asked for a jack plate which could cover the damage. Various steel Les Paul style or oval plates from the parts bin didn’t quite fit the curve of the side, so I decided to make one.

I bent a .060” padauk layer and an .060” camphor layer to the right curve and laminated them cross-grain, like plywood. The result was very rigid. Some shaping, drilling and satin nitro and I had this:

I added .070 internal cross-grain reinforcement around the puncture to stiffen the side, hold a longer screw and help prevent any cracks propagating in future.

Now the jack is mounted firmly to the new plate, which bears against a wide stiff portion of the side, to hopefully handle future torque and impact loads on the jack a bit better.

I’m hopeful this repair will be robust enough and the customer is satisfied with it but I don’t like the look of a big jack plate like this on an acoustic.

My question is - what are some different approaches to fixing punctures like this around a jack? Perhaps which actually aim to repair the damage rather than reinforce and hide the area. I’d like to knock a few holes in my workshop test mule and practice some more aesthetically pleasing techniques for future use.

These users thanked the author joshnothing for the post: Chris Pile (Sat Dec 11, 2021 5:19 pm)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 5:20 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Chris
Last Name: Pile
City: Wichita
State: Kansas
Focus: Repair
That's as good an option as any, Josh. Wait until you get your first bullet hole.....

These users thanked the author Chris Pile for the post: joshnothing (Sat Dec 11, 2021 5:47 pm)

Post subject: Side puncture approaches
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 5:38 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Josh
Focus: Build
Thanks Chris. I’m still working on my repair chops, if anything like that shows up I’ll refer the owner to a luthier of greater caliber.

These users thanked the author joshnothing for the post: Chris Pile (Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:19 am)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:19 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Chris
Last Name: Pile
City: Wichita
State: Kansas
Focus: Repair
CLEVER! You are fitting right in here.

These users thanked the author Chris Pile for the post: joshnothing (Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:19 pm)